You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 20-05-04 12:27:04

Darren

Re: Fuel blockades may be returning!

Liesa wrote:

When the last blockade took place back in september 2000, I'd only been qualified for about 15 months. I didn't have any choice but to keep working right through the protest, due to getting into quite a bit of debt to pay for my training.  No doubt there are many others out there in just the same boat, who if they had to take unplanned leave would end up in a real financial mess!

Even now although we're both busy we can't afford to take more than our usual holidays off.

What you've got to remember mclaren is, driving instructors are self employed and if we don't work we don't get paid, but we still have to meet all the usual living cost etc.

I know what your saying there, but what i meant was, if the fuel prices go lower, you's can lower your prices by mabee £1.00 per hour say, just being cheaper than the competitor, and getting more clientel.

Look at tesco and Somerfield. Tesco sell things for cheap, high quality but cheap, unlike somerfield, who sell things sometimes double the price of Tesco, and its the same item.
I know they can afford to and you's cant, but with the saving you will be making on petrol, you's could give that saving to the pupils who, in return, will probably bring more work your way because of your prices.

I know you pay for what you get, but if its the same item, different price....wouldnt you want to go to the cheaper shop?

Its only an idea, but i think a good one.

I do reliase you have to live, as your self employed but with cheaper prices, more custom will probably come your way.

20-05-04 12:27:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 20-05-04 18:55:15

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I know you pay for what you get, but if its the same item, different price....wouldnt you want to go to the cheaper shop?

But that's the whole point - it's NOT the same item.

Using your analogy - do a cheap tin of unbranded backed beans taste the same as Heinz? - No, there is a significant difference in the quality of the product even though they may initially look the same.

If you were given the choice of buying a quality second hand car for £2K or a clapped out banger for £200, what would you buy? Some people would have no choice but to buy the banger because of their finances and they are fully aware it will give them problems. Most people would pay the extra for the quality car because they want the peace of mind knowing it is less likely to let them down.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#28 20-05-04 19:31:19

Darren

MrBassMan wrote:

But that's the whole point - it's NOT the same item.

Using your analogy - do a cheap tin of unbranded backed beans taste the same as Heinz? - No, there is a significant difference in the quality of the product even though they may initially look the same.

If you were given the choice of buying a quality second hand car for £2K or a clapped out banger for £200, what would you buy? Some people would have no choice but to buy the banger because of their finances and they are fully aware it will give them problems. Most people would pay the extra for the quality car because they want the peace of mind knowing it is less likely to let them down.

theres no need to bite my head off, i was only saying.

what i was saying is........... well............ whats the point sad

#29 20-05-04 20:57:57

Badger

Nobody has the right to stop me working by cutting off my fuel supply - I dont care what their reasons are.

If they do persist with their selfish  scheme and succeed they will have done so at the cost of my livelihood.

What come back do I have then ?

Yes fuel will be cheaper but my business will be bankrupt. Will the truckers union pay the instalments on my car or its Insurance?

I doubt it.

No. There has got to be a better way than that and ADIs must not support the blockade of fuel depots.

Badger

#30 21-05-04 09:29:10

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

mclaren wrote:

theres no need to bite my head off, i was only saying. sad

I'm sorry McLaren - I didn't mean to bite your head off - I just got carried away.

Anyone want to buy a head - only slightly chewed!  :oops:

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#31 21-05-04 12:33:24

Darren

MrBassMan wrote:
mclaren wrote:

theres no need to bite my head off, i was only saying. sad

I'm sorry McLaren - I didn't mean to bite your head off - I just got carried away.

Anyone want to buy a head - only slightly chewed!  :oops:

yeah, can i buy it, im missig mine lol

Ill try and explain what i was meaning.

If the fuel prices went down, you's would then beable to lower your prices, slightly, but enough to make a difference to the pupils without loosing any money. If your prices were a wee bit lower than your major competitor, you would probably take their future custom, with the possability of you gaining more money.

It dosnt always work, but in theory, if you think about it, it might work.

#32 21-05-04 15:27:06

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Mclaren,

You're not getting the eaisiest ride from us ADI's as I reckon we should all put up our prices and wait for our competitors to follow suit.

Most students ask several of their mates and choose the one that they rave about most. Why would an excellent, popular ADi want to lower their prices? We have a lot of people on a waiting list, waiting(?) to start in a few weeks or a months time.

Cheap isn't always cheerful!!

Regards,

#33 21-05-04 18:56:50

Badger

This thread has been hijacked.

We need to discuss the best way to deal with a shut down of our fuel supplies.

If you want to discuss the cost of lessons and the pros and cons of pricing up or down may I respectfully suggest that a new thread is started.

Badger

#34 21-05-04 19:11:06

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Sorry Badger!  :oops:

I still think it's crazy that the lorry drivers blockade petrol stations, I still reckon blockading tax offices would be much more popular with the voters!

Regards,

#35 21-05-04 19:39:06

Badger

I totally agree Big Red  -  we need to blockade No 10.

There's no reason why driving instructors cant take some sort of action of their own - but it must hit the people who make the decisions ie the MPs.

Its no good taking action against Joe Puiblic who can do nothing.

Badger

#36 21-05-04 20:10:39

Major_tom

Badger has it right - it's the MP's who vote the budget in and Gordon Browne who does the dirty.

At the last fuel blockade, I supported it (but then I had no problem filling up with LPG).  My company threatened to dock pay for those who didn't turn up to work...

<RANT>
Most voters look at the income tax figure and use that, just look at how this government has used "stealth" or indirect taxes to screw money out of us.

- Fuel price "escalator" speeded up  (Mr Browne racks up nigh on 80% fuel cost as tax)
- Pension schemes £4bn removed/year so screwing up any pension scheme you might of had
- £22bn taken from telecoms companies (not really sorry for them, but that money eventually disappears from our pocket in increased call charges)
- Speed cameras can't remember the figures but the change of name to "safety" camera doesn't bear statistical witness but the very large number of fines is a nice little earner
- a tax on insurance to pay for those who don't insure (well, why not raid my wallet Mr Browne?  :x )

I'm a-political  as in they are all bu&&ers in it for themselves but overall the only way for ADI's, truckers and all of us motorists to have any impact is to make a political stand and vote them out.  Generally all the main parties have the same policies ("Keep ourselves in power", "say it was the last lot's fault", "vote ourselves a huge pay rise", "vote huge pension scheme", etc) so it will make no difference really but the opposition parties will take note if they think it will get them into power.  Oh wait, Blair promised all sorts, produced nice little cards, later pretended that he hadn't promised - so maybe real physical action is the one way left...  Works for the French!
</RANT>

I'm a PDI at present and will probably get a new diesel with 50+mpg and a stack of jerry cans if needed (if I pass)

Ho hum.
MT

#37 21-05-04 20:38:43

Bob_FOADS

Hi all,
Just got this in my email, might have an impace if we all try and do it and dosen't particulary affect anyone except the big compines. I didn't wirte it so excuse the pyrimid scheme type of seling tactic...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.
Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent,
united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day"

campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves
by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take
aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not
sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers
need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of
petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing
their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not

selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and
BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me

at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at
least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten

more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches
the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION

consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten
friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it
goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION
PEOPLE!!! Again,all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's
all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us

sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all
300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did
you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR
PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action:
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your
petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e. BOYCOTT BP
& ESSO!!!

#38 21-05-04 22:05:24

Badger

Brilliant idea - but we should limit our purchases to Supermarkets only.

They are the only group who have tried to keep prices down and they still offer voucher reductions in fuel prices based on the amount spent in their stores.

Thanks for forwarding that on Bob

Badger

#39 24-05-04 12:47:40

Mike Geary

Bying from the Supermarkets is fine?

but where do they get their fuel from?
                                                    which Oil Company?
                                                                             BP / ESSO / SHELL / Q8.........ect........

So, if you don't know "who'es" fuel your buying, how can you pressureise an OIL Company?................

Please explain that one!!!!

#40 24-05-04 19:37:20

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Quite right you don't know where the supermarkets buy their fuel, locally here its Conoco (Jet), but what we do know is the reason for it being cheaper to buy (The big boys add detergent to their fuel, there is no detergent in supermarket fuel, which modern diesel engines need)

I would support this idea wholeheartedly and boycott Esso BP and Shell  but not at the cost of buying inferior fuel from a supermarket which will hammer my M.P.G.

Personally I would change to Texaco to maintain the condition of my engine.

Cheers

Former Shell/Esso Retailer

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

Board footer