You are not logged in.

#1 13-07-05 10:57:27

Mmm

Installing dual controls

Just wondered if anyone could advise how hard it is to fit dual controls yourself? And if this affects vehicle warranty?
Its for a Hyundai Getz and I believe they will be cable-operated duals. I am pretty confident with my mechanical ability (tackle up to 4 spanner rated jobs in the haynes manual if you know what i mean!) but was just wondering if there was anything particularly difficult about fitting them or any special tools required, do they come with installation instructions, i cant imagine it would be THAT hard.
cheers for any info.
PS hyundai UK were pretty vague about the effects on warranty of having them fitted not at a hyundai dealership.

13-07-05 10:57:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Installing dual controls

#2 13-07-05 22:23:52

Dundeeguy
Verified Member

Hi Mmm,

I've only ever fitted dual controls twice. That was about 7 year ago to Nissans. They did come with full instructions. As long as you FULLY read them and understand which part is which then go for it. These were rod operated, not cable though.

I recently purchased the universal dual controls that rcm marketing sell from someone on Ebay. Brand new without the cables for a nice delivered price of £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have now got the cables and instructions. They look very easy to install. But when I looked under the dash of my Laguna I have little room for the pulleys on the floor at the drivers side. Have looked at other cars, clio, c-max, focus, corsa. They look very easy to fit to. But I'm guessing yours will be specific for your model so would assume they will be quite straight forward to fit.

As for affecting the warranty, it shouldn't. Never seen any car being refused up till now!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 14-07-05 21:30:15

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

it only cost me £50 to get mine fitted, so i don't think its worth taking the risk.

#4 15-07-05 09:10:07

Mmm

blimey how did you get it that cheap, hyundai dealership reckons 4 hours labour?!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-07-05 17:00:43

Dundeeguy
Verified Member

Mmm wrote:

blimey how did you get it that cheap, hyundai dealership reckons 4 hours labour?!

I'm still wondering how I got them so cheap myself! A used set went the previous week for about the £100. No one seemed interested in these. Maybe because there were no cables or instructions. I don't care as I got a huge bargain smile

4hrs labour maybe a little over the top but I'm guessing they aint fitted them before plus the fact they won't have a book time for doing the job, so they just guessed a time.

Approved Instructors price of £50 sounds superb. Considering main dealers are more than that for their hourly rate

#6 27-07-05 21:42:42

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

A local garage near Preston, Lancashire. ive got the number if you want it.

4 hours ha, more like 2.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 19-09-05 11:34:10

Bounty Hunter
Verified Member
Website

Mmm wrote:

Just wondered if anyone could advise how hard it is to fit dual controls yourself? And if this affects vehicle warranty?
Its for a Hyundai Getz and I believe they will be cable-operated duals. I am pretty confident with my mechanical ability (tackle up to 4 spanner rated jobs in the haynes manual if you know what i mean!) but was just wondering if there was anything particularly difficult about fitting them or any special tools required, do they come with installation instructions, i cant imagine it would be THAT hard.
cheers for any info.
PS hyundai UK were pretty vague about the effects on warranty of having them fitted not at a hyundai dealership.

If you do it yourself you will be a qualified contortionist by the time you have finished, not as easy as it looks unless you remove seats and bottom part of dashboard, also make sure no pipes in way when drilling holes.

Tony

Chinese proverb "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

#8 19-09-05 12:38:53

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

This is a job I won't tackle myself, after watching a driving school ex-boss of mine mess it up. I had the privilege of watching the "great man" install cable duals in the new Mitsubishi Lancer he'd provided for me. By the time the controls were in, the area around the dual pedals looked like a colander (all those holes he drilled, drilled & redrilled trying to get one where it would be useful). He also cut a slot in a chassis beam to route the cables - not a wise move!!! but I wanted my job desperately so I shut up & pretended I didn't see it. I'm sure that I (or Mmm) could have done a much better job but nevertheless I prefer a garage to do it. Much better to blame your mechanic than yourself for a hole drilled in a sensitive pipe or wiring loom!
At the moment my new Focus is having a set of hydraulically-activated clutch/brake & cable-activated accelerator duals fitted. I don't expect the car back before the week is out and the bill is sure to be in excess of $A500.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer