You are not logged in.

#1 17-06-04 18:52:34

Ian2

Who to train with?

I am considering a career change and have been gleaning info from some of the high profile training organisations such as LDC (still waiting for their pack in the post), Roadcraft and Learner Driver Training Centres. Could anyone who has had experience of any of these please make any comments?
Are the earnings claims realistic? How long may it take to get a full diary?
I am 55 - am I starting too late??
I am based in North Norfolk
Have just been reading posts on this site for the first time. Its all extremely useful information.
Keep it up!!

17-06-04 18:52:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Who to train with?

#2 17-06-04 23:49:44

Matt

Hi!! Before I start, I am not an ADI, but like yourself I'm seriously considering it!! I think the general advice is to get as much info as possible, arrange meetings and ask them what you want to know, remember they are trying to sell a course to you, go with the one that makes you feel most happy.

As for earnings, I assume you are talking about the ones stated in adverts (usually 25-30k), from what I can gather these earnings are realistic BUT.....these are before costs and tax (franchise fees, petrol, insurance, car rental, car purchase, advertising costs etc..) also take into the account you don't get a paid holiday. I'm not sure what it works out at but I think it's been said that most people seem to earn somewhere around the 10-15 mark depending on hours. Teaching people to drive wont make you rich!!

As for diary, i suppose it depends how you go about it, if you go the franchise route then you will be assigned some customers, then hopefully a word of mouth develops (depending how good you are!  tongue ) If you go it alone then it will take longer to get a diary i'd imagine but there are other benefits, but thats a whole new topic!

Agewise I'm at the other end of the scale, I'm only 21!! I don't see 55 being a problem, my instructor was over 55!! Plenty years left in ya!!  tongue

Dunno if this has been of any help at all, but I'm sure people with more knowledge than me will come and inform us!  smile

Matt

#3 18-06-04 06:00:45

Ian2

Thanks Matt. Sound advice and from one so young!
Anyone out there who trained at my ripe old age?!!!?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 18-06-04 06:12:29

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ian,
I am an LDC instructor, just coming up to my first year! next week !

I was very happy with what LDC had to offer, and i did contact 7 companies in all, and they looked to me to have the best package!

LDC will help you get things going with offers that you can offer pupils to get bums on seats, and they do work! 

My first week i had 8 lessons then the 2nd i had 25, and it remained pretty constant throughout the year!
I haven't looked back since and enjoy the work!!

Robbie

#5 18-06-04 07:34:15

Liesa

Hi Ian2

Welcome to the site, feel free to ask as much or as little as you want to!

Your age won't be a problem at all, you'd be suprised how many people, train to become an instructor well into their 50's wink  Many have had succesful careers in other areas, such as the police force and within the teaching profession.

Matt is correct, unless you're prepared to work rediculous hours, you can expect to earn between 10 & 15k per annum after exspenses.

As far as job satisfactions concerned, it don't get any better than what I get, out of watching a pupil go from being extremely nervous, almost afraid of the car, to achieving their ultimate goal of passing their driving test, especially when they pass 1st time wink

Anyway good luck and please keep dropping in, to either to ask more questions or join in with other threads we have going. And we definately would like you to keep us informed of how you're getting on smile

#6 18-06-04 11:53:14

Josie

(Matt is correct, unless you're prepared to work rediculous hours, you can expect to earn between 10 & 15k per annum after exspenses.)

How many hours a week are you basing this on?

#7 18-06-04 12:35:29

Liesa

Hi Josie

I teach for around 30 - 35 hours a week, which with travelling time added on can quite easily mean that you're working in excess of 45 hours per week :shock:

#8 18-06-04 13:18:56

Josie

HI Liesa (sorry off the subject slightly)

So earning  10-15k a year  at ₤18 per hour on a 30hour week working 46 weeks per year (approx), however I appreciate that lessons are not consistent.  This equates to approx ₤24,000.  Are you saying ₤10,000 can go on expenses? Or is this basing that some weeks you get no business

josie  :?

Hi Ian

I have had an Interview with LDC, Still weighing up the Pro's and con's, but they seem one on the best schools for training and franchise.  I am just in the process of comparing to an independent trainer.

#9 18-06-04 18:44:28

Liesa

Hi Josie

You can quite easily have exspenses in the region that you have mentioned above. Last year mine were around 7.5k and that's the lowest they've ever been!

£18 per hour would be brilliant but around here, there are schools charging as little as £13.99 per hour.

I charge £17 per hour and they still ask for discounts :cry:

The exspenses include all your motoring exspenses including interest on the car loan & depreciation. The depreciation is usually somewhere around, £1500-£2000 depending on how old the vehicle is and it's current value. You're allowed to claim 25% depreciation on your car for upto 4 years.

Board footer