You are not logged in.

#1 19-09-05 08:05:32

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Fleet Driver Trainers

I have just noticed that ADI's can do an additional qualification to become Fleet Driver Trainers.

Does anyone know if this pays well? Is it worth the additional training & expense..

Any thoughts or inside info.........

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

19-09-05 08:05:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet Driver Trainers

#2 19-09-05 08:34:20

Tay

Hi

I'm thinking about enrolling on a course . I've heard that the course done by DSE is good. Has anyone else been on the DSE course?

#3 19-09-05 13:54:28

GreenLight
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tay

An interesting question and one, from whichI am sure you will receive a variety of responses!

I speak as one of the first to be admitted onto the DSA Fleet Register. I have certificate number 007!

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is - where is the work going to come from?

It's not like learners, where you put an ad in the local paper and sit back and wait for the 'phone to ring. With fleet training you have to approach local, national and international companies and persuade them that they need driver training for their workforce and that you can provide it.

The average ADI hasn't got the time to do that so I am sure that most of my colleagues on the Fleet Register work for established training providers. As I do - I am sub contracted to four.

For me the work has great job satisfaction. After twelve years in the profession, reversing round the same corner seven times a day begins to loose its appeal! But a day in the client's SLK (his petrol) and, with any luck, lunch on his expense account is a different matter. Not to mention CPD of course!

You asked about the money. Note that I didn't answer that question first. What do you say to learners who open the conversation with - how much do you charge?

It will obviously vary from area to area. Down here the going rate is about £100 per day. Usually plus travel expenses.

You will do your own sums but I will end with a quote from John Dowell, a fleet trainer since the mid-eighties:

"My advice is to think long and hard before putting money into something where there is not the same financial return as teaching learners"

MSA Newslink August 2005

Larry

#4 19-09-05 14:06:18

GreenLight
Verified Member
Website

Sorry Tay, I've just noted I have answered Trentender's questions and addressed them to you!

Too much fleet training this morning. PowerPoint presentation to a group of minibus drivers!

Larry

#5 19-09-05 16:58:34

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the advice Larry, it was helpful.

I'm surprised that you don't get paid more to be honest. To make the extra qualification (time & expense) worthwhile I was hoping for £150+ a day.

I might just try it  for the sheer hell of it to be honest. The starter packs around £6 so its worth looking at.

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 19-09-05 17:53:18

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Trentender,

I agree that there's not a great deal of financial benifit at the moment from Fleet training, but I'm hoping/beleiving it will improve over the next few years.

The DSE course is excellent. I did it myself late last year. Dugie and Adrian are very, very good at their job! The price is also pretty reasonable and if you can get a few guys together in an area they will come to you. This saves a pile on time away from home and accomadation fees.

Regards,

#7 20-09-05 13:08:47

rachdrive
Website

Hi Trentender,

I trained with DSE over a year ago and found them excellent!!!

As Bigred said, Adrian and Dugie are both very good and the fact that they will come to you saves you money!!

As for what Greenlight said, YOU have to way up the pros and cons and alot depends on were you want to go now and in the future.

The future is Companies having to provide training to their employees.

Also there are other things that can be done with it also. I have just applied for the NDIS and hope to get work from there also.

In the future I also would like to approach companies to offer the training to them myself.

I have worked for DSE and their daily rate is v good!!

The main thing is that YOU NEED TO DECIDE WERE YOU ARE GOING and think about the benefits of becoming  fleet registered!!!!!!

Give Dugie a call on the number at the top of the forum for more advise!!

Cheers
Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#8 20-09-05 16:07:50

PM1

As an ex employee of a large national company with over 1,000 company car drivers , there is almost no way that they would agree to anything that removed their sales force off the road for a day, if they could avoid it

Do the maths.

A working year = aprox 240 days.

1000 days = about 4 years pay @ an average of 25K that's £100,000. just in salary downtime. now factor in the profit generator of those 1000 days and your up to about £125,000. and you still haven't paid for anyone to train people who don't want to be trained. So by the time you've earned your 25K per year were at the £250,000 level.

A quarter of million on teaching people who can drive to drive , or pay for the national conference .

Not saying they are right , just saying it that's all .

The major issues could be addressed by mangement but for a whole host of reasons aren't.

#9 20-09-05 17:28:43

bigred
Verified Member
Website

But year on year companies with that size fleet are realising that by training drivers and thereby avoiding accidents they lose less working days.

It's a cost positive exercise that will save more than just money. They are also coming under increasing legislation to do this training and soon it won't be just the big companies needing to get it done.

2 years and I reckon the fleet industry will will increase exponentially (good word eh?)

Regards,

#10 20-09-05 19:18:29

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Red
I agree with you but not only about the cost benefit.
there is no difference between a car used on company business and a machine in a workshop.

The HSE and Employee protection legislation now requires CPD training for all employees using machinery.

The days of not even asking to actually see a driving licence before handing over the keys to a company have long gone.

Someone has a crash while driving a work colleague to another site, HSE want to know about it, what level of risk assessment has been carried out in respect of this employees driving?

If someone is killed, then there could be a case for corporate manslaughter.

#11 20-09-05 21:22:02

ExAdiNigel

pm1

As has been said, less accidents can mean fewer days sick by employees involved in accidents.  Less accidents means cheaper insurance - considerably cheaper insurance.  Giving company car drivers health & safety training, also means that the company is less likely to be involved in a coporate manslaughter case and that could save the company a huge amount.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#12 20-09-05 21:23:40

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Pegasus,

Whilst I agree the remit for accidents at work now cover driving, the HSE pass the buck to the police in a very large majority of cases saying it comes under the road traffic act. It's still very rare for the HSE to take action.

The police however, have been collecting data at the scene of each accident, which includes asking what was the purpose of the journey. They are beginning to refer cases back to the HSE.

Sooner or later the HSE are going to realise there is an awful lot of progress still to be made in driver training, I'm convinced they will have to respond massively at some point soon.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 20-09-05 21:25:47

ExAdiNigel

rachdrive wrote:

Also there are other things that can be done with it also. I have just applied for the NDIS and hope to get work from there also.

You can become involved in NDIS work without the fleet registration, that could be worth you trying to get involved in before you decide on whether to become fleet registered or not.

I'm not so keen on the NDIS work because it can take 2 half days out of your week, which ?????? 2 days up if the venue is far from your normal working area.

There are many fleet companies out there and all can offer work once you are registered.  Going rate is not much over the £100 per day mark though.  Much better if you can approach companies direct.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#14 31-01-06 14:57:00

Badger

""As an ex employee of a large national company with over 1,000 company car drivers , there is almost no way that they would agree to anything that removed their sales force off the road for a day, if they could avoid it""

Part of the whole ethos of fleet training from a directors point of view as advised by his finacial team will be the cost savings in  terms of insurance, vehicle repairs and down time of employees lost or off work because of traffic crashes.

Often the improvement in performance due to pre planning and sensible tasking has a positive financial benefit to the company

Finally - the companys image and management respect for HSE and HR requirements will have spin off benefits in terms of employee relations

Badger

Board footer