You are not logged in.

#1 06-09-05 15:33:10

New Girl
Verified Member

What happens if we're poorly??

I've seen lots of posts on here about cancellation fees etc if the pupil pulls out, but what do you all do if you are ill and have to cancel? :?

Also do any of you bother with insurance to cover self employed people for sickness?

06-09-05 15:33:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What happens if we're poorly??

#2 06-09-05 15:36:58

Rookie
Website

Ok if they are ill you maybe do not charge them depends, you realie on the Pupil being honest about the cancel.

Yes very good schemes around for sick cover e.t.c. Worth taking accident cover i think.  8)

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#3 06-09-05 15:49:10

sparkle

If THEY cancel at short notice YOU lose money.

If YOU cancel at short notice THEY dont lose money.

I would offer a free lesson to someone if i couldnt make it other than illness, for example a broken nail-emergency trip to the nail salon..or seeing a new handbag in my mag and HAVING to dash to shop to purchase..other than that..tough titty.

In 2.5 years ive to date had 3 days illness ( boy i was rough ) i had to cancel 3 days of work..ALL pupils good as gold..even texting me asking if i was ok etc etc... bless.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 06-09-05 16:17:25

adi
Verified Member
Website

Well if someone on here can find a genuine policy to cover you for anything other than death and would actually pay out i would be interested! Many policies are a waste of time, when it comes to a payout they will try and claw their way out of coughing up, had a few self employed friends experience that. Quite often you would have to be off work for a good 3 months so you can forget any sort of cover for things like flu or Delhi belly!

#5 06-09-05 16:26:41

Django

Your better off putting a little aside each week to pay the bills should you need some time off sick just like we have to when we want a holiday.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 06-09-05 16:47:45

g'day
Verified Member
Website

adi wrote:

Well if someone on here can find a genuine policy to cover you for anything other than death and would actually pay out i would be interested! Many policies are a waste of time, when it comes to a payout they will try and claw their way out of coughing up, had a few self employed friends experience that. Quite often you would have to be off work for a good 3 months so you can forget any sort of cover for things like flu or Delhi belly!

I guess most people would survive the day or 2's loss of earning from Delhi Belly or Flu, but what about a longer term period of sickness :?:

My own experience (10 years ago now) went off sick with a slipped disk, 18 months and 2 operations later and after being pensioned off sick from my occupation at the time, was finally able to return to employment. Fortunately I was an employee of the NHS at the time so was paid Full Pay for sick months and Half pay until my occupational pension came through.

However, in addition I had mortgage protection - after one months sick this paid out a monthly sum to cover the mortgage for the next 12 months ( In fact as I had only bought the house 18 months earlier I actually ended up getting more back than I had paid in at that time and also was in recent of Disability benefit from the Government.

So Mortgage protection may be worth considering if this is relevant to you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-09-05 19:34:18

paul1

adi wrote:

Well if someone on here can find a genuine policy to cover you for anything other than death and would actually pay out i would be interested! Many policies are a waste of time, when it comes to a payout they will try and claw their way out of coughing up

Yes I agree adi completely. With most of these insurance policies if you're dead they might just pay out but they'll want conclusive evidence to prove it (you may have to make arrangements for a relative to pop round to their local office on the way to the cemetery).  lol

#8 06-09-05 20:33:44

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

adi wrote:

I have a policy with AXA which I have had for many years, it does not pay out for the first 12 weeks (I have salted away a couple of grand for a rainy day) but then pays out 75% of your normal (proven) earnings, index linked, until you are better, for life if needed.

Broke a disc in my back in 1996 off for 10 months, unable to return to my business, and had two operations, they paid out just over £8000 and kept the family fed and warm.

You dont get a fortune but it saved the day.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#9 06-09-05 21:10:07

Ozzie

Hi Bull on Edge,

How much are the premiums?

I looked in to it some time ago and I was told that the premiums were too high to make it worthwhile, something like £400 a month, to return a £2000 a month payout.

Oz

#10 07-09-05 05:34:49

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Oz.

Possibly because I took it out about 15 years ago the premiums are not as high, it does go up every year.  This year my DD went up to just over £40 a month.

I remember at the time I had the choice of no qualifying period, four weeks and 12 weeks, I chose the latter as it was the only one I could afford, the costs of the others being prohibitive.

As I said previously I also put a few quid into a savings account that should now just about cover the basics for the first few months.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#11 10-09-05 16:19:16

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

As a freelance computer consultant, for years I had a policy called permanent health insurance.

It worked out about £35/month and paid out if I could not work after 3 months due to illness or accident. It would pay out until I either returned to work or until I reached pension age. I had savings that covered me for the initial 3 months.

I cancelled the policy last year when I became and ADI as I have investments to cover me and the kids are older and less of a drain on my resources.

It is good cover for peace of mind for those with a young family.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

Board footer