You are not logged in.

#1 19-08-05 18:42:33

Ozzie

Business attitude

Hi All,

I was just wondering what your attitude to the business side of driver training is. After all, we are all self-employed, all running a business.

So are other instructors rivals, or colleagues?

Are you making friends or enemies on the way up?

Are you willing to tread on a few toes on the way to success?

Oz

19-08-05 18:42:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Business attitude

#2 19-08-05 18:50:06

sparkle

Collegues DEFO NOT rivals!

I got lots of ADI's numbers in my mobile..we work close together if we need to dish some work out...swap tests..loan of car etc etc..we are all SOLO..and it works well.

I dont tread on anyones toes..everyone loves me lol  lol lol  lol  lol

#3 19-08-05 19:23:01

Airmiles

Well, Al Capone and partners / colleages / acquaintances / had the right idea.

It's business  :!:

#4 19-08-05 19:26:05

sparkle

Nothing to rival about though in my eyes.

I got my work they got theirs plenty of work here -so everyone gets a share of the pie.

I wave at the adi's i like..and not at the ones i dont know..ohh sorry going off topic.

#5 19-08-05 19:26:26

TDC
Verified Member

this is something that gets me about this industry,  in most other industries one company or businessman will try !!!!!!!! hard to get the other companies customers off of them, yet here it seems once a pupil is with an instructor its hands off unless the pupil leaves of own free will ,no poaching , no persuasing etc etc or at least not as much as in other industries. At the end of the day if a local school has say 50 pupils on their books those pupils are fair game and are in the market for driving lessons so why shouldnt we all go for them, yet it doesnt happen. mmmm

havign said that if instructor has problems id be there for them ie lights failed  tyre problems timings etc etc

Im so good its unbelievable

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 19-08-05 19:30:33

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

I came into this business with my eyes open, mainly thanks to the fact that my father was already an ADI. He has now retired after 30 years.
Before I qualified, I asked him about the business side of it. I said that as far as I could see, there were already a lot of driving schools in our area. He said yes, there are a lot of instructors but there is hardly any competition. I didn't understand but when I heard of ADI's who shout, swear, smell, smoke, don't turn up, etc. I realised that I could afford to be really nice to others, as it wouldn't affect me at all. I don't advertise at all. I'm always as full as I want to be ( 40 hours a week ). I remember thinking that my father sounded very arrogant with his remark, and maybe I'm sounding that way too, but I don't mean to be. I'm in business and I stay in business by always trying to do a good job, and it works!

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#7 19-08-05 19:43:52

Horizon
Verified Member

Business is business and my ultimate dream would be to build my business up to such an extent that there is only my school on the road.

So as far as business is concerned, definitely rivals. However that doesn't mean you can't see them as colleagues because the above will never happen.  However if it did, I wouldn't have any qualms about it.

I used to be a bank manager and know how to run a business, and part of the problem with our profession is that there are too many who don't.

I very often run a survey of what my competitors (yes, thats how I see them) are charging and adjust any special offers I mught have on accordingly.  And also I wouldn't hesitate to latch on to some weakness of another instructor to try and poach pupils.

Hard-nosed? Yes.  Does it work? Yes.  In a big city with hundreds of independent instructors, I've gone from a sole instructor to a mult-car school.

#8 19-08-05 19:51:10

sparkle

Horizon> what you say is correct

however

I for one, do not want to expand into a multi car school...i coudl quite easily do it..the area i work in IS busy... lots of asian pupils fighting for the very few female adi's here..but im not that way inclined.

I dont see my collegues as rivals at all... i really dont.

I 'run' my business very well..i also charge far more than my collegues..they know this..and there are no hard feelings.

each to thier own wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 19-08-05 20:01:39

Rauxaman

I used to be a bank manager and know how to run a business

roll  :?  :twisted:

#10 19-08-05 20:41:38

Airmiles

Rauxaman......... that's what i thought too...   roll  :?  :twisted:  but...........

Bank managers invariably charge top whack interest rates and a fortune for a letter, so very very very odd why ............. exbankoes should set driving lesson fees at the lower end of the market. yikes

#11 20-08-05 06:47:55

Horizon
Verified Member

Lower end?  The only people charging more than me in our area are BSM and the AA.  Yes I offer reduced price beginners lessons but have you never heard of a loss leader?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 20-08-05 07:57:33

Ozzie

Horizon wrote:

Lower end?  The only people charging more than me in our area are BSM and the AA.  Yes I offer reduced price beginners lessons but have you never heard of a loss leader?

But are you Asda or Harrods?

Personally we don't do introductory discounts, no first lesson free, or first 10 hours for £150. As a matter of fact I am in the process of repricing at the moment, pushing prices up to £24 an hour for weekdays, £26 at weekends. So I assume that I may not be Harrods, maybe Marks and Spencers or Debenhams  wink

In reply to my original posting, I make as many friends as I can on the way up . . . . I may need them to cushion the fall on the way back down.

However a few toes may get pinched on the way up lol

Oz

#13 20-08-05 08:01:33

sparkle

Ozzie wrote:

In reply to my original posting, I make as many friends as I can on the way up . . . . I may need them to cushion the fall on the way back down.

Exactly. You NEVER know.

#14 20-08-05 08:44:37

TDC
Verified Member

too right nothing like a soft landing on those other adis  big_smile

lets not turn the thread into should we offer intro discounts etc as its each to their own, differs between areas, demographics etc etc

Im so good its unbelievable

#15 20-08-05 09:56:11

Airmiles

Horizon,

Why not charge more than BSM and AA?

Why not take the lead and set the pace?

If your ADIs are good, it should not be a problem.

Do you not think it is embarrassing that PDIs of 'that' company can get more dosh per lesson than your own qualified ADIs?

As one eminent head of an association said, ''You should charge what you are worth''.

Are your ADIs worth less than 'that' companies' PDIs ??????

Or are you more interested in the franchise fees from your ADIs ?????

Are your ADIs really happy paying £100+- every week for someone to provide a telephone answering service?

Are you a paid up member of the 'National Telephone Answering Services Association' ???

What are the benefits??????

Must be good for BUSINESS  wink

#16 20-08-05 11:50:16

Rookie
Website

Always wave at you guys, luv u all
Chill out..  8)  8)  8)

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#17 20-08-05 12:24:22

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

TDC wrote:

. At the end of the day if a local school has say 50 pupils on their books those pupils are fair game and are in the market for driving lessons so why shouldnt we all go for them, yet it doesnt happen.

There is so much work around, I can't see why anyone would try to 'poach' from another school. I had a pupil once that was offered half price lessons if she left me and went to them. She didn't go and the other ADI was rightly embarrassed when I told him that I knew. I said: "She wouldn't come to you, even at half my rate! Are you really that desperate for work? Tell you what, mate. Why don't you come and work for me if you can't get enough business" I still wave to him though. :twisted:

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#18 25-08-05 22:59:03

Hopton
Verified Member

Both friendy to them on the road and test centre but rivels every where else after all you have to pay the bills.

Driving me Crazy, and thats just the wife !

#19 26-08-05 07:51:23

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi, Those that know me know I have a goal of world domination, however, my business plan is somewhat flexible lol

Work is easy to come by in areas where we are established, but reputation doesn't travel as fast and as far as our growth so we have to use efficient marketing methods to gain any ground.

We don't ever poach or try to claw back any pupils from instructors who leave. I treat everyone very fairly and aim to seduce quality instructors to come and work with us. But the fact remains that we have 1000 (guess)competitors in Kent and we definitely aim to get to these pupils first!

But I suppose my business is like a good rugby match where you go and kick ass for 80 minutes then go and spend 3 hours in the bar drinking and singing together.

Have a nice day 8)

Regards,

#20 26-08-05 08:57:43

Hopton
Verified Member

I hope thats soft drink or a taxi!!

Driving me Crazy, and thats just the wife !

#21 26-08-05 09:47:32

bigred
Verified Member
Website

That wouldn't be natural! lol

Regards,

#22 16-12-08 10:35:36

Hale
Verified Member
Website

Orcharddrive
I'll second you on that, what you put in to it, you get out of it.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#23 16-12-08 12:20:09

Carlo
Verified Member

My wife is a bank manager with one of the "big boys" and I'm shocked at hearing some of the things they expect from her in order to meet "targets".

Goes to show why banks are doing so well at the moment?  They are all run by "professional business people" (or wannabe Alan Sugar's looking for a quick buck).

"It's easy when you know how!"

#24 17-12-08 11:57:29

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Some of my philosophy

We want to be the first choice of driving school a new pupil wants to learn with.

We want to be the first choice of driving school for all Instructors.

We hate not getting a booking when somebody calls.

Existing pupils with other instructors will only change through their own choice. So we work with mutual respect.

There is no reason why any business can't be bigger and better than the nationals if they want to, I want to be. Had a lot of time off this year for another business but back in the saddle for 2009.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#25 03-01-09 11:22:54

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Horizon wrote:

My wife is a bank manager with one of the "big boys" and I'm shocked at hearing some of the things they expect from her in order to meet "targets".

Goes to show why banks are doing so well at the moment?  They are all run by "professional business people" (or wannabe Alan Sugar's looking for a quick buck).

Really, interesting how things change...............

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

Board footer