You are not logged in.

#1 04-08-05 15:58:13

Mmm

Fuel consumption

Hi
Just started working and am finding the fuel consumption a bit on the high side. Am getting 33mpg from my Hyundai Getz 1.3, the book figure for urban cycle is 40mpg, is this loss normal for driving tuition or should i suspect something wrong with the car? I am using a top box.
Its a shame my old-shape Nissan Micra is only a 1.0 but feels more powerful and returns better economy (although admittedly i havent used it for teaching in).

04-08-05 15:58:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fuel consumption

#2 07-08-05 08:36:02

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Manufacturers quoted figures are in laboratory conditions so don't always get achieved in real world driving. 7MPG difference don't seem excessive considering the type of stop sart driving that is done on lessons combined with the roofbox which increases consumption.

Also how old is the car. It won't achieve proper consumption until the engine is properly run in i usually find fuel economy gets better after about 5000 miles.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 08-08-05 05:36:40

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

You also have to take into consideration all the reverse manouvres you do, and like i've had to do on hot days while briefing is leaving engine running to keep air con going, as it gets like a greenhouse when sat on side of road even with window open!

#4 09-08-05 20:18:04

Mmm

Thanks for that, mpg much better at last fill up, strangely.
It had done 8000 miles in 2 years before i got it last month, so maybe the more frequent use is now doing it some good....

#5 02-09-05 11:41:09

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

MPG figures can be misleading, fuel used per hour might be more useful and will often return a quite different figure than mpg. very hard to keep track of though.
I had a 4 month break, when I returned most of my students were beginners and spent a lot of time in the nursery area clocking up very little on the odometer (equates to very low mpg). Same when they did parking & other basic manoevres. At moment most are doing high speed stuff. Lots of cruising at 100 km/h (over 60 mph) where motor is relatively frugal and the rapidly-clicking-over distance on odometer gives a much better economy figure.
Don't be too concerned over your economy, it might simply be a by-product of the type of driving our cars do.
I always reset the odometer to 0 every time I refuel & note mileage, always fill tank too. Keep records on computer and keep myself up to date with general economy. A low figure usually meams lots of nursery driving, or I take it to the mechanic for an inspection & tune.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 19-09-05 11:18:52

Bounty Hunter
Verified Member
Website

Mmm wrote:

Hi
Just started working and am finding the fuel consumption a bit on the high side. Am getting 33mpg from my Hyundai Getz 1.3, the book figure for urban cycle is 40mpg, is this loss normal for driving tuition or should i suspect something wrong with the car? I am using a top box.
Its a shame my old-shape Nissan Micra is only a 1.0 but feels more powerful and returns better economy (although admittedly i havent used it for teaching in).

My wifes runabout is a 17 year old 1 litre micra, 78k on the clock, does 48 mpg on a good run and feels more lively than my 1.1 picanto tuition car. Had two on the trot for teaching in when i first started this job 17 years ago and no car has come close as an ideal tuition car yet.

Tony

Chinese proverb "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Board footer