17-05-04 09:49:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: cars running on LPG

#2 18-05-04 16:35:14

Serpico
Verified Member

I got my Fiat Bravo converted just over two years ago. The first 6 months were an absolute nightmare, constant stalling and mis-firing meant I spent the vast majority of that time running on petrol. The installers to be fair worked hard at putting things right, but without much success. Then all of a sudden it worked fine, and has been running pretty well for the last 18 months. Occasionally it gets a little lumpy, but i find that running on petrol for a few hours fixes that. I still change over to petrol for tests though, just to be on the safe side.

Filling up is so cheap it's almost fun. 36.9 pence per litre smile Even after you make allowance for the lower calorific value of the LPG it still works out that I'm getting twice as many miles per pound as I was before. And if there is another fuel crisis I should be ok. Well maybe.

#3 18-05-04 20:44:59

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Did I not hear in the last budget that the tax incentives for converting to LPG and on the fuel itself is to be removed making it as dear as petrol?

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 18-05-04 21:51:23

Serpico
Verified Member

beonedge3 wrote:

Hi

Did I not hear in the last budget that the tax incentives for converting to LPG and on the fuel itself is to be removed making it as dear as petrol?

The duty on a litre of LPG is going up 1.5p in November. There was speculation it would be a lot more,  but I think the government realised it would kill the industry.

#5 19-05-04 12:50:37

Darren

i thought they wernt going to touch LPG?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 20-05-04 00:39:35

Serpico
Verified Member

mclaren wrote:

i thought they wernt going to touch LPG?

It was only a politician's promise. What do you expect?  smile

#7 21-05-04 11:15:21

keslo66

hiya. my sister has had 2 cars converted to lpg and they both were never the same again. the cars are automatic an as someone else wrote the car stalled and kicked back all the time.
steph xx

#8 21-05-04 16:02:08

Major_tom

Hi there,

I've used LPG on my Land Rover for about 3 years and the only real complaint is the exorbitant amount of money that some companies charge for the installation.

I did my own  (to the appropriate standards) plus running a V8 the conversion paid for itself in 7 months.

The major problem with LPG installations and running problems are due to the installers trying to get the LPG system very "lean" which makes the emmissions small. LPG by its nature is less polluting than either Petrol or diesel depending upon which pollutant you measure so they are pushing it too far (or using the wrong settings)

Generally if the LPG system causes a misfire, or rough running then it is the basic fuel metering that is out.

LPG makes affording a V8 possible.  (Unfortunately not for tuition sad  )

If your installer cannot get it right then take it to another installer... (most are LPGA approved but that only means they have paid the money and attended the course).  There are a few companies out there that have been doing LPG for decades and these often know the systems properly,  someone who has just started up is less likely to...

Cheers
MT

Board footer