You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-01-05 15:21:01

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

PDI to ADI, my Story

Hey everyone.

I Just discovered this website yesterday... It looks great!

I just passed my Part2[2nd attempt] on Tuesday with just 3 driving faults... which was a huge improvement on my 1st atempt, where I had a big 'D' marked on my results sheet on my 2nd manouever!!

I think I will do a lot of browsing through this forum, as I am very unclear and undecided about how to do the next stage, so any advice will be gratefully recieved.
Note that Im in northern ireland, so anyone else doing training over here?

13-01-05 15:21:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

#2 18-01-05 16:51:42

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

well, i've just came in through the door from my very 1st part 3 lesson.
I was going through the whole proceedure of what is required , the 10 tests, and a string of books, diagrams etc to buy..

My trainer gave me the first of my briefings...T-junctions--emerging.

Have I really any clue, how much work is involved in this?? I think not!!..
Oh well, I'm committed now! :?

£50 for sitting for 2 hours listening to huge amounts of info, ill probably forget tomorrow....

#3 18-01-05 17:12:25

VandADI
Administrator

Hi JonnyG,
Congratulations on getting through part 2 and making a start on part 3.
There is a LOT of information to take in on Part 3, your every waking moment will be filled with PST's, and undoubtedly you will get to the fried brain syndrome, but you will get through this and you will reap the reward of getting that green badge. Get yourself a good set of diagrams, write out your briefings in your own words, if you tape the recordings of your briefings, you can go over and over them, adjusting them as necessary before you are happy with the final product.  Learn your PST's, ALL OF THEM, you will know when you are ready to take part 3 when you can honestly say to yourself that it wouldn't bother you which PST the SE throws at you because If you can  Identify the fault, work out why it has happened and rectify the problem it wouldn't matter which PST you get.  There should not be a PST that you dread the most.. 
Practice, Practice Practice those PST's and you will get that green badge.
VandADI

#4 18-01-05 17:48:49

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks vandADI.
as it so happened , i got myself a dictaphone and recorded the briefing, now my mp3 player can save its batteries, i will walk around, pretending im emerging from T junctions all day!!

Im training in N.Ireland, where I believe the pass rate is around 10% !!.
my trainer also gave me a phone number of where to get some colour diagrams, so will do this tomorrow.

Also, the Belfast test centre dont do PST 7, aparantly because the area, doesnt make this test practical, so thats only 9 i need to worry about!

#5 03-02-05 16:40:41

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well, I had my 2nd part3 lesson today.

started off role-playing the T-Junctions briefing.
I forgot totally about the open/closed junctions on the first time.

2nd time round, I tended to waffle a bit, but remembered about open/close.

I thought I did quite well for my 1st attempt at verbalising them, and instructor thought i did good.

Then we did the briefing for Crossroads and Turn in the Road manoeuver.

Man I still got a lot of info to take in and learn, but am on the way...no turning back now!!

#6 04-02-05 07:27:44

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Keep at it Jonny.

You are correct about PST 7, SE told me it was withdrawn for replacement, rumoured, phase one (part trained) -  Roundabouts. Phase two (qualified) - trainee about to sit part two :shock: Make sure you work on PST 4, right hand reverse also.

He also said there was no guarantee that it would not be reinstated, so maybe worth a quick read thru just in case. (there is no problem doing it in the area)

Good luck, study hard, get to grips with role play, practice hard and drive yourself round the area a few times (in instructor mode), your trainer will show you all the usual hot spots, just don't trip up others on their tests.

As far as the 10% pass rate goes, that depends on you and your trainer there are some trainers in that league and some with a pass rate nearer 80%!

Are you going on a trainee licence?

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#7 18-02-05 18:21:24

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well. My third teaching session went fairly good.
I started off briefing on crossroads and was pretty good, i took 10 and half mins to do it, so I need to tighten up slightly on it.
My trainer threw me when he answered a question wrong and I agreed with him- I gavepriority to to the car turning right across our path when we were turning left  roll

After a discussion about how I can tighten up a bit, we then did the turn in the road.

I knew I wasnt as good on this, so asked him to run through it again before i did it.

I slowly waffled through, with long pauses to read my notes, and forgot about doing a clutch control exersise.
But in the end I covered everything even if it was close on 15 mins!

Changed roles and he gave me a briefing on the Left reverse. By this stage he was shattered after a long week, and I was nearly having to promt him :shock:

O well. Back to the headphones I guess and no car radio, just briefing, rewind briefing rewind etc.

#8 26-05-05 16:40:20

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well. Its a while since my last post, but my training hasnt quit yet!!
Ive kinda been struggling with finances lately after being in an accident,(not mt fault, and was actually on my way to another lesson)

Ive now covered the briefings for, T-Junctions, Crossroads, TIR, Left reverse, Mirrors/emergency stop, and today I recieved the confusing, meet cross overtake one!

I think because of the slight break in training I'm beginning to feel the strain and wonder if I can really do this.

I was giving emergency stops to my instructor last time, and today I went through briefings for Crossroads, Left reverse, Mirrors/emergency stop, and I wanted to try T-junctions again, cos its been 2 months since i even looked at it.. I was pleased with how i did on them all, but my T-J was very sloppy.

Im still looking up and forward, thinking of getting a pink soon, when Ive gotten more confident, for use in my spare time to practice on freinds.

#9 26-05-05 20:43:00

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny,

Seems things are going ok with the training, if it wasn't hard you wouldn't get nearly as much satisfaction when you pass.

You might b pleased to know you don't need aPink to practice on friends and family if you don't charge them.

Keep at it!

Regards,

#10 21-07-05 16:36:07

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Just thought I'd give you all an update. (if your interested)
Ive now covered all my briefings and got them all on my mp3player which plays constantly in my car.

Today I was out just getting the feel of the driving part of the training.  My trainer was just driving round at loads of T-Junctions and crossroads.

At first I couldnt get anything to come out my mouth, cos there was so much to say on approach, about MSM, open'/clolsed junctions, all whilst watching the traffic and pedestrians, coasting and who knows what else.

I just feel draind by the realisation of how much info I've to spill out in such a short time from I'm told which direction to instruct him to turn at the junction.

It seems like I've got 4 or 5 seconds to explain everything...
This is way hard !!

Hopefully I can get it flowin soon!

#11 22-07-05 07:47:52

luchell

a pink teaching lots of different people will really help with the 4 or 5 seconds to get everything out type of thing. its instinct, you soon start flowing as they drive towards the junction it will become natural. good luck with the rest of part three training. how many hours have you done now? when do you hope to get a pink, unless you decide to use family and friends lol

#12 23-07-05 08:19:19

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi JonnyG,
we're always interested in how things are going for a fellow PDI and it's good to have somewhere we can go to discuss the problems we encounter as we go through this training.
I had the same problem as yourself at first when trying to get the info out... trying to give it all in one go and just a few seconds to get it across.
I was told to go for a drive around and just watch myself as I went, noting when I would start my MSM routine in my own mind when approaching junctions etc - then drive the same route again a few times starting my MSM earlier than I would normally do it giving myself more time to get the info across.
It took a few drives for it to start to get better, but it has helped me a lot as I now find I can run through the delivery more easily and cut out most of the waffling I was doing!    roll   
I'm not sure if I've explained it well enough - waffling again - but give it a go yourself and let me know if it makes any difference to you.
Cheers and best of luck with your training,
Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#13 23-07-05 10:19:52

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the encouragemant guys.

So far ive done 18hours of part3 training, although ive only just started doing the driving part this past 2 lessons.

I have been considering getting a trainee licence for a while now, but felt i wanted to wait till i got a real feel for what actually is required.

If i do I will probably do it part time when im nearly at test standard,

Im still working on trying to get rid of my notes for the briefings, and just have pointers on my colourfile page.

Doing the self assessment seems a good idea. Ill probably give that a go.

Thasnks guys,  Ive got exactly 1 year on wednesday coming to get through this, I hope to be ready for my 1st attempt by christmas at the latest.

#14 11-08-05 14:12:38

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well. I went and got myself engaged!!!

I have to think now about earning some extra money, so I went to see the boss of my trainer about starting on a pink licence.

I learned that the franchise cost is £180 per week./
I had been considering part time, as i work early mornings and am free to take lessons in the afternoon and evenings.
The franchise for part time is also £180 per week, because "it still costs the same amount to run a car, whether its full or part time"

I then thought about using my own car...this wil cost me £80 per week for sponsorship and supply of pupils.

Doing a quick calculation this means that if I go part time eg. 12 lessons per week at £22 per lesson (£264) take off £180 franchise and £20 fuel..that leaves me with £64 for my efforts....(£5.30 per hour)

So out of the £22,,,I get £5.30 and they get the rest??!!

Im looking at just finding my own pupils and still doing it part time, that way i can take advantage of the full £22.

One question is, does driving instructors insurance, cover me for using my own[same]car to go to my full time job? 
Also are dual controls universal, or do I need to look for controls for my skoda fabia from a supplier??

Im just spilling out some thoughts, please excuse me...

Jonny

#15 11-08-05 15:41:30

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jon

Have been reading your posts with interest   wink

Just so you are aware you cannot set up on a pink or advertise under your own name you HAVE to have a sponser school and work for them unfortuately - you will have to pay someone somewhere to sponser you by paying a franchisee fee

£22 is a great rate an hour many schools here charge £14-£18 max and £180 with car and pupils is not bad either - many schools here charge £240 plus depending on area

The pink is not for making money its for experience to get you through the part 3 if you are working and doing the Pink you are going to be very tired and not able to get your studies done

I recommend 10/20 hours a week on part 3 study - thats a lot but if the PDI's do it they sail (and literally) through the part 3 - last one with 5/5

I would think about this seriously - You say you are working full time - in early mornings how many hours a week do you already work? and what time do you get up ? etc - if a pupil wants a lesson at 6pm for 2 hours will you be able to stay awake after working 8 hours plus 4 hours pupils?

anyway - concentrate on passing the part 3 - thats the key get your green and then you can charge what you like per hour and keep all the profits and maybe even sponser your own PDI (if the DSA have not changed the rules)

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 12-08-05 11:05:11

Morgan
Verified Member

jeni wrote:

I recommend 10/20 hours a week on part 3 study - thats a lot but if the PDI's do it they sail (and literally) through the part 3 - last one with 5/5

Jeni,

Over what lenght of time is this 10/20 hours a week ??

#17 15-09-05 15:50:05

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well here I am again.
Its been a wee while but Ive got my licence form filled in and signed by a sponsor, just need to get 2 passport photos before sending it off.

I went and secured a car today..A vauxhall Corsa 1.3CDTi design.
When i test drove it I knew it was the car for me, visibility was good and handling too.

need to find a buyer for my own car nowto secure the finance.

now the hunt for insurance and dual controls..
What type of insurance cover should I need for part time teaching and also working full time?

#18 15-09-05 20:50:20

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny,

Glad to see you're about to get out on the road at last. Who's your sponsor?

Insurance is easy in England, don't know if the companies we use cover N.I. but try Waveney, or MCB in Cornwall or perhaps Master Cover.

Just had a browse through your website and noticed your affiliation to YFC. I used to be chairman of the local YFC here in Folkestone, it's now called What4 I'm still Chair of Trustees just can't seem to get anyone else to do it big_smile wink

Just to update you on my connections I married an N.I. girl (Janet Nelson)at the Crescent in Belfast some 19 years ago, in-laws live almost opposite Stormont.

Your contacts with the churches will provide a valuable base to build your business, but it will take a while, probably a year or so until you are really busy.

If there is anything I can help you with please feel free to ask.

Regards,

#19 16-09-05 12:59:23

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi bigred. My sponsor is bob gillespie here in comber. im training through Ians school of motoring with stephen morris.

At the min Im still trying to find some cash to deposit on the corsa and source out some duals on ebay. Once I get all this sorted I can get insurance and get going..

Im feeling way over my head in all this business stuff, but know ill get there in the end.

Ive been with yfc since 1998 as a volunteer in a drop-in here in comber.

Thanks for your relpy.
Jonny

#20 24-09-05 17:58:31

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I had what is probably my best lesson to date...
I met my instructor at 1pm, decided on pedestrian crossings and signals.
With me trying to get my car and stuff sorted out to start my pink, i didnt really look at my breifing notes prior to the lesson, and had 5 mins while he went to the toilet in the test centre (too much info)

went into breifig and did it in just under 10 mins, so need to sharpen up a little, also missed out crucial things like not stopping on a crossing in queues of trafic and not waving ppl on to the crossing or revving enging.

He did a short drive describing what he would say on a lesson, then handed over to me.

I did suprisingly well for a first attempt, and we were both well chuffed.

Im rweally starting to get a feel for this now and cant wait till i get my licence, Im more determined than ever now to succeed at this very soon.

Im picking up my car hopefully on tuesday, my duals are on their way and i sourced a fitter...now to find insurance !!!

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#21 30-09-05 17:50:36

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I drove away on wednesday in my Vauxhall corsa cdti design.
On thursday my dual controls arrived.
I have been sourcing dual control fitters here in NI and the main fitter is the motability place who charge from £160-£200 for fitting only, its £300 if they supply them. So I asked my trainer who fits his school's, went to see the man and he charges £80.  big_smile

I was wondering if I need to notify Vauxhall of the modification or if it will invalidate my warranty.

I dont know much about dual controls, and how they work. Are they easily disconnected for normal driving,  do the pedals have the exact same feel as the driver side pedals?

insurance over here for me as a part time pdi in my first year is over £800.

Im getting committed to this now!!! smile

#22 30-09-05 17:57:12

luchell

The duals as far as i know stay present in the car at all times? (until properly removed.I dont know of any you can detatch)

The dual clutch on both my schools cars felt completely different to the drivers side. one had an extremely low bite the other very high. The pedals are also set slightly too high compared to my last corsa. Its hard to use my dual clutch in this car where it is up so high you have to lift your entire leg so delays reactions a bit i found. Ive got used to it now so it doesnt matter lol

#23 29-10-05 15:09:15

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I see what you mean about the high clutch, cud do with a couple more inches on the pedal length, also my heels keep catching on the grooves of my mat.

I had my best lesson today, I know I said that last time, but today was better.
I was brave and asked to cover meet cross anticipation adequate clearance and overtaking.

I was well chuffed at the briefing, just 8-9 mins. On the drive the traffic was diabolical, worst my instructor had ever seen.  Plenty of cars to meet, oh and taxis too!! (do they count as cars?)

along with the teaming rain, we had a very successful lesson.
Im starting to realise the whole point of the part3 now...fault analysis and correction...Im good at recognising them, even pre-emting them, but analysis?? well lets just say, i need to work on that a bit.

I've got 8 people lined up for teaching, without a sponsor to help, and am giving a friend a free drive in my car tomorrow, as he has his test in november.

Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel now,,,or is it the start of the next tunnel??

#24 15-11-05 21:20:34

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Here I am again, with another installment of my own record of training.
Its really interesting reading back on this thread, remembering how Ive been feeling through all this.

Im finally getting to teach a real pupil on Thursday, Im meeting her at 3pm. Im told she has never even sat in the drivers seat before.

Ive been revising my controls and moving off and stopping breifings, and reading up about possible faults to look out for.

What do you people do on a pupils very 1st lesson? Do you explain a lot of stuff about the whole course..terms&conditions etc or is that done prior to the 1st leson?

I had a lesson on Saturday which was total rubbish.  I decided to try some manouevers and asked to coverthe left reverse.
I struggled through my breifing and then got really frustrated with not being able to tell how many turns of the wheel he did, or what angle the car is at.
I think I need to really go out and do some myself to get refrence points and take some photos.

Ive 2 more girls to contact about lessons on saturday as well, so Im starting to get stuck into the real thing now...

later....

#25 15-11-05 21:55:26

markA.d.I

On the 1st lesson, i explain all about the test and whats involved while showing them the appointment card which has all the aspects written on it with grades from 1-7 -- 7 being the test standard, which we will tick at the end of each lesson so they know roughly what standard they are.

On the back of the card are my terms and conditions .... make a big point of going through those and getting there agreement, cancellations will be charged etc.

Then licence and eyes and off you go into cockpit drill controls etc!

good luck, enjoyed your posts ... reminds me of the highs and lows i and everyone else on here have gone through at different points of are training ... best job going and well worth the effort .... keep up the good work, mark

Board footer