You are not logged in.

#1 19-05-04 11:52:46

Accord

career change

Hi all,

I'm a first time user to your forum and i have read a few encouraging posts but am still unsure of my next move.  I have an appointment on Monday for a BSM interview / assessment.  I have now read some quite worrying stories about them.  Can you tell me if their training programme and franchise deal to become an ADI with them is worth the £2.5k they are asking for it please?  It does seem to be the most professionally laid out scheme i have seen so far but at a much larger fee also.  I live in Crawley so any BSM ADI's willing to take the time to write their feelings on this and any other relevant posts would be much appreciated.  I am currently looking at imminent redundancy from my current job in a large company and after previously being a Taxi driver for many years have a yearning for being my own boss again.  Is it worth staking my redundancy cash on becoming (hopefully very quickly) an ADI? :?:

19-05-04 11:52:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: career change

#2 19-05-04 16:38:09

Josie

Hi Accord

Like you I am relatively knew to this site, but thank god I found it.  I am also looking to become an ADI and it is very hard, especially knowing who to take the the training with.  I have done my research on most National driving schools.  I would not like to slander BSM but I must say I have come across quite alot of negative feedback, and personally I think their franchise deal is far too much.  I have heard their training is very good but I tend to look a bit further ahead and ask myself what these company's offer me when I qualify.  Its everybody's personal choice and circumstance but I personally have found better deals out there.  I live in Leicstershire so cannot help you with Local schools in Crawley  plus I am still looking myself....LOL! But as far as larger school's go, LDC are still the top of my list as an option.  From past experience, you get from these ventures as much as you put in so I think if you want it enough then its not a waste of your well deserved money but just make sure your a 100% happy with the company you train with.

Good Luck
Josie  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-05-04 17:11:17

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi I trained and now have a francise with LDC all I would say to you is have more than 1 interveiw and see which school is best for you and who you most at home with as you are going to be investing a lot of money on this training
all the best

alan

#4 19-05-04 18:07:34

adi
Verified Member
Website

Your question seems to be the one most asked on the forum. Regardless of what company you choose it all depends on the individual instructor allocated to your training. I trained with Instructor College 5 years ago and passed all three parts without any problem whatsoever, but i put that down to the trainer not the company itself as i have heard negatives about them as a whole.
Once you do become an ADI you will start to see how different driving schools are and how individual instructors differ in attitude and how passionate they are about their teaching. At the end of the day all ADIs get learners through the driving test whether they are top grade or not. The difference been in most cases is the length of time the training can take. You can apply this thinking to your choice in Instructor training establishments. Whoever you train with make sure you are happy with your personal trainer, be prepared to work 100%, if your not sure about something or don't fully understand a subject keep on asking until you do understand. Too many people train as ADI's expecting the training establishments to 'get them through'. YOU have to get yourself through. They will have all the information and tools for you to do it but it's down to you to get yourself as ready as you can before tackling each exam. When i was prompted to take each part of my exams by the school i waited a little longer each time to make myself totally prepared. Don't worry too much about who you go with, just make sure you get your moneys worth and be sure you feel 100% confident before you take any exams, train hard and just make sure you know your stuff as well as your trainer and you will be fine. Good luck and keep us informed how you get on! smile

#5 20-05-04 10:01:38

Accord

Thanks for those replys, they all raise very interesting points.  I have emailed LDC to arrange an interview as i checked out their website and found it very encouraging and their course is quite a bit cheaper than BSM.  I also received my pack with the part one questions yesterday and spent quite a few hours on it last night.  I think i'm getting the ADI bug. If i take up LDC's offer and go with them in a franchise deal (if i qualify) is the cost of using one of their vehicles reasonable as i couldnt find it on their site?

thanks.

#6 20-05-04 20:18:53

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Yes the cost of a lease car is not to bad this year I have had a corsa 1.0 elegance but I am now buying my own car a corsa 1.3 cdti thru LDC and getting 25% discount on the list price which worked out at nearly £30000 off

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 20-05-04 21:56:17

Matt

worked out at nearly £30000 off

You'd have to give me £30,000 to drive a corsa too  tongue  Only kidding!!!  big_smile

Matt

#8 20-05-04 23:05:32

Badger

ADI training is down to the individual trainer.

I trained with BSM and my trainer was the best. He has now moved to TIC and I contact him every so often for Check Test refreshers etc.  and as far as I am concerned he is neither BSM nor TIC, he is an individual

Wherever you go you should shop around and dont pay up front.

Do what Learners do and ask for recommendations to individual tutors.  You may have to put up with whatever conditions are imposed by the organisation that he works with

BSM is the largest training organisation and probably has the best back up from its central office.  But the quality of the eventual delivery of the product that you will receive will depend entirely upon the local office and the individual instructor.

£2500 represents over 100 hours of training at £22 per hour.  In your interview you should ask how many of those hours you are actually getting.

Badger

#9 25-05-04 22:56:30

AliceM

Hi
Your worries about who to train with are serious issues and you should consider carefully who you might like to end up with when you have qualified.  If you'd like to keep your options open you might like to look at an idependent company like the Instructor College - or perhaps you like the idea of the almost guarantee of a trainee license with BSM/ LDC.  Check out their franchise fees though.

The main concern I have is with your comment about passing quickly.  I know what it's like to start training as an ADI having been made redundant.  That's exactly when /why I started.  You need to keep on top of your trainers about booking the next test (part 1 / part2) as soon as possible each time, delays vary but you can wait 3 months for a test date so YOU book them, don't leave it to your trainer.  You may want to consider doing some part time work while training.  It took me 15 months start to finish (1st time parts 1 & 2 2nd times part 3) and I had thought I might get through in 3 - 4 months!  Basically the point is that it takes longer (and more work) than you may think at this stage.

Good luck  smile

Board footer