You are not logged in.

#1 29-06-04 17:09:05

Folk

Just CAN'T Get It!

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :?  :?  :?

I've tried and tried, but to no avail - I have a totally mental block when it comes to turning the steering wheel the right way as I'm reversing.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :?  :?  :?

Disheartened Folk

29-06-04 17:09:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Just CAN'T Get It!

#2 29-06-04 18:14:25

Tarmac

yikes

How does your instructor tell you to do it ?

#3 29-06-04 19:15:40

Midge
Website

When you are reversing, looking out of the rear window, pretend it is the front of the car and steer the way you want the car to go.   Do not refer to it as "left" or "right",  just closer to the kerb or further away from the kerb.  When doing all round observation, don't look at the front of the car, it will be doing the opposite of what you want to do and will confuse you, look at the road and then straight to the rear of the car again
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 29-06-04 20:09:40

adi
Verified Member
Website

To move towards the kerb, steer towards the kerb,
To move away from the kerb, steer away from the kerb.

#5 29-06-04 21:44:18

Folk

Tarmac - Welcome to the site!  Are you a Learner?  To go back to your question, my Instructor has drummed it into me how to do it and which way to turn the wheel and I think I've got it, but when I come to do it, I get confused again.  It's not his fault.  It's so embarrassing and I feel such a fool.   :cry:

Thanks adi,

I know it sounds obvious - and in theory I can do it, but when it comes to the practicality of it, I lose the plot!   roll

Folk

#6 29-06-04 22:01:23

Badger

Ask yourself a simple question.

Looking out of the rear window say to yourself "Which way do I want the back to go ?"

Turn the wheel towards that direction.

Hope that helps

Badger

#7 29-06-04 22:20:02

jonks

Heres a little tip that I made up myself ...

the thing is, the human body can cope with going forwards - turn the steering wheel to the left to turn left and turn the steering wheel to the right to turn right.

Even when reversing you turn the steering wheel to the left to turn left and to the right to turn right...

I bet if you reverse whilst looking out of the front of the car you will turn the wheel the right way...

the problem comes when you reverse and turn your body to look out of the reer window. All of a sudden you are looking in the other direction to your hands on the wheel, and your body tries to do what it would do if you were looking out of the windscreen. Your automatic actions are to do exactly the oposite to what you should do.

Heres a little trick to cambat this... (Instructors take note  smile ) Ask your instructor to put two yellow boxes, (paint a matchbox) one on the right of the dashboard and one on the same side of the parcel shelf . (ie. both on the drivers side). Then put two red boxes on the other side, one on the dash and one on the parcel shelf.......

Now when you are reversing and you want the car to turn towards the yellow box, you just make sure that you turn the steering wheel towards the yellow box on the dash board.

After doing this for a while you will be able to do it without the boxes.

Try it  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 30-06-04 08:33:18

Folk

the problem comes when you reverse and turn your body to look out of the reer window. All of a sudden you are looking in the other direction to your hands on the wheel, and your body tries to do what it would do if you were looking out of the windscreen. Your automatic actions are to do exactly the oposite to what you should do.

..... this is exactly my problem!

Folk :cry:

#9 30-06-04 09:04:44

Natalie

I am currently training to be an instructor and when I went out with my instructor was told that most women can not work backwards.  She did a test on me and she was right but yet the bloke I was with got it right.

Try getting your instructor to say something like "to me" "to you" instead of left or right.

Keep trying you will get there.

Natalie  big_smile

#10 30-06-04 09:53:57

Kev
Verified Member
Website

When reversing try braking it down into smaller sections .If you go back about half a cars lenght and stop have a look at the position if your a bit wide steer towards the kerb go back a little bit more and have another look and so on.
Dont worry how long it takes to get around the corner (its not a race) lol

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#11 30-06-04 10:24:35

Liesa

Hi Natalie

Is your trainer a man by any chance?

Don't believe all you're told, in my experience just as many men have trouble with reversing as women do wink 

The only difference is that the men tend not to want to admit they have a problem lol

Folk

Plenty of good advice above, just keep practising and you will get there!

Jonks

As far as teaching someone to reverse is concerned, the simpler the technique the better, let's not confuse matters. And what happens when they go out and buy a car of their own, will they have to place little matchboxes in the corners of the windows?

#12 30-06-04 12:39:01

Midge
Website

The reason I rell my pupils "towards the keb" or "away from the kerb" is because most peoples brains, in the early learning stage, can't change quickly enough.  Left when facing forward, is not the same place as left when facing the rear.
I find it isn't which sex you are but what your favourite toy was when you were a child.  If it was a pedal car, your co ordination and steering direction will have already sorted itself out,  but if it was a doll and pram, no.   
So all you parents of todlers out there, get your kids a padal car (not battery) and you will save pounds on their driving lessons in years to come.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#13 30-06-04 14:37:01

Natalie

Hi Liesa

No my trainer was a woman.  Didn't quite believe her really I think it is just one of those things that people have a problem with I guess.

Just a quick question as I am sure it is the same for PDI's and learners.  When reversing round a corner does the car have to keep moving or can you stop and then go again and then stop and so on?

Nats

#14 30-06-04 17:35:34

DAVE-ADI

I currently have a couple of learners who have the same problem.

They  get confused because they are thinking about the front and back of the car, rather than the whole car.       

At the point of turn I ask them to stop, and ask themselves  'where do I want the car to go now'  then point, then turn the wheel they way they have pointed.
When we get round the corner they stop again and go through the same procedure.

Similar to the other advice given above, isn't it?  You just gotta keep at it  and persevere until it finally clicks into place.

#15 30-06-04 18:40:09

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Stopping and starting as you go around the corner is ok.
I get my pupils to do this and have never had a problem, even on tests. smile

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#16 01-07-04 01:37:13

jonks

Nobody thought my red and yellow boxes idea was good.  :x

I thought it was brilliant!  big_smile

Nemind

#17 01-07-04 10:12:18

DAVE-ADI

At least ONE person thought it was brilliant then.  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 02-07-04 00:47:42

Darren

jonks wrote:

Heres a little trick to cambat this... (Instructors take note  smile ) Ask your instructor to put two yellow boxes, (paint a matchbox) one on the right of the dashboard and one on the same side of the parcel shelf . (ie. both on the drivers side). Then put two red boxes on the other side, one on the dash and one on the parcel shelf.......

Now when you are reversing and you want the car to turn towards the yellow box, you just make sure that you turn the steering wheel towards the yellow box on the dash board.

After doing this for a while you will be able to do it without the boxes.

Try it  smile

Good tip there jonks big_smile  It works in theory, but in reality? I think it will...............

I personally dont have trouble reversing around a corner, but it might help others smile

#19 02-07-04 00:48:23

Darren

jonks wrote:

Nobody thought my red and yellow boxes idea was good.  :x

I thought it was brilliant!  big_smile

Nemind

pmsl. so do i lol

#20 24-07-04 18:26:59

Anonymous

HAVE U TRIED REVERSING BACK IN  STRAIT LINE TRY THAT AND WHEN U CAN DO THAT THEN TRY A CORNER AND DONT THINK LEFT OF RIGHT THINK TURN THE WHEEL TO THE KERB OR TURN AWAY FROM THE KERB REMEMBER ITS JUST A MACHINE AND IT WILL DO WHAT U TELL IT, IT CAN TAKE TIME TO DEVELOPE THE NEW SKILL SO DONT THINK THAT IT WILL COME AFTER A FEW LESSONS IT COULD TAKE AWIHILE LEE TIP IS MORE PRACTIISE AND THEN SOME MORE

Board footer