You are not logged in.

#1 15-06-04 17:59:44

sallyb

Roundabout - first available exit

Approaching a roundabout with 4 exits, the first is shown on the sign but is "unavailable" i.e. is a no through road or no entry. You are asked to take the first "available" exit on the left. Do you signal left on the approach to the roundabout or only once you have passed the first exit?

15-06-04 17:59:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Roundabout - first available exit

#2 15-06-04 19:50:20

Liesa

Hi  sallyb

Signal after passing the  1st exit wink

What has your instructor told you to do?

#3 15-06-04 21:55:25

Bob_FOADS

My answer would differ from Liesa's.
If the first is 'no entry' then I'd probably signal left on approch unless other road users couldn't know it's no entry.

If the first is a no through road then I'd  take it anyway as it is the first available exit even if it isn't very logical. They may want you to do a turn in the road down there or something. 
NB. on my motorcycle test I did go down a no through road (back in the days when the examiner stood on the side of the road) and still passed the test.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 15-06-04 22:09:28

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Be careful signalling left if the first exit is a no entry. If a vehicle is waiting to emerge from that exit they may for a moment think you are turning in (even though you are not allowed)......and pull out in front of you.

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#5 16-06-04 06:49:18

Bob_FOADS

You do have a fair point DrivingAmbition.
My only refferance, as I've never seen a roundabout like that, is our test center. When you turn into the aldershot driving test center you pass a no entry just before the entrance. Pupils signaling before the no entry road aren't penalised. If you approch from another direction, where there is another juction just before the entrance (also a no entry but the sign  is missing), pupils can be penalised for indicaing early.

In conclusion like most things it depends on the exact layout and traffic conditions at the time.

#6 16-06-04 07:03:23

DAVE-ADI

There is a difference between a no through road and a no entry,  so you need to be clear in which it is.
If the first exit is a no through road you should leave the left signal until you are passing it, otherwise you may confuse others into thinking that you are turning into it.

If it is a no entry it isn't too important if you signal left before reaching it, because it is 'unavailable.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 16-06-04 07:36:37

sallyb

Firstly thanks to all that responded. I have emailed my ex-instructor who has local knowldege but am interested in everyone opinions.  The Highway Code states

"When taking the first exit
signal left and approach in the left-hand lane keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking any intermediate exit
select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want."

The phrase "available" is used and the road is only shown as a short "closed" exit on the roundabout sign, no red line crossing it at the end.  I can't remember why it is unavailable but it is on the test route which is not local to me.

I guess this is the sort of thing one can fail on  roll I would follow the Higway Code and signal after I have passed the exit before the one you want

#8 16-06-04 17:31:15

Bob_FOADS

hi sallyb,
sounds to me like it may be one of those 'questionable' situations. In general if you do something sencible then it's unlikely it would cause you to fail a test.

The main point about indication is that it firstly should not confuse other road users and secondly should help other road users with respect to knowing your intentions.

#9 16-06-04 21:24:52

bigred
Verified Member
Website

It can all get a bit confusing when we say one thing and the examiners say another. Many roundabouts that have Motorway or Dual Carriage way exit slip roads coming down to them are marked with no entry signs.

Fine, but some examiners will say 'take the 2nd exit' actually meaning 'take the 1st available exit' whilst others will say 'take the road ahead' and not mention exit numbers. Often they try to help, but in doing so will confuse what has been taught.

We also have sign posts on approach that may say there are only 3 exits, when in fact the sign does not mention the little no through road that's not on the primary route.

A definitive answer from the DSA would help in this situation.

Regards,

Board footer