You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-03-05 01:50:28

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Car Wash

Hi

Ive found that the auto car washes leave brush marks on your car paint over time. Where as the power/jet wash does not.

Do you use the auto wash ?

Have you ever noticed this ?

24-03-05 01:50:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Car Wash

#2 24-03-05 06:46:56

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

when i had my lease car i used to take it to car wash occasionally, and i noticed scratch marks, so when i bought my Seat, i refuse to take it to car wash, so wash it at home with hose pipe, or power washer, or if not jet wash it.

Not having some crappy car wash scratching my pride and joy!!!

#3 24-03-05 08:03:45

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

One of our local washes scratched my car badly & I have never been back.

The local ASDA one is good - this is the type that pulls the car through its various roller brushes like a production line. Another good one is at a Sainsburies which is the type that has lots of cloths hanging down like curtains. These are swept from side to side as the car is dragged through.

The cheap unattended washes that sweep roller brushes over the stationary car are definitely worth avoiding.

In Canada last year we used a car wash that used power jets on an automated arm. It did a great job of getting rid of the road dust and never touched the car.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#4 24-03-05 13:28:53

simonmd

Most manufacturers reccomend that you dont use a brush wash until the car is at least one year old as it takes the paint that long to harden fully. Personaly I prefer a good old sponge and bucket of warm water!

#5 24-03-05 13:46:03

adi
Verified Member
Website

My paintwork has started to fade big time from using the car washes. Not so much the brushes but more the strong chemical agents used. I bought some 'simoniz' car shampoo which i now use and it's the best i have evr used.

#6 24-03-05 13:55:18

Rauxaman

Watch for the local hooligans tying nuts and bolts to the brushes... ouch :x

#7 24-03-05 13:55:39

Rauxaman

Watch for the local hooligans tying nuts and bolts to the brushes... ouch :x

#8 26-03-05 10:40:25

yeah_and_man

Hey,
It's possible for a pressure washer to lift paint or 2 pac laquer!
Much safer to use old fashion method.

#9 27-03-05 17:03:32

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Won't use Auto car washes (owned one for many years).

Prefer, indeed enjoy the old fashioned method but owing to back problems at present am using a local jet wash where the bloke washes the car with a sponge including jetting the arches and sills, chamois off and tyres dressed for £6.

Takes you to be careful though, there are washes around who use cheap, nasty chemicals. Used one once that stripped the wax off the car and turned the "L" on the roofbox pink!

If you find a good one stick with it, you can usually get them to do the mats and things if you are regular enough.  Mine runs an account for regulars once he gets to know you, paid monthly including a reciept for the taxman  smile

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#10 08-09-05 08:59:34

Anonymous

Autowash fiance used one once and found out later when we looked at the car that there were still dirty marks on the car, ever since then we've used a jet wash (at morrisons) which costs £3 for 12 minutes.
so jetwash gets my vote everytime  big_smile

Claire.

#11 08-09-05 09:30:22

bzcee

prefer the bucket and sponge, can see all the tiny marks,stone chips etc.

auto ones with brushes are bad, snap your aerial if you leave it on and the brushes are plastic aren't they.
sometimes use jet wash but you have to be careful, dont get too close as they are powerful.Years ago when i had a mondeo used to use jet washes a lot, was cleaning it one day and the power of the wash brought off one of my door mirror glass :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

stuck it back on with some silicon smile

ermmms.jpg
Your information is visible to YOU only

fighting0092.gifstupid little winker

#12 08-09-05 23:08:58

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

I always use a jet wash - as the dirt is rinsed straight off. With a sponge/brush the dirt is just moved about the paintwork scratching it in the process.

Also, for instructors, BUY a jet washer. Add up the cost of car-washes - £5 * 52 weeks = £260. My jet wash cost me about £40. Me = £220 better off last year, and £260 better off this year!

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#13 09-09-05 09:16:53

Midge
Website

I just go to the local hand wash.  I sit reading a book,  or doing a crossword,  while they jet wash, then sponge, leather , vacuum, and clean the inside windows.    Where else can you sit relaxing while watching men do the cleaning.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#14 28-10-05 21:29:59

pauline

hi there
well i havent gone through car wash yet, i wanted  to take mine through one
but i remember going through one with someone when i was younger think must of been my mum and i was glad when we got out i was scared of the thing................ :oops:
anyway i have now read these posts and dont want to scratch my car so maybe get the bucket and sponge out................... smile

#15 28-10-05 22:49:38

luchell

I use a one a minute attended car wash. Love it you can have extras cleaned and different products applied to your tyres etc for a small amount extra. When theyve finished jet washing the car you go through a really great wash!! Doesnt damage paintwork as the brushes are soooo soft.

They even bag your back wiper lol  No damage to aerials and it gets rid of ALL the brakedust. Drys it off and leaves the car sparkling clean. Oh how i need to put it through the car wash horrid dirty thick brake dust :cry:

#16 30-10-05 19:32:07

asimpsonlowe

I actually like washing my car.....find it very theraputic!! (on a nice day ofcoarse) i have never used a drive through car wash in my life, i have used amny different jet was's over time when i have needed to, but they nearly all strip any wax or sealant off your car. Most use very aggressive cleaning agents.

just my thoughts and oppinions, and no you cant all bring your cars to be cleaned!!  lol  lol  lol

1.gif

#17 30-10-05 19:38:41

Django

Tax man has just help my pay for my own jet washer, gourd bless 'im.  lol  lol  lol

Takes the hard work out of it.

Board footer