You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-03-04 18:47:42

lazygomez

Recommend?

Ok! I've read the posts and understand there are lots of pitfalls to avoid when choosing a company to train with. But what I'd really like to know is who is the best choice? I realise this depends on availability and personal situation etc etc etc etc but I'd be really interested to hear from anyone trained or training, which company (or other method) they personally would choose with hindsight and experience. (And whether they would choose to do it at all).

Cheers!
Andy.

04-03-04 18:47:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Recommend?

#2 04-03-04 19:40:18

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy,

Of course I would do it all again - probably differently, but I love the job and have agreat time most days with my pupils.

I used a big national school to do my training and found it not as good as they promised, but I can't complain too much cause I passed my part 3 on my second attempt.

I would still say have an assessment with a few different people and find a trainer that you -

A. Relate to.   
B. Will have for the duration of the course
C. Can afford.

The job at the end of it is not so important at this stage as you can either get a franchise with almost any company or work for yourself. The Green Badge is your only real goal at this point!

Keep looking.

Regards,

#3 04-03-04 20:29:53

lazygomez

Thanks Big Red, your points are taken.

BTW Your link doesn't work for me, don't know if this is my problem or yours.

Andy.

#4 04-03-04 22:19:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy,

No, it seems to work for me.

try it from here http://www.bigredl.co.uk/

If that doesn't work then I just can't help as I know nuffin about these computer thingy's

Regards,

#5 05-03-04 09:58:45

Natalie

Dont know if this will be much use to you as I am just starting out myself.  I am currently training with the Instructor college and so far so good.  I am just studying for my Part 1 and they have helped me with whatever I need.  If they keep it up I know I will be fine.

Nats

#6 05-03-04 10:38:20

lazygomez

Hi Nats

That's exactly what I'm interested to know!

I've just had a look at their web site and they have a college in my town (Derby).

I shall definitely include them on my shortlist. (only had LDC on til now!)

They seem a bit coy about mentioning the cost (a big issue for me) but I presume you found them to be competitive.

Cheers,
Andy.

#7 05-03-04 17:13:51

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
I trained  with the Instructor College about 5 years ago and passed all parts 1st time. At the end of the day it depends which individual you get to train you rather than the company as a whole. I had a really good trainer who pushed my ability to the limits and it all paid off. I think cost wise you will be looking at possibly 2k for a full course as it was just under that figure when i did it. I paid on a monthly basis. Best of luck.

#8 07-03-04 10:00:33

Alpech

Hello lazygomez,

I've just seen your message and I think i'm right in saying you live near Derby.  I trained with Passmasters and have been very pleased with the training package and obviously the end result.  I passed all three parts of the course first time.  You can find their adverts in the Sun or Mirror and  I know they have a training centre near East Mids Airport. You might want to add them to your shortlist.  Make sure you do loads of research as it will pay off in the end.  ORDIT  standards of training I think has to be the way to go.

Cheers

Alpech

#9 07-03-04 15:48:06

lazygomez

ALPECH - Thanks, Ive contacted Passmasters and will see what comes of it, however I have seen other less favourable posts about them on other forums but of course this is true of all the companies. So not top of the list but still in the running. Glad to hear they worked for you.

ADI - Thanks for this, I reckon The Instructor College are currently top of my list but there's a long way to go yet. Though I am concerned to see that The Instructor College are no longer registered with ORDIT.

I have to admit the more I find out about instructor schools the more tempted I am to go with an independent trainer, at least you know who will be teaching you.

All advice gratefully received!

Lazygomez

#10 07-03-04 17:11:23

Alpech

Hi Lazygomez,

Thanks for replying I would be really interested to see these forums with the less favourable reviews of Passmasters if you could let me have the web address!!

I agree that it's such a difficult choice because what has worked really well for some, others have had bad experiences.  It really is a minefield out there!!   

Cheers

Alpech

#11 07-03-04 17:54:18

lazygomez

Hi Alpech - I suspect you've already found it but here goes
http://www.worlddrivingschools.com/foru … wtopic=111

#12 13-03-04 20:22:15

Lima6

Another site you should consider having a look at is UK Driving Instructors Confederation which has a PDI Section: http://www.ukdic.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9

Amongst other things you will find a wide variety of experiences from Forum members who have trained in a variety of different establishments - the good, the bad and the ugly (that's the establishments not the members - but if the cap fits . . . lol )

One thing that does crop up again and again is don't pay out lump sums up front to training organisations.  It is perfectly possible to do Part 1 all by yourself and then find yourself an independent trainer for Part 2 & Part 3.

Board footer