You are not logged in.

#1 25-02-04 23:26:41

jonks

!!!!!!!! tail lights!

I just taught my girlfried to drive.

OK, it took six tests to get her through but we did it in the end...

On the fifth test, we turned up, waited in the waiting room and when my girlfrien whent out on her test I crossed my fingers. Three minuter later my Girlfriend came running into the waiting room shouting about one of the tail lights not working. I ran outside and sure enough, one of the tail lights was out.  30 seconds away (If that) there was a garage. I could have baught a new bulb, put it in the car and had the car to test standard within about 5 minutes but the examinar was having none of it.

£40 later we managed to get her through her test but I think the examinars have a hidden agenda when it comes to time.

Anyone else had a bad time at the test center?

25-02-04 23:26:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: !!!!!!!! tail lights!

#2 26-02-04 11:19:03

Liesa

Jonks

As far as I'm aware they're supposed to give you 5 minutes for emergency repairs! I know they would in our area under such circumstances. Or was it just because you had to leaver the DTC to get the repair done?

#3 29-02-04 23:04:39

skier

All ADIs carry a batch of spare bulbs, just in case ..................

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 29-02-04 23:06:04

skier

skier wrote:

All ADIs carry a batch of spare bulbs, just in case ..................

and have had occasion to use one or two. Electric screwdriver comes in handy too, for quick work.

#5 29-02-04 23:12:31

jonks

I wish I had had the foresight!  My girlfriend got turned away and I have never seen anyone cry so much! She had had so much bad luck with tests and when she found out how long she would have to wait for her next test, she was so upset.

Fortunately, thanks to a local AA instructor, she passed her next test with flying colours.

Can't get her out of her car now! God knows why, Its a right old banger!

#6 01-03-04 07:22:35

bigred
Verified Member
Website

It still takes my local garage 15 minutes to change a bulb, carrying spares doesn't seem to help as examiners would only allow 5 minutes.

Anyone else find it's almost impossible to change the wretched things?

Regards,

#7 01-03-04 08:32:02

Liesa

I've managed to get changing the bulbs at the rear of my car down to 10 minutes, that's the trouble with these new cars that have the light clusters on the rear pilars.

#8 02-03-04 23:33:58

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

It took me over 10 minutes and 2 plasters :shock:  today to change a taillight bulb on my car ( a new model Fiesta ) so if  this happens on a test i dont stand a chance of getting it finished in 5 minutes.

#9 03-03-04 07:28:37

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I suppose we all ought to do a bulb check at the start of any test lesson - Roll on the Spring! I love my warm car.

Regards,

#10 05-03-04 12:37:50

pageant

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I am aware a tail light not working is only actually illegal at night and although it needs fixing asap the examiners decision to cancel the test should be discretionary, depending on the actual need or otherwise for the light during the following half an hour or so. If it was a bright sunny day I would be pretty bleep off if the examiner decided to be that inflexible!

#11 05-03-04 13:23:15

muffin

All lights and lenses must be clean and in good working order even during daylight hours. They must be correctly adjusted in order they do not dazzle other road users.

Jeff

#12 05-03-04 13:34:51

jonks

It was also spitting with rain when she wanted to go out on her test so she had to have lights on. The examinar wouldn't even get in the car.

#13 05-03-04 13:47:56

pageant

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply but I cant find anything that substantiates your statement from a legal perspective. Where is that precise phrase that you quoted written? Thanks. There's a world of difference between should/must, legal/illegal and discretionary/inflexible.

#14 05-03-04 14:27:04

pageant

Hi Tonks- again I find this a very interesting subject as although I always tell my pupils to put the lights on for a test if it is even just spitting with rain- I am doing this for the examiners benefit as they expect a full ultra safe procedure for test purposes. The use of lights during daylight hours is actually down to the drivers discretion depending on visibility conditions and therefore very light rain does not require use of lights. Common sense will tell you when lights are appropriate. Of course if you fail to use the lights appropriately during daylight hours especially in poor visibility then this does become a legal issue that is not only hazardous but will leave you open to the full and rightful force of the law!

#15 06-03-04 14:46:49

DAVE-ADI

THE DSA is within it's rights to cancel a test because a side light is not working.   The car is deemed not roadworthy,  just as it is if you went for MOT with a faulty light, whether it's raining or bright sunshine.
If it's a headlight, then there is a case that you should not drive,  but a side light?

I'm not defending DSA, because already two of my colleagues have had tests abandoned for fauilty lights.  Common sense should have been used, as the lights wouldn't have been needed,  but common sense isn't in  DSA's dictionary.
If it's a headlight, then there is a case that you should not drive,  but a side light?

On one of the tests I am referring to above,  the pupil and ADI checked the lights were working just prior to going into the waiting room.  When the pupil went out with the examiner, one of the side lights was out.  It turned to be a faulty connection, disturbed by the bonnet being shut a little bit too hard. 

If you were pulled by a police officer for having a light out during the day, you wouldn't be forced off the road.  Yet that is what DSA are doing.  Our cars are now effectively being subject to an MOT  every time you go for a test,  and I had three tests this week. 
The chances are that before long it's going to cost me a lot of money. 
I cannot change the bulbs in my car in 5 minutes, neither can the garage.

Did you know that DSA could also cancel a test if your third (high level) brake light is not working?   I don't know if an examiner actually would or not, but I have it in writing from DSA that it is part of an MOT check and therefore if faulty makes the car unroadworthy.

#16 06-03-04 16:06:00

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

The rules for vehicles on the road regarding lights: as far as I am aware if a vehicle is only used on the road during daylight hours it doesn't need lights to be fitted. However if lights are fitted they must be in working order at all times.

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#17 06-03-04 18:08:46

muffin

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay in replying but computer has been ill :x  :x
Fixed now though

see the following link for light regs.
Lighting regulations - traffic

Defective lights
It is an offence to use a motor vehicle on a road at any time of day or night, with lights fitted by law not being in good and efficient working order.
Note: Lights include lamps, reflectors, rear markings and indicators.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/in … asp?id=143
Jeff

#18 06-03-04 19:23:36

pageant

THANKS FOR THE LINK JEFF BUT EVEN THE POLCE WOULD USE DISCRETION ON THE MATTER AND MERELY ADVISE ESPECIALLY DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS. IN ANY CASE IT IS STILL ABSURD FOR EXAMINERS TO CANCEL A TEST ON A TAIL LIGHT IF IT IS OBVIOUS THAT NO SUCH LIGHT WOULD BE REQUIRED. THE POLICE USE FLEXIBILITY WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE LAW SO WHY THE HELL ARE EXAMINERS SO RIDICULOUSLY RIGID. EXAMINERS ARE ENTITLED TO CANCEL A TEST IF THEY DEEM THE CAR UNROADWORTHY.IT IS NOT HOWEVER, MANDATORY. A LITTLE COMMON SENSE SOMETIMES PLEASE, EXAMINERS!

#19 06-03-04 21:27:27

DAVE-ADI

It's DSA policy, not up to the examiner.  When TMSM first started, our examiners were OK with letting a faulty side light go, until those on high decreed otherwise.

#20 09-03-04 17:11:42

rachdrive
Website

Hi All,

I have a clause within my T & C's, that states all lights etc will be tested on lesson before the test and should a fault be found then it will be rectified.
If however a bulb fails at the start of the test(bulbs tend to go when switched on!!) Then all that can be done will be done, but the instructor is not at fault and all fees will still be payable (this could happen if pupil went with mum or dad).

So far NOT 1 of my pupils have disagreed with me smile

Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#21 11-03-04 00:09:12

Lynne
Verified Member

I have a Focus and although so far I've not had a faulty bulb I have read that it's impossible to get these changed in 5 minutes too......
Lynne  :?

#22 11-03-04 05:27:47

pageant

hey lynne, I too have a focus and a month or so ago someone told me my rear nearside tail light was out. It took me about 30 mins just to get the casing off! only to find when I changed the bulb that it still didn't work! I would keep my eye on the lights if I were you as the garage told me there was a fault with some focus's bulb holders.

#23 11-03-04 06:49:42

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

One of our cars is a VW Polo (2003)

When a headlamp bulb went recently the instructor happened to be at the VW dealership.  It proved so tricky changing the bulb that the mechanics came out to help,  they then took the car in to the workshop to get better access.   After about 30 minutes the new bulb was working.

On my Peugeot 307 there are so many cables pipes and hoses that you can only change the f/n/s headlights by feel. Once your hand is fiddling with the bulb holder you can no longer see what your doing!

I now always check the bulbs again as soon as we arrive at the test centre just incase.

Perhaps when we test drive new cars we should also test how quickly and easily we can change the bulbs !

One problem I have found is that when you ask a heavey handed pupil to check if the headlights are working they often switch the lights on and then immeadiatly off and sometimes on again within about 2 seconds resulting in at least one blown bulb  aaaggghhh !

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

Board footer