You are not logged in.

#1 03-03-04 11:41:25

Roberts

different crossings and their uses

Hi there,
I have been cramming the AA theory book since christmas and am due to go for the test this month, but somehow I always manage to get confused on the mock theory tests regarding the crossings and their uses etc.
either I am incredibly thick  :oops: or the book could be a little more user-friendly from the motorists point of view!
Conclusion:
Puffin, toucan and pelican are all user controlled, but have different light sequences, and this is where I make my fatal mistakes in the tests! I can never seem to find a key or guide to them. Toucan is the only one I have got firmly in mind as a two-can cross (for cyclists and pedestrians) ! Any hints or tips from the professional point of view to help me out on this one?
cheers in advance!  lol

03-03-04 11:41:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: different crossings and their uses

#2 03-03-04 16:40:09

Liesa

Roberts

If you've remembered the light sequence for standard traffic lights, it should be fairly easy to remember it for the crossings.

The only one that doesn't follow the normal sequence i.e. red, red & amber, green, solid amber, red. Is the pelican crossing, this crossing has a flashing amber phase straight after the red light, which means go if clear. So you get Red, flashing amber, green, solid amber, red. You always get a solid amber light before they change to red, no matter which type of lights you're dealing with.

There is another type of crossing which you didn't mention and that's a pegasus crossing, don't panick again it's sequence is the same as standard traffic lights.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if there's anything else you're not sure about.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 03-03-04 16:47:40

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Liesa mentioned Pegasus crossings, which are for horse riders. They seem pretty common in places like Newmarket.

Rumour has it that there is one button much higher up for the horse riders and one fairly low to the ground for the jockeys who are walking.

But it is a rumour! :?

Regards,

#4 03-03-04 16:53:32

jonks

So is the just a high one for mounted riders, or just a low one for walking riders?

#5 03-03-04 16:56:29

Liesa

There are actually 2 button boxes on these crossings, and they do seem to keep cropping up all over Leicester.

#6 03-03-04 16:56:33

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonks,

Take trip to Newmarket and see for yourself!

Regards,

#7 03-03-04 17:01:49

jonks

Not likely!

My Ex wife lives there! Her dad is a trainer.

#8 03-03-04 20:42:43

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

We have a Pegasus Crossing in Towcester.  It is true that the button is mounted higher so that the horse rider can press it without jumping off the horse !

Northants_Road_crossing4.jpg

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#9 04-03-04 01:06:06

CarADI

So which button does the horse use on the Pegasus crossing  :?:   roll

#10 04-03-04 01:10:21

jonks

I know some pedestrians that would have to jump to press that button!

#11 04-03-04 08:02:03

Roberts

lots of thanks for that info guys. makes things simpler.
I took my 2hr assesment yesterday with BSM, as I have driven before about three years ago for  almost seven years. I expected to be rusty but not too majorly bad.  We did some driving, and all the basic manouveres. I got the parallel parking o.k, three point turn a doddle, and the rest of assesment was spent doing lots of lefts and rights. I didn't cut any corners, mount curbs, clip mirrors, get too close either side,  cut anyone up, stall the car or any no-no's, in fact we drove several times round some difficult spots as there were blind exits, roadworks, etc and by the time we finished I was fully confident again, but got pulled on some bad habits that came back fast! one hand driving etc, and relying on mirrors for manouvers, rather than looking over my shoulder. He seemed really relaxed and didn't need the dual controls at all, or reminding me of drifting.
. But at the same time the instructor was telling me that  my driving was telling him I was an experienced driver, and the way I handled the car was also, regarding clutch and gear usage he reckons I need probably another twenty hours instruction to bring me up to scratch for the test
Does this sound excessive? or am I being overconfident at this stage?

#12 05-03-04 22:41:14

Lynne
Verified Member

Good job for Pegusus crossings.  If I needed to jump off my horse I'd need a mounting block on each side of the road to climb back on again my horse is so big and I am so short!!    :oops:

Lynne

Board footer