You are not logged in.

#1 28-02-04 07:02:56

Liesa

Fleet Training

Does anyone offer Fleet training or the fleet trainer diploma course?

28-02-04 07:02:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet Training

#2 29-02-04 20:59:59

CarADI

Tel DIA or RoSPA,as they run courses.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-02-04 21:35:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hiya,

We would love to train you ourselves but were still several months off getting our course accredited.

Meanwhile you might want to try any of the following -

IAM 0870 121 8339   5 day course   £881
ROSPA 0121 248 2124    5 day course    £875
UK Road Safety  01454 877647   5 day course    £753
Driving Services   0151 347 4500    £699
DIA   0208 665 5151   4 day course   £650
Pro Drive   01785 227722   5 day course    £528

This doesn't include accomadation so the week can be a bit expensive.
But the rewards of around £24 to £28 per hour should make it worth it.

Regards,

#4 29-02-04 23:33:36

Badger

If you work the contracted 9 - 5 for Fleet Training your rate is nearer £12 per hour plus travelling expenses for an individual trainer.  You also save on car usage in comparison with teaching learners

Badger

#5 01-03-04 07:52:26

Liesa

Thanks for the information bigred, at the minute I'm just looking around at different courses. I probably won't be starting one untill late summer/autumn, so keep me informed on the progress of your course getting accredited.

#6 01-03-04 07:58:40

Liesa

Badger

I assume from your post, that you are currently on the Fleet register. I'd appreciate it if, you could tell me have a bit more, about what it's actually like to teach at this level, do you have any funny stories? 

The above would be much appreciated!

#7 01-03-04 10:07:20

Badger

Hello Liesa,

Yes Im on the voluntary Fleet Register.  I claimed Grandfathers rights having done the RoSPA Diploma course in Advanced Tuition.

Currently contracted to IAM Fleet.  Because of my rural situation in East Northants I am not very busy with Fleet Training at the moment.

Things are changing on the fleet front as a result of the Health and Safety Exutive now stating that the company vehicle is an extension of the workplace and must be included in training and safety assessments.

There are dozens of Fleet Training Companies out there and most will insist that their trainers are on the Register.  Some will train you to get on the register by taking the DSA exams. 

Grandfathers rights have now closed.

Anybody can be a Fleet Trainer.  The competition is fierce and most companies will not look at anyone who is not Registered.

It is an interesting job and provided that you know your stuff and dont try and bluff your way its quite easy.

Some ADIs have struck up a relationship with a company and have become their 'personal trainers'.  This is a situation where you might be able to get £25 - £30 per hour.  You would probably be expected to take out up to three drivers and run a course for about 8 hours.

Otherwise working for a Training Company your cut is going to be around the £12 - £14 per hour mark with the Company having to cover their overheads with the balance of course.

Funny incidents.  Most people take it very seriously.  Occasionally I have taken Directors wives on a course and more than one of them has not known whether the Jaguar/Mercedes/BMW was front or rear wheel drive !

Badger

#8 01-03-04 16:11:44

Liesa

Thanks for the info Badger, I only know of one other on the register, and knowing him I'd say, he got on the register the same way as you did!

#9 02-03-04 19:35:29

bigred
Verified Member
Website

How many people are actually on the fleet register? and how much has it grown over the last few years?

If being contracted to a company only gets you £12 to £14 is it really worth it? I believe it should be possible to earn a lot more for both company and instructor.

Anyone any knowledge in addition to what Badger has told us?

Regards,

#10 03-03-04 09:11:01

DSE
Verified Member
Website

I run a Fleet Trainer Diploma Course that is acredited by the DSA and therefore leads to entry onto the Fleet Register.

The course is 4 days in duration (spread over 3 full days and 2 half days) and can be run over consecutive days or one day per week over 5 weeks.

It takes place at a variety of loactions throughout the UK.

Full details can be veiwed at our website www.d-s-e.co.uk or feel free to email me with any questions or to request further details.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#11 03-03-04 09:47:22

Liesa

Hi DSE

Welcome to the boards!

I think I E-Mailed you for some information but never got a reply. Could you possibly send me a brochure?

#12 03-03-04 11:16:28

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa

A brochure will be in the post today.

Email me when it arrives.

Cheers

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#13 03-03-04 19:22:13

skier

Big Red,

Why do you think you should be able to charge more for Fleet Training ?

Do you think it is a more demanding job than teaching Learners, and thus you deserve more money as a result ?

Are there any such Trainers earning more doing that job, than they are at L's, after all expenses are taken care of ?

Is Fleet Training the future for ADIs who wish to earn more ?

#14 03-03-04 20:43:42

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Skier,

It's basically different! but which demands the highest skills I couldn't say.

A well marketed Fleet programme can earn significantly more than an L course, mainly because industry can and does pay more.

I don't think the job satisfaction is as high when training our corporate friends and there is a lot more admin for both the trainer and the management.

The future? It's down to whether the Government enforces the Health & Safety rules, at the moment it's not one of their priorities.

Regards,

#15 04-03-04 00:59:41

CarADI

I have done a very miniscule amount of Fleet work, but I dont see it as my future. Not enough reward for the solo ADI without lots of admin backup, and someone to find the work, whilst I am out teaching learner drivers. Too much diversivication could do me more harm than good financially.

#16 08-03-04 09:26:07

Liesa

Thanks DSE

The brochures just dropped through my letterbox, I've not had chance to look through it yet, but will post when I've done so.

Many thanks

#17 25-06-04 19:17:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

We've been talking with those very nice people from D-S-E about fleet driver training, they are happy to run a course in Kent on a one day a week for 5 weeks type basis. The course is accredited by th DSA and will, if you pass, get you on the DSA fleet drivers register.

We are also looking to see who is already on the register as we are hoping to get some significant amounts of fleet work in the near future. Let us know if you are interested.

Regards,

#18 07-07-04 19:15:02

Liesa

Hi Bigred

Sorry for the delay!

Unfortunately I've had to put my plans to do the fleet trainer diploma on hold for a while. I'd been saving up to pay for the course, then something unexpected cropped up and I've had to use my savings to pay for it. So it's back to square one and it now looks as though, it's going to be next year before I'm able to take the course :cry:

#19 12-07-04 10:48:09

rachdrive
Website

Hi All,

I have successfully completed my Fleet trainers course with DSE and found them very good.
I have no problem in recommending them to anyone who wishes to go down that route.

I am now awaiting my Badge from the DSA and then can start doing it for real!! Can't wait!!!

Cheers
Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#20 10-01-05 10:07:42

muffin

I have also just completed the DSE course.
Hard work but worthwhile, has given me a few more ideas that can be used with L drivers as well.
Highly recommend Dougie as a trainer.
Jeff

#21 10-01-05 15:12:39

ExAdiNigel

Liesa,

Phone DSA and order the Fleet Trainer Information pack (£6 if I remember rightly).  This has a list of all the companies offering courses that have been accedited by the DSA for entry onto the Fleet Register.  You can also, simply do the DSA exams.

I went on the RoSPA Diploma course back in August.  Hard work and intensive, but great fun nonetheless.  Can be a little more expensive than some of the others but they often have an offer of £100 off if you have already passed their advanced test at Gold standard.

Most work will tend to be through other companies unless you can use contacts to get into local companies direct.

A useful stepping stone into fleet work is the Nationl Driver Improvement Scheme.  Look here http://www.driver-improvement.org.uk/ to see who your local provider is and see if you can become an on-road trainer with them.  You don't need to be fleet qualified for that, though some of the companies prefer grade 5 or 6 ADI's.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer