You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-05-04 23:14:21

Josie

questions for ADI's who have their own business

Hi

To all you been there an done it ADI's out there. Please can you answer a few questions for me.  How long were you with a driving school before you went solo? I know there are pro's and con's with it all, but  do you prefer it? I really would like to aim at have my own little business, but do you reccomend starting with a school first? Some say go it alone after part 3 but after reading some of these posts I dont know.  When you take up the training with the larger schools, are you also commited by contact to their franchise deals or is this something you can decide on completion of the training.

It is all so confusing.  Fiinding a trainer is hard enough.. .Lol! I think sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for it, otherwise I'll still be at this stage in a year

:!:

26-05-04 23:14:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: questions for ADI's who have their own business

#2 28-05-04 12:28:35

Liesa

Hi Josie

I worked on a franchise for 3 years before I decided to go it alone. When you work on a franchise the length of the contract varies from 1 school to another, the contract I had was for 18 months, with a large Narborough based company, that advertise in the Leicester Mercury on a daily basis. I didn't realise untill I decided to leave that it was a rolling contract, which meant that even though the 18 months was up, it stayed in force untill I gave them notice to leave. I thought that 1 months notice was suficient, but they insisted that I gave them 3 months notice before leaving.

The moral of the story is to make sure that you read all of the contract including the small print, ask to take a copy away with you, before you sign it, so you can get it checked out
first.

As for being independant, it's the best move I ever made, but be warned the 1st 12 months can be very tough if you're starting from scratch. At least if you start off with a school and later go solo, you'll have already built up a good reputation and should already be getting most of your work via reccomendations.

#3 28-05-04 13:34:08

Michaela7
Website

Hi,

I worked for a local driving school on a franchise for my first 2.5 years. I found It was a good way to get to know the job and the school always made sure I had a full work load.

I left the franchise since I was moving out of the area, 80 miles away. Once moved I decided to go solo rather than working on a franchise. It was the best thing for me and I don't regret it at all. As Leisa says normally when you go it alone after being on a franchise you have a reputation and are working off recommendations. This wasn't the case for me having moved so far away. Although I'd moved back to an area I knew and where I had friends and family I didn't have a reputaion as an Instructor. Even so I've had no real problems. The first four months were a bit slow and I was virtually working part time but as people got to know about me things picked up and now a year on I have more than enough work to keep me going. So it just shows that even if you don't have an established reputation you can still make it work but do be prepared for it to take a little while to get going. That said I don't think I would have been so successful if I had gone alone as soon as I qualified. You learn an awful lot in your first few years and if you are on a franchise you have the backup of their driving school.

When you are starting out you need to markest yourself in any way you can. I found one of the best ways for me was a web site. I am lucky because mine is totally free, I designed it myself and beacause my ISP gives me free web space there is no cost for hosting. It's by no means perfect but it does the job for me. There are, of course, many other ways to advertise you just have to work out what is right for you.

Sorry to go on! Hope this helps in your decision making. big_smile

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

Board footer