You are not logged in.

#1 19-05-04 11:45:17

Tonibee

Advice Please

Hi Folks,

My first post.  I've been thinking about becoming a driving instructor.  I'm already self-employed as freelance trainer in social security law, and I also do some other stuff - a bit of writing, mystery shopping and so on.  Problem is I don't make enough money.

I don't need any help with the practicalities as there's loads of stuff around - and I've read lots of posts on these boards.  I would like to know two things though...

1.  Assuming I did part 1 myself and went to a training centre for parts 2 & 3, and I passed 2nd time around for each, what would be the likely cost of training?

2.  What do you get from being an instructor?  Some people on the boards ore obviously really happy.  I love training people - albeit in a training room and not a car - and I know I have the IQ and patience to succeed.  However, I worry about spending 8 hours  a day in a car.  Does the work become repetivite and boring?  How do you keep fit?

Thanks for any and all views.  I know question 2 might seem negative, but I have to know before I'll like it before I commit.

Tony

19-05-04 11:45:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice Please

#2 19-05-04 14:43:47

Midge
Website

Once you're qualified, you will probably need to watch your weight, because in this job, as in any where you are more or less tied to a seat most of the day, the pounds will pile on. Some people are lucky, but most have to be careful.
Boring, NEVER.  Each pupil is different, each lesson with that pupil  is different , each day is different.  I've taught in a classroom, but this is  much better.
How much you will earn will vary, depending on the area you live sometimes.   I prefer to keep my price fairly high,  do fewer lessons ,  have time to prepare, and not have to rush between lessons.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-05-04 14:56:44

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Doing the part 1 solo is likely to only save upto a couple of hundred pounds. With a full course costing upto nearly £3,000 (by some companies) you will do well to keep the cost below a £1000.

Shop araound, Get an ORDIT registered trainer and try them out before you commit to spending lot's of your dosh.

On the other points - Boring -Never, Never, Never!!!  We keep fit by walking to the car each morning.

Regards,

#4 19-05-04 21:48:11

Michaela7
Website

Hi Tony,

As others have said this job is most definitely anything but booring. No two pupils or lessons are the same. Even teaching the same subject matter to one pupil is totally different with another. I've done all sorts of teaching and training before but nohting is quite like this.

Personally I get great job satisfaction. It's especially rewarding when you've taken a pupil from the beginning who has no idea how to even move a car and then they pass their test and a whole new world of freedom is opened up to them. Seeing a pupil when they have passed their test is a wonderful feeling. You build up a great raport with them and you want them to do well just as much as they do. The day I stop feeling like this is the day I give up teaching, (which is never I hope, or not at least until I want to retire! sad )

Sorry to go on but you did ask what we got from it :!:  big_smile

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

Board footer