You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 28-05-04 11:14:00

Accord

What Car?

I have looked at various driving instructors cars since deciding to train to become an ADI and there seem to be two cars topping the list,  the Vauxhall Corsa and the Ford Focus.  Now is this because they are the right car for the job or is this because they are the favoured choice of BSM and the AA schools?  I am about 6ft tall and the thought of driving around on a little Corsa for 8hrs+ every day sends shivers down my spine.  So does it mean the Focus is the right choice, it's a bigger car and gets rave reviews from it's owners?  I think there must be a tough, roomy, reasonably priced, economical and comfortable hatchback car with an AirCon option that i should also consider, any suggestions?[/b]

28-05-04 11:14:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What Car?

#2 28-05-04 12:15:09

Liesa

Hi accord

Take a look at the Pro's and Con's of your training car topic, this should help you decide which car to use as a tuition vehicle.

http://iseekhere.com/learn2driveforum/v … .php?t=297

#3 28-05-04 18:12:03

catlip

As an owner of a Focus (which I am very happy with), I am a little surprised that they are used for driving instruction due to the size and lack of visibility, although I have not driven many modern alternatives so I do not have much to compare it to.
My suggestion to assist in choosing a car is to hire one for a couple of days (if possible get somebody else as a second driver so you can try the passenger seat, which you will use a lot), or speak to local dealers in case they have a demonstrator you could borrow. You will be spending a lot of time in the car so a 15 minute test drive is not long enough to be sure it's the right car for you (although it can be long enough to decide it's not the right car). £50 on car hire could be well worth spending considering how much you could end up wishing you hadn't spent if you make the wrong choice.

#4 29-05-04 06:01:17

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I too am 6 ft and used a corsa for the last 11 months, and do i know about it when i get home!  i have never suffered with such back ache.....
I have now ordered a Seat ibiza SX, and when i took that out for a test drive i didnt want to go back in my corsa , as it was so comfy!  also the visibility for manouvres looks so much better, so i think i'm glad i made that choice.

Also in 11 months in the corsa, ive had wipers changed twice, handbrake adjusted 3 times, and a new starter motor, and its only done 17500 miles!!

Bring on the IBIZA!!!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 31-05-04 10:23:07

Matt

As an owner of a Focus (which I am very happy with), I am a little surprised that they are used for driving instruction due to the size and lack of visibility

I use my girlfriends moms Ford Focus 1.4cl from time to time (can't get very much stuff in the boot of my '94 mini!!  tongue ) I have to say i agree with the above. I find it a pretty nice car, I've driven worse modern cars, but I wouldn't have liked to have learned to drive in one. The size wouldn't have been of concern for me as I'm confident I could drive any car and i learned to drive in my dads hyundai lantra but I could see how it could be a bit nerve wracking for someone with less confidence. I have allways been a fan of people learning to drive in bigger cars as I feel they are more equipt for using a wider range of vehicles once they have passed and won't feel so scared of getting in anything bigger than a corsa/fiesta. However I didn't like the visabilty (or lack of!!) out the back of the Focus, I also didn't like the big A-posts. It was a nice drive tho once on the move, was impressed with the engine as it was only a 1.4 and the chassis is probs about the best i've come across in a modern car.

In summary, good car but i would choose to learn or teach in one.

Matt

Board footer