You are not logged in.

#1 09-11-05 08:27:30

JDS
Verified Member

When is the best time.....

to go indy?

as soon as i pass pt3 ? or maybe wait `til summer ? is there a good time?
and.... indy straight away or franchise first?

been self employed before (in another job) so not too worried or frightened by the idea, so would i learn any more by starting with a franchise? or would that just cushion me into never going indy?

all POV`s welcomed lol

jason

With great power comes great responsibility

2nd time around - there wont be a third

09-11-05 08:27:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: When is the best time.....

#2 09-11-05 08:30:24

sparkle

I was with a school for 18 months before going solo...best thing for me..it  gave me a name around barking & Ilford (no not that kinda name lol ) and instant pupils on tap big_smile

If i had gone solo from part 3 pass..i would have had the hassle of advertising , NOT FOR ME..and no pupils!!!

So, personally school then solo is best way. I went solo in December...worked fine.

#3 09-11-05 09:03:20

pj
Verified Member

always say better to walk before you can run, like sparkle I was with a school for a year,  it can be a bit daunting at first so its reassuring to have a school to turn to for advice etc...but then I didn't know about this forum then, I then timed it that I went indy when my advert came out in yellow pages etc, not looked back since big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 09-11-05 09:09:55

bigred
Verified Member
Website

For some people there is not always a best time!

Sparkle (bless her big_smile ) is always going to get work as she's a complete nutcase and loved by all her pupils. Not everyone is like that (can you imagine? :? )

Anyway, if you are with a driving school, make sure you are getting at least 2 recommendations a month before considering any move. Feb/March is a better time than now. Plan to coincide with new issue of yellow pages (if using them). Have a decent business plan in place and work really hard at your business for a couple of years.

I have one instructor who's been with me years, doesn't get more than one rec per month but has an excellent record with pupils. I doubt he will ever leave, he likes the easy life and is just not a risk taker.

Got to go.

Regards,

#5 09-11-05 10:14:06

luchell

urmmmmm ive been with bsm since may 23rd, passed part three august 18th this yea im leaving on the 12th jan to either start on my own or be with a really small school of which ill be the third instructor.

I dont think ive picked the best time but at this rate with the fees crippling me im going to sinkkkkk :shock:  wink

So why not, im abitious (sp?) i have this forum for help lol  and ill give it everything ive got. If it doesnt work out i can always go back :shock:(unlikely ill find somewhere else!!)  But its hard to make a name for yourself at bsm as youre just another car on the road. Word of mouth yes, but ive had a lot phoning the office asking for the 'young female theyve seen with brown hair' does it work?? No they put em in someone elses diary cos im full of bsm pupils :cry:

Recommendation phones asks specifically for me, do i get her... no diarys too full but i need her reall. They stuff her in someone elses diary even though there was one gap. Now has a bsm supplied pupil in it :cry:

Answer go it alone so i can begin to get recognised for my hard work.

Not the best time of year but i think anytime will do right now! I dont want to run before i can walk. I have recommendations coming in i just dont get em in my diary!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 09-11-05 10:28:05

Django

luchell wrote:

I have recommendations coming in i just dont get em in my diary!

That's outrageous. Even if I'm on hold from AA (which I have been since I started with them) I still get my rec's without pupil intro fees. This is why you need control over your own diary. I can always make room for them or they are usually happy to join the waiting list rather than go with another instructor.

#7 09-11-05 11:26:40

luchell

youre telling me django! Soon sort that out eh!

#8 09-11-05 13:06:40

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I was with the AA for a couple of years first, with them i found i could build a name for myself, i got a website made and put the address on the car, with name and phone number. I dont think BSM would allow that.

I would say just before summer, to be the best time to start.

#9 09-11-05 14:37:22

WOOF

Have you thought of an AA franchise luchell?

Most AAers seem pretty happy.  smile

#10 09-11-05 17:10:51

Target
Verified Member
Website

Sounds like dodgy B$M branch manager to me, not running the shop well.

So theres no incentive for any B$M instructor to get their own referells. Sure it keeps the branch running and everyone happy, but if you teach Jane, you want John, Jenny, and Joe because they all think your great.

As Django says:.... If a pupil calls the AA and says..... I want Keith i live in Enfield the AA will give me a call, or they tend to leave a message on Insite with the details asking me to contact pupil or decline them.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#11 09-11-05 19:59:24

andywoodbridge
Website

I went straight to a green badge (No Trainee) and then went straight indy. I had a full diary within 3 weeks and have never looked back. lol  However, i do know some ADI's that are really struggling and i'm currently passing work to some. I think my successful start was down to a number of things:
:arrow: making my driving school look 'bigger' than it was (its all in the name) 
:arrow: starting all my new pupils on 2 hour lessons (half the pupils req'd)
:arrow: never sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring (parking in the town centre and outside colleges at peak times, to get noticed)
:arrow: and making good friends of all the pupils i have (recomendations are all you need)

I would much rather spend money on advertising my own school than paying a franchise fee to advertise someone elses driving school

"of course you can't become if you only say what you would have done"

#12 09-11-05 20:29:58

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy,

Great work to get established in that time - just a couple of quick notes.

[list]If you start pupils on 2 hours it fills your diary up quicker - but the pupil will pass sooner so it's swings and roundabouts there.

If you are always spotted waiting outside schools you can get arrested :oops: [/list:u]

But seriously sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring will never help anyone - Get out there and do whatever you have to do,

Regards,

#13 10-11-05 08:21:18

luchell

i have thought about the aa and i would be interested BUT i hate the focus!!! so much so i just dont want to sit in one :cry:

So its a no go for me. I just couldnt! no we're not allowed anything on the cars to identify who we are which is a shame really.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 10-11-05 09:29:56

Django

bigred wrote:

Sparkle (bless her big_smile ) is always going to get work as she's a complete nutcase and loved by all her pupils.

Which is how to build a business. Joking aside you need to have a character. If your just a bland person sitting there spouting your stuff you won't get noticed or recommended. Sparks maybe a nutcase but she has a personality that students can relate to and so will always be busy.

Board footer