You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 14-04-04 09:27:23

DSE
Verified Member
Website

personal experience of advanced tests

Having done a few of these tests I thought I would share my experiences with you and my personal opinion of each.

DIAMOND
This was the first advanced test I took and I did this shortly after qualifying as an ADI.  It is the nearest thing to an ADI part 2 test and is therefore very useful as a mock test prior to sitting a part 2. This way it gives valuable exam experience without risking a part 2 life.  Having been involved in ADI training for a number of years I have put dozens of my trainees through this test for this very reason.  It is based on a 'dsa' style drive so it does not contradict the system of driving that you are learning for part 2 in the way that other advanced tests do.

RoSPA
I have taken this test a number of times, being awarded a gold grade on each occasion. Of all the tests I have taken I consider this to have been the most thorough and come away really feeling that I have been examined.  It is conducted by a serving or retired police class 1 driver and includes commentary driving as well as some theory questions.  On one occasion I was examined by the chief instructor of my local police force training school. This guy really put me through my paces and gave me some amazingly difficult manoeuvres to perform.  The de-brief following this test has always been very thorough and helpful, as has the written report that arrives a few days later.  Because of the difference in driving styles I would advise PDIs to stay away from this test until you have qualified as it my put confusion in your mind.

IAM
I must admit that my personal experience of this test was very dissapointing.  It was one of the last tests I took and my examiner was a gentleman who had retired from the police force for medical reasons and was busy embarking on a career as an ADI. During the week before my exam he had failed his first attempt at part 3. Prior to my test we were chatting and I was telling him a little about myself to which his response was "this should be no problem because you are far more qualified than me". He then closed his clipbaord/folder, placed it on the floor and we set off.  During the drive he was more interested in telling me of his part 3 experience and asking my advice. At the end he picked up his clipboard, ticked a few boxes and said "obviously that was no problem, well done" and off he went.  Although I had passed, I felt cheated and it was very much a case of 'turn up and get it' rather than being examined.  As a result of my personal experience I have never gone back to the IAM and have never pushed it to anyone I am training. For anyone interested in the IAM though, I would again suggest that you leave well alone until you have qualified.

CARDINGTON
I passed Cardington in the days when it had a pass threshold of 2 driving faults.  It was a very tough test, and like the RoSPA one I came away feeling that I had been well and truly examined. The manoeuvres given were all a little awkward and the variety of roads and the route chosen was very testing. I was also required to give arm signals for part of the drive.  I enjoyed the experience but didn't appreciate having to wait ten days for my result. I never did understand the idea that my examiner had to discuss my drive with the chief examiner who hadn't even been there, before my result could be decided. I believe the system has now changed and you are informed of your result immediately.

In summary, I think it does us all good to have our own driving examined from time to time. I remember being told prior to one of my RoSPA tests that often ADIs come for these tests but they have come to accept a 'good learner' standard as being a 'good driving' standard when of course it is far from it. As a result they have let their own standards slip to this 'good learner' standard.  I have experienced this myself with ADIs attending our Fleet Diploma Course. Many are surprised just how many driving faults they have picked up over the years.  If anyone wants any personal advice on any of these tests then please feel free to contact me. Training is also available for these and other tests, as well as check tests, ADI exams and fleet exams. See our website or contact me directly for further information.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

14-04-04 09:27:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: personal experience of advanced tests

#2 14-04-04 12:01:47

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hello DSE

Whilst I appreciate your point of view about the Advanced Driving test,I feel that you personally found it disappointing because you were as follows.

1.  You had done the Diamond Test (which is harder I admit)

2. You had done the ROSPA course (again ABOVE Normal advanced driving test.)

I Cannot possibly comment on either of those points because I haven't done them YET.
I also cannot comment on your own experience with the Examiner you had for your IAM test.

I know ours is very strict and everything Must be spot on.

Also I feel that because you were already an ADI and had done the above courses,that could have lead to your disappointment as well.

At the end of the day we have to respect each other's point of view,and I do respect yours.
We are all out for the same end and that is to put safer drivers on the Road,and I feel that I help to do that.

Please don't take offence at what I have said as none was intended.

Regards.
Giz.

#3 14-04-04 12:34:09

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Giz

No offence taken at all - this forum is all about opinions and I fully accept and agree with the points you have raised above.

I must stress that my experience relayed above referred to my own personal experience in taking the IAM test - it does not mean that I have no respect for the organisation, far from it - I work closely with many highly qualified and respected ADIs who also work for the IAM and I have the utmost respect for them and the work they carry out for this organisation.

I think I was unfortunate in the examiner I had and the timing of my test. Had it been the first one I had taken I might have felt differently about it, but having taken and passed much tougher tests, I have to say that in my opinion this one was dissapointing. I did not feel that personally I was 'tested' and that the examiner made his mind up prior to the test that I would pass anyway based on my other qualifications.

I am sure that this was just my own experience and I hope it doesn't put anyone off doing the test for themselves. In fact, I hope it encourages them to give it a go so that more people can share their own personal experiences.

Keep up the good work Giz - your work to promote road safety and higher driving standards can only be of benefit to all concerned.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency

#4 14-04-04 18:09:40

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for sharing that with us DSE.

We all can find info on various website but nothing like a inside look/view

Regards

#5 14-04-04 21:24:24

arib
Verified Member
Website

What a good topic DSE and a timely one as far as I'm concerned.
I have been an IAM member since 1982 However when I came into this job, my part 2 was in 2000, it was obvious my standards had dropped as I had one or two faults that needed putting right. Not to much of a problem as i passed part 2 with 3 minors. However it was a wake up call and I am aware that the same could happen again. So it is now I am thinking of going for RoSPA. I understand the grading system but i note that you say you have resit the test. Is this a part of the membership criteria that you must re sit every so often or was it you going for a higher grade. With IAM it's one test full stop.
Also you say that they gave you some amazingly difficult manoeuvres. Can you be a bit more specific, it sounds a bit like an army assault course that. Are the manoeuvres different from the 3 used in the standard driving test.
Finally, would you advise some form of training for the RoSPA test and is the running commentary compulsory.

ariB

#6 14-04-04 21:59:12

DSE
Verified Member
Website

arib

Firstly, yes I would advise some training from someone familiar with the RoSPA style of driving and the requirments of the test.  Without training you may well achieve a silver grade but would find it difficult to reach the gold.  To outline all the criteria and differences on here would be impossible but for example you should begin by outlining the safety checks you carried out on your car at the start of the journey. You should then outline your pre-driving checks as you do them and include a stationary and a moving brake test.

On the move the commentary is a compulsory part of the test if you want a high grade. Most examiners ask for two lots of ten minutes, one covering town driving and the other more open roads. They will usually tell you when to start and stop this commentary.

You must re-sit the test every three years to keep your grade 'live'.

The manoeuvres I eluded to incuded a double dog-leg reverse, left and then immediate right into a very tight back lane. Observation was practically nil and there was only inces to spare to give me the required swing into the second opening. Added to this was the fact it was on a cobbled surface and also a steep gradient. I remember congratulating the examiner on finding such a junction and he told me he used it to put cocky police drivers in their place. I can certainly see how.

If you haven't already done so, obtain a copy of raodcraft or fleetcraft (very similar) to aid your preparation for this tough test.  Best of luck with it and I look forward to reading your experience on here.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency

#7 01-05-04 22:12:37

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Hello
I passed my IAM Advanced Driving Test about a month ago now and I did feel tested although the examiner didnt take any notes and he doesnt like taking notes while on a test but at the end he did a full debrief and was able to give me some very valuable feedback about the test as though he had taken notes.

Although it is optional I did do a full commentry throughout the test and I found this to be a great advantage to my driving as you are looking for things to mention.

Kevin.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#8 14-05-04 21:04:52

Idrivetoo

I retook my RoSPA test about a mounth ago the examiner took no notes during the drive, however he could debrief me on all the route as he was in a former "life" an examiner for the Devizes driving school.
I DO love my driving

I DO love my driving

#9 16-05-04 01:16:44

Gizmotime
Administrator

On all three of my driving test with the Iam the Examiner has taken notes,this is because he said he found it useful for his own personal files and notes he keeps,just in case any one wanted to verify what had actually taken place during the test.

I didn't find this off putting at all,during any of the runs that I did.

Giz

#10 16-05-04 11:34:18

Idrivetoo

The only test I had an examiner write notes on as I drove was my MiDAS. I treated it as any other driveing assesment, commentry et al. The fact that he was taking notes did not concern me. The fact that in a minibus, I was alleged to use my mirrors too much, did :!:  :evil: In a very large town/city I dispute that you can use them too much  sad  but examiners are never wrong are they.   roll
I DO love to drive.

I DO love my driving

#11 17-05-04 15:02:53

David Wooder

Hello all, this is my first posting on the site, so forgive me if I don't make much sense. I'm not that computer literate!
I did my DIAmond test last August, & my IAM this March.
Personally, I felt the IAM examiner wanted me to be too progressive, & this isn't how I would normally drive, but didn't feel this way about the DIAmond test.
I also feel the IAM tend to concentrate too much on cross-country roads, but perhaps this just reflects on what is probably the weakest area of my driving.
I am now planning to take the DIAmond Special Advanced Test, & would be interested to know if this also follows the DSA 'style' of driving or an 'advanced' style. Also, is a commentary required?
Regards,
David

#12 18-05-04 11:55:14

Liesa

Hi david and welcome to the site!

You made complete sense to me wink

The Diamond special test follows the DSA style of driving, You don't have to do any commentry driving on the test, unless you want to.

Hope this helps and keep us informed of your progress 8)

#13 19-05-04 22:03:43

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Hi
My IAM test route also covered alot of country driving and this was raised in a meeting of observers about the previous test route which covered a fair bit of the local Dual Carriageway as we dont have an accessible motorway here. They took a chunk out of that route and replaced it with more country driving as it was considered to be more country driving done locally although I do think more town driving should have been done.

Kevin.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#14 19-05-04 23:03:59

Lynne
Verified Member

DSE I found your commentaries very interesting especially regarding RoSPA.

I wonder if the IAM examiner ever passed his part 3!!!    roll

Lynne

#15 06-08-04 21:53:39

David Wooder

Passed the DIAmond Special Advanced Test today, with one fault.
Certainly felt like I was being examined, and found it much more rewarding than the IAM test. Echoing my earlier post in this thread, the route comprised a better variety of roads, and unlike the IAM examiner there was no mention in the de-brief of needing to be more 'progressive'.
Also, remembered something else about the IAM test: the parallel park I was asked to do, was almost impossible, owing to the width of the road and parked cars on the right. As a result, I finished too far from the kerb, because I had to reverse at a shallow angle, so as not to clip the car on the right of me.
In case it sounds like I'm being too critical of the IAM, I should say my IAM observer was great: I learnt a lot from him, and without that help, I probably wouldn't have passed today's test.
Incidentally, I was asked to do two bouts of commentary today.
Regards,
David

#16 07-08-04 18:00:24

Gizmotime
Administrator

Congratulations David.

Board footer