You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-05-04 17:07:07

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

IAM INTRODUCE NEW 4 X 4 APPROACH COURSE

Worth Looking into if you drive one of these ?

Click Here

06-05-04 17:07:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: IAM INTRODUCE NEW 4 X 4 APPROACH COURSE

#2 07-05-04 22:29:57

Lynne
Verified Member

Yep, I may look into this.  I have a 4 x 4 only once put the thing into 4 wheel drive.  Never since taken it out of 2 wheel drive basically because I'd have to get the Pajero manual out to read up, then I use it so infrequently I'd forget again!   :oops: But of course I should practice have plenty of mud and hilly places on the farm where I keep my horse. 

Lynne

#3 08-05-04 01:07:54

jonks

I contract hired a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin. The tiny off spring of the Shogun.

Only a 1.6 engine but what fun!

I did a little off road stuff, nothing too adventurous but its a bug. I'd do anything to drive a REAL 4x4 mean machine.

#4 08-05-04 08:34:11

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

I bought my first Land - Rover when I was 18 and have had the 4 x 4 bug ever since. Over the last 20 years I've had several different Land/Range-Rover, Nissan, Toyota & Mitsubishi.

Would love to teach in a 3.5 litre V6 Shogun but due to insurance restrictions will stick to the 1.2 Corsa :!:

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#5 10-05-04 18:13:38

Major_tom

Hi John,

know exactly what you mean...

for some reason a 4.6 V8 Land Rover (auto) doesn't seem to be a normal learner car...

Cheers
MT

#6 11-05-04 19:41:16

adi
Verified Member
Website

My Land Rover Defender is fully kitted with underbody protection, grizzly claw mud tyres, raised air intake (snorkel) and has a wide range of offroad recovery items in the back. It spends most of its time on the weekends offroad in Wales or competition trialling.

Why not visit these websites , you can do what i do in new vehicles or if you are feeling adventurous you can get your vehicle in some really interesting places! www.staffs-shrops-lrc.co.uk , www.byways.org.uk , www.greenlaning.info

#7 24-05-04 09:59:56

Major_tom

Hi adi,

cheers for the links, I'm on the committee for the Cornwall & Devon LRC and take part in RTV's and organise TYRO trials so understand.  www.kourgath.demon.co.uk

My 90 is normally on AT type tyres (speed rated to S) and the mud's go on for an event (Q rated).  Until I started to learn to be an ADI I wasn't fully aware of speed ratings and the legality of running lower speed rating tyres.

It took some time but I think that Construction and Use regs mean that your tryes MUST be rated to the design speed of the vehicle not the legal maximum.  So I had to ditch my L rated Diamonds.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

I've got some Yokohama MT pattern remolds now, look like they can handle getting out of ruts better than most mud patterns, but we'll have to see. They are rated at Q (99mph) which I don't think any Defender is rated above.

Cheers
MT

#8 24-05-04 12:27:39

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi Mtom,
I used to swap my road biased tyres to MT tyres when going playing, but last year i bought some Grizzly Claw tyres from Bronco (265/75 r16). It took me weeks weighing up the pros and cons and whether to part with my hard earned cash but they are absolutely superb. They have 20mm tread and have worn down 4-5mm in the last 5000 miles. My concern was that they are a retread and with such an aggressive pattern, would they be safe on the road? Well my landy is Normally Aspirated diesel and takes about a week to get to 60mph which is only really achievable with the wind behind you and downhill! I have used them on wet roads, snow, ice and haven't had any problems with grip or being able to stop, in fact i can't feel the difference from the A/T tyres i used to have. They are a bit noisy when going around a roundabout but thats about it. Off Road they are unbelievable, they don't 'follow' ruts you just climb out! No need for those recovery points anymore! Nearly everyone in the two clubs i am in are changing to them. They have no signs of 'peeling' or remould 'bubbling' on the tyre walls and i have to say i will be buying them again. After this little advert i should get them for free!!
Do you ever go greenlaning? If you are over this way anytime (Shrewsbury) you should let me know i can show you some great routes. smile

#9 26-05-04 08:40:35

Major_tom

Hiya,

thanks for the invite, what with the Government trying to ban motorised vehicles from accessing the countryside, I guess we should do as much now as we can.

I keep meaning to drive some of the green roads around here (and there are quite a few) but with two pre-school children and learning to be ADI I don't seem to get the time...  I'm in enough trouble with SWMBO for setting up a whole weekend of trialing/camping etc over Fathers day weekend (19/20 June)  She doesn't agree that my Fathers day present should be two days (plus setup time) without looking after the kids smile

As to remoulds, they really have come on significantly since the old days, I've used remoulds for off-road for 10 years or so and the quality of manufacture and materials really has improved.  I now use remoulds on road as well.  I had BFG Trac Edge (superb but BFG stopped making them, I got 120k miles out of the rears and they still have 5mm tread) but I really don't like spending £110/corner so £32 seemed better.

I know the Grizzly Claws, a couple of our guys use them, but have cut away the lugs on the inside so that they don't catch the radius arms.  They use them exclusively off-road mind.

Thanks for the offer and similarly if your down here (Cornwall/Devon) let me know and I'll see what I can arrange.

Cheers
MT

Board footer