You are not logged in.

#1 22-09-05 14:01:37

woodlandk.fsbusiness.co.u
Verified Member

1st Check Test over.........

Hello All

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding my first check test that I did this morning.

Well SEADI put it down as an 'E'ducational. Feeling a bit deflated.

Chose emergency stop as subject to teach and told him that pupil had a few problems with turning left and right, as well as emerging using the MSPSL routine.

Recap at start of test told pupil that we would be learning e - stop/avoiding skids etc. and en route we would be reinforcing our junction routine.

The pupil was as nervous as me and her junction routine was worse than normal - not scanning on approach/looking down at gear lever/handbrake etc.

I stopped her on a couple of occasions to discuss/rectify some faults, but in hindsight didn't stop her enough/remedy enough - my own fault!!!

She also started to display something she hadn't displayed before, which was shaving/coming too close to parked vehicles on the left, particularly when there were oncoming vehicles - again I didn't do anything about this apart from tell her to move over to the right and q and a her on the move about clearances and speed etc. which she answered perfectly adequately. Any advice from anyone regarding dealing with any pupil with this tendency would be appreciated. (Thanks).

I was marked as follows:-

Column A

Controls 2 Subject covered unsatisfactorily
Emergency Stop 2 Subject covered unsatisfactorily
Junctions 2 Subject covered unsatisfactorily
Adequate Clearance 2 Subject covered unsatisfactorily.

Column B

Core Competencies; Fault identification 5
                               Fault anaylysis     3
                               Remedial action   3

Instructional techniques; Recap at start   4
                                    Aims/objectives 5
                                    Level of instruction  3
                                    Planning of lesson    3
                                    Control of lesson     3
                                    Communication       5
                                    Q & A technique      5
                                    Feedback/Encouragement 3
                                    Instructors use of controls 5
                                    Recap at end      4

Instructor characteristics; Attitude & approach to pupil 6.

SEADI said that the briefing on the e stop was very long winded and wondered when it was going to finish, to which I replied that I agree, and that it was just nervousness and not wanting to miss anything out.

He also said that I only gave the pupil two goes at carrying out this exercise which I did for two reasons: 1. She carried out the exercise well on the second attempt and 2. we were running out of time and I needed to get the SEADI back to the TC on time.

He also added that I have the potential for a grade 5 (pep talk!!!!), that my q & a technique was good and he will see me in about 6 months.  Oh Joy!!!!!!

Ah well very informative debrief from him at the end - I feel that he gave me some very good pointers re sorting out problems on junctions, and at least I know what to expect in 6 months.

Thanks for listening.

22-09-05 14:01:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st Check Test over.........

#2 22-09-05 14:32:32

woodlandk.fsbusiness.co.u
Verified Member

Just to add to my previous post SEADI said because pupil was so poor on junctions and clearance to obstructions that he would have have changed the objective of the lesson.

Do you know, I actually had this already in my lesson notes - "If necessary - change the objective".

What a plonker!! :oops:

Nerves I suppose.

Kev

#3 22-09-05 21:42:15

luchell

Sounds like a good effort though lol  and you now know exactly what to expect next time

With my pupils who shave parked cars I go through the obvious one of how far should they be? why? and what to do once meeting traffic lose speed etc. I use a few methods of helping them. Quiet road pull up next to a parked car and open your door once vehicle is secured obviously.

It's surprised some of my pupils and sorted them out instanly for even when oncoming vehicles are coming as they know how much room they should leave so are ever more conscious about coming in to close when meeting traffic.

Check they are looking into the gap that is available for them and not at the parked cars of oncoming traffic, perhaps thats doing it? Putting them in the position they need to be as they go past either parked cars or are in a meeting situation, they will get a better feel for what is required, perhaps they are nervous about feeling so close to oncoming traffic or they just forget the car has wing mirrors :shock:

Depends which one they seem to improve from really. Im sure lots of others have ways of doing it which i'd be interested to hear.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 24-09-05 08:22:45

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

Don't be too hard on yourself! You seem to know what mistakes you made. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Try talking a bit more during the drive. Sounds like your pupil was worrying about the SE being in the back. Considering he was in the back seat, was the e-stop a wise choice?
You could have chosen, for instance, dealing with roundabouts, and dedicated the whole time to just one teaching subject. Maybe you tried to cover too much and the pupil got 'information overload'. I'm sure you will breeze through on the next one. Chin up!!! big_smile

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

Board footer