You are not logged in.

#1 16-06-04 02:53:07

Darren

Stop Sign

Hi there, i was wondering about stop signs. My old manual driving instructor, told me that i should stop all 4 wheels, and apply the handbrake. If i didnt do this in a test, they would mark me down on it. I knew i had to stop all 4 wheels, but the handbrake?

My new instructor, (auto), when i asked him do i have to apply the handbrake, he said, he didnt think you had to apply it atall at a stop sign, aslong as you were stopped. Can somebody clarify this? And do i have to apply it in an auto?

16-06-04 02:53:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Stop Sign

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-06-04 06:01:26

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

You Dont have to apply handbrake, as long as you STOP the car!  If you are on a hill or can see you will be stopped for more than 5 seconds then apply handbrake!

If you can see that you can move off safely, once you have stopped, then there is no reason to need to apply handbrake, unless you cannot get car moving without it!

If you don't STOP on test you will get a serious for not reading road signs!

#3 16-06-04 08:55:40

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
the reason you were probably asked to put the handbrake on is to prove without any doubt the car has stopped. It also removes any temptation to slow and go without actually stopping.  smile

#4 16-06-04 12:17:16

Gizmotime
Administrator

adi
I have to agree with you on that point,IF you apply the handbrake then there can not be a shadow of a doubt that you have actually brought your car to a complete stop.

Sorry I don't mean to imply that Robbie is wrong,he ISN'T.

Giz smile

#5 16-06-04 13:50:33

DAVE-ADI

The handbrake is a PARKING brake.  You only need to stop the wheels from rolling at a stop junction,  if it's clear you carry on.   Only use the handbrake, as Robbie says, if you have to stop for more than a few seconds.  You won't fail the driving test if you don't use it, as long as you actually stop the car behind the line.

#6 16-06-04 14:11:25

Darren

Thanks for clearing that up lol  8)  big_smile

#7 16-06-04 22:56:02

CarADI

Agree 100%, only apply parking brake if necessary. Read this somewhere but no time to look it up now. DSA also go with this and they are the ones that set the rules. So remember the words, 'if necessary'. Ask your ADI to check it out and show you.

#8 17-06-04 07:43:08

adi
Verified Member
Website

Why do people on this site take every definition to the absolute extreme??
Yes the handbrake is for parking but as mentioned, if you stop for more than a few seconds put it on. If you do this in a slow moving traffic queue when it keeps stopping your not parking are you? the same as when you stop at a junction to wait for traffic. I have 'SOME' pupils who are to eager to try and go at stop lines so i tell them to stop and apply the brake to ensure they have stopped and they take a 'proper' look before emerging. On test, some do and some don't but as far as i know none of the pupils that did use the handbrake have ever been arrested by the FBI for it so why not. As long as it ensures the pupil has 'stopped' at the line and acted safely it really doesn't matter whether they put it on or not. If i remember back to my part 2 i was advised to at one particular stop line to prove i had stopped without any doubt.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 17-06-04 18:33:53

Darren

adi wrote:

Why do people on this site take every definition to the absolute extreme??

:shock:  i was simply asking a question, im not an ADI like you, im a learner. Learning also means asking questions that your not 100% on. I had 2 different answers from driving instructors. I wanted to confirm the answer.

#10 17-06-04 19:06:21

adi
Verified Member
Website

Thats okay mclaren, i wasn't referring to you. I gave an explanation to why you may have been told to use the handbrake. It doesn't matter whether you do or not. But whenever you give explanations on this site everyone starts quoting and poking!

Somethings are black and white with driving and motoring law especially, but there are so many variables, some things overlap, as with this very subject as to whether the handbrake should or shouldn't be used.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 18-06-04 00:14:23

Darren

adi wrote:

Thats okay mclaren, i wasn't referring to you. I gave an explanation to why you may have been told to use the handbrake. It doesn't matter whether you do or not. But whenever you give explanations on this site everyone starts quoting and poking!

Somethings are black and white with driving and motoring law especially, but there are so many variables, some things overlap, as with this very subject as to whether the handbrake should or shouldn't be used.

Sorry, i thought you were moaning at me for asking a "stupid" question :oops: .

I dont know what my manual driving instructor was on then.

As i said before, thanks everybody for the clarification

#12 18-06-04 07:14:58

Liesa

mclaren there's no such thing as a stupid question!

You ask whatever you want to wink

#13 26-07-04 12:30:49

Anonymous

STOP SIGN U SHOULD STOP ITS UPTO U WETHER U PUT UR HAND BRAKE ON SO THE ANS IS  AT UR DISCRECTION .BUT SOME INSTRUCTORS TELL U TO PUT IT ON U DONT FAIL FOR THAT BUT U WILL FAIL IF U ROLL BACK OR U DONT STOP FOR LONG ENOUGH. SO TO B SAFE PUT UR HAND BRAKE ON

Board footer