You are not logged in.

#1 25-05-04 16:02:30

JazzyB

Insurance costs

New user of the forum here:

Trying to do the sums as I'm thinking of buying a car now in anticipation of my wife passing her part 3 this summer:

What are the typical insurance costs?  Are there any schemes to get reduced costs.  My wife will probably only do 25 hours a week  -  will that reduce the insurance cost?  Any particular insurers better than others? and finally does the car make a big difference?  ie: Mini One D vs. Nissan Micra vs Renault Megane 1.5 DCi ?

Husband of a trainee ADI - currently training for Part 3

25-05-04 16:02:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Insurance costs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-05-04 16:40:36

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I've just had a quote from Master Cover for £443.

This is for full ADI cover on a brand new Nissan Micra and includes Social & Domestic for me and my family.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#3 25-05-04 20:01:32

JazzyB

WOW! thats a lot less than I was anticipating.  I had been told it would cost upwards of £3k per year.  So that includes full cover for students use of the car etc.  What is the excess?

Husband of a trainee ADI - currently training for Part 3

#4 25-05-04 22:12:42

Josie

I think 443 is very cheap.........but 3k plus is extausion! If anybody else can help with Jazzyb's query, I too can do with some advice on this.  I spoke to another Female instuctor who has just qualified and her Insurance on a Nissan Micra was 548.43

:?:

#5 25-05-04 23:25:37

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Master cover policy is for:

Liability cover whilst teaching in pupils car
Off road tuition for under age drivers
Automatic cover for drivers over 17 including for social,domestic and pleasure use
Free green cards
Legal protection and recovery of uninsured losses
Dual control vehicle supplied and delivered following fault and non fault accidents
Automatic cover for convicted drivers re-sitting test
£100.00 tuition excess that does not vary , regardless of age or qualification of driver
Commission earning facility

Master Cover . com

I too was surprised at how cheap it was but aparently driving school cars are rarely in accidents - when they are it is typically a rear end shunt as the guy behind you failed to predict that stall.

I especially like the SDP use by over 17's - covers my kids using the car. There is a £400 excess though for under 25 non-pupils driving the car - they also must be named drivers on the policy.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#6 26-05-04 09:06:34

Midge
Website

You will find that different insurance companies  prices will vary according to the area you live in.  I tried all the companies I'd heard of, and still got the best deal from the DIA, £100 cheaper than the next nearest , and covered for more things.   I got quoted stupid prices from some, in the thousands.  I wonder why there are such huge  differences  for the same thing.   It means that whatever advice you get, you still have to check all the companies for yourself,  it's certainly worth the telephone cost.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#7 26-05-04 15:34:07

Bob_FOADS

When I was looking for insurance I got quotes ranging from £2k to £450 (I took the £450 option). You do need to find a company who do specific driving school insurance and specalise in it to get a good quote.

#8 26-05-04 21:10:56

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I pay £554 per year on a Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 CDTI SRI. That was with waveny insurance.

#9 27-05-04 06:13:31

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

This year i paid £543 for my corsa 1.2 club 5 door, through Mid Cornwall Brokers.
My renewal is due on 25th june, so hopefully with 1 years no claims no, it should come down a fair bit- i hope!!!
I was only a trainee too, but now qualified so i hope this will also make a difference, as i know that some companies would't insure me last year on a pinkee!!!

#10 27-05-04 06:13:33

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

This year i paid £543 for my corsa 1.2 club 5 door, through Mid Cornwall Brokers.
My renewal is due on 25th june, so hopefully with 1 years no claims now, it should come down a fair bit- i hope!!!
I was only a trainee too, but now qualified so i hope this will also make a difference, as i know that some companies would't insure me last year on a pinkee!!!

Board footer