You are not logged in.

#1 21-06-04 23:14:41

nappy501

Employed/self employed ?? Is this going to suit me.

Hi

I investigated becoming a driving instructor about 2 years ago, but put it to one side because of the finanical implications for myself.  My work has become so awful I am changing employment, but what I really want is a career change.

As a driving instructor can you be employed by a school?  That is they provide everything and just pay you a wage?

Can you work just part-time as a driving instructor?  I only need to work 16 hours a week.  I could probably work more as I presume I would be working closer to home, so could do lessons at the weekend.

At present I tend to work from straight through from september to May, but take long weekends.  As I only work two days a week, (Thursdays and Fridays) I tend to work say a Monday and Tuesday when I take time off.  However, from May to September I go away a quite a lot and I squeeze work in where I can, that might mean working at home to make up hours or doing 3 or 4 days in one week.

I understand that people now take a long time to get their licences, much longer than I did in 1981, I've heard about 40 lessons depending on age.  So would my present lifestyle suit?

Regards

Nappy
:?:

21-06-04 23:14:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Employed/self employed ?? Is this going to suit me.

#2 22-06-04 06:42:04

Bob_FOADS

HI Nappy501,
I would suggest that your lifestyle would't really suit. Working a few days a week is fine but the extended hoilday period probably wouldn't.

I'm sure some schools do have full employment positions but I would suggest that those schools are few and far between.

#3 23-06-04 07:56:34

Ozzie

Hi,

I've never heard of anyone being employed by a driving school as an instructor. What would the incentive be to go and give it your best shot if you get paid the same for doiing 3 hour tuition, or 30 hours tuition?

Some schools provide the car, some schools provide the pupils, some schools do neither, some schools do both. If you reckon that you can get by on 16 hours a week you haven't done your homework properly.

Even if you already own a car and you are using that for tuition purposes, it will need replacing sooner than you think. The taxman needs paying, and you may need an accountant, for each hour of teaching you will use approximately £2 of fuel.

So if you did 16 hours at £20 per hour, that would give you £320 a week to play with, £30 on fuel, £10 insurance, £2 road tax, £10 servicing costs, and already that £320 is down to £268. If you pay for a franchise that could be from £50-£120 a week, lets split the difference and call it £70, and you are under £200, the taxman wants roughly 20%, so now you are down to £160. Half of your turnover has gone already. Then pay for additional phone bills, both home and mobile, and you are below £150 a week.

In summary for doing short working weeks, you incur all of the expenses, but none of the profits. If you work 16 hours, 10 hours of it goes in bills. If you worked 40 hours, only about 14 hours goes in bills. At the end of the day it depends how much money you want, or need to earn.

Ozzie

#4 23-06-04 08:42:58

Bob_FOADS

Just as a point Ozzie,
When I did motorcycle training it actualy cost me money but I did it for the fun as I didn't need the money. Everyone has their own reasons for working but your breakdown of the costs is useful.

Board footer