You are not logged in.

#1 26-05-04 20:37:02

Abi`s Dad

Right Reverse

Hi all,

I`ve been speaking to a couple of instructors and they`ve told me that the right reverse is never done on the driving test, is this true? I`ve only been instucting since March and have not had a practical test yet (2 in june though). I do teach right reverse but wondered if I really need to hammer it as much as I do the other manouvres.

Cheers, Darren (Abi`s dad)

26-05-04 20:37:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Right Reverse

#2 26-05-04 20:47:36

Midge
Website

There's nothing in the rules that say they can't ask a candidate to reverse into an opening on the right, but as far as I know,  the only time they do this is if someone is taking their test in a van with no side windows.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-05-04 21:02:47

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

In the last 3 years ive not had a pupil on test that was asked to reverse right, round a corner.

#4 26-05-04 21:07:55

Abi`s Dad

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like they dont bother with it then, come to think of it who does   roll

#5 26-05-04 21:47:57

adi
Verified Member
Website

In over 200 tests i have never known anyone get right reverse, i have taught it years ago but i don't anymore due to other drivers wandering what the hell were doing! Considering it takes so long for the other four manouvres to sink in with pupils it's probably not worth bothering with unless of course the customer requests it.

#6 26-05-04 22:24:34

DSE
Verified Member
Website

I suppose that all depends on whether you want to simply teach to pass a test, or teach to drive??

Food for thought!

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#7 26-05-04 22:34:48

arib
Verified Member
Website

DSE,
Yes it's right what you say. But can you honestly say you have ever seen anybody do it out on the road.
The only right reverse I ever see is, Pull across into side road and reverse out onto the main road. So if thats how it ends up then why teach it to a car driver in the first place.
Food for thought

ariB

#8 27-05-04 06:25:09

Ozzie

Hi All,

In 9 years and 500 tests, I've never had a pupil asked to do the right reverse, but it can be handy teaching it, as the pupil can see the kerb easily throughout the manoeuvre. This may make it easier for them to grasp the concept of the left reverse.

Oz

#9 27-05-04 06:48:45

Badger

I alwayas teach the right reverse because there are  cases where the only way of turning around is by reversing into a junction on the right.

Badger

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 27-05-04 07:50:56

DSE
Verified Member
Website

arib wrote:

DSE,
Yes it's right what you say. But can you honestly say you have ever seen anybody do it out on the road.
The only right reverse I ever see is, Pull across into side road and reverse out onto the main road. So if thats how it ends up then why teach it to a car driver in the first place.
Food for thought

ariB

Maybe that is because not many people are taught how to do it properly by their instructors when they are still learning!

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 27-05-04 17:45:35

adi
Verified Member
Website

DSE quote

I suppose that all depends on whether you want to simply teach to pass a test, or teach to drive??

Don't judge me on one statement thank you very much.

You could create a whole list of manouvres not included in driving test, u-turns, reversing into a garage, driving up car ramps for car maintenance, parallel parking on the right, do you teach any of these??????? well they are all part of driving are they not? Do you get your pupils to change a wheel, change light bulbs, replace wipers, top up the antifreeze, la de dah. I don't either, and unless pupils have several thousand pounds to cover absolutely every aspect of driving they are not likely to be covered by me either. If any of my pupils want to do any of the above or more i will gladly do it too, but to be honest the majority want to spend the minimum, so be it, they are the customer and i provide the service. There are many skills as a driver that you learn throughout life, and maybe some of those skills can be learned later at a more appropriate time in detail  and not all condensed into a basic learner driver course.

#12 27-05-04 20:52:04

arib
Verified Member
Website

DSE
Although you've quoted me I won't take your reply as a personal dig.  Yes all pupils have been taught correct,  look at Pull/Push technique, handbrake on to make car safe. But look what happens when they come back for a Pass Plus course. Crossed hands steering, no handbrake just the footbrake, car rolling backwards on the clutch.You look at them and think, 'I didn't teach you that' and thats in less than a month. So just because you think you've taught them correctly doesn't say they'll continue to do it. I'm afraid what i see in the real world after the test is passed is sometimes beyond me.  All the bad drivers out there were good at one time hence the license. But unfortunately they were all taught by us.
I tend to agree with ADI's post, the list is endless. it just puts this whole post into perspective.
End of moan

ariB

Board footer