You are not logged in.

#1 16-05-04 23:05:34

Masteralios

clutch control is very bad

HI

well i've had about 15 hours of lessons and my driving ain't to bad (no accidents yet)

A little problem i have is clucth control. whenever i change from gear 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 i put the clutch down and go into the gear. but the problem arises when im lifting the clutch up. i try to do it slowly but my silly foot shakes and gets tired and i end up lifting it up a little quickly and then the car kinda jerks backwards

any tips cos the instructor ain't helping much

all he saying is (bring it up slower)

thanks for ur help guyz

16-05-04 23:05:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: clutch control is very bad

#2 16-05-04 23:32:55

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

rather than trying to bring it up slower, try bringing it up smoother, i find that using a "see saw" approach to the feet sometimes works.  When one foot is going up then the other foot goes down.  If it is a speed thing then try counting in your head how long you take to bring the clutch up, to get used to it try counting to three for first gear, to two for second gear etc.  It could also be that you're mistiming the gear change and therefore making the car lurch when changing gear.  Ask your instructor to watch your feet when changing gear (he should be anyway) and see if the speed of the clutch is ok or if it is how your bringing it up, as i said try for a smooth action.

#3 17-05-04 06:59:15

Liesa

Hi Masteralios and welcome to the site!

Good advise from foilerist, maybe you could get you instructor to demnostrate, exactly how you should be bringing the clutch up?

Bringing the clutch up doesn't have to be slow, just a smooth consistant movement, try bringing the clutch up at the same rate, all the way untill you've released the pedal completely. Normally this problem occurs when, the clutch get's to a certain point and then the driver just lets go of it, this can be cured by not rushing the gear change. It sometimes helps, to practise the clutch movement whilst sat at the side of the road in neutral.

Let us know how you get on, on your next lesson. If you have any other questions just ask wink

#4 17-05-04 07:54:45

Midge
Website

Two things may help,  try  finding "bite point" when changing to second as well as first, that's probably the point at which you jerk the clutch.  You have probably found out by now that you can actually bring the clutch  quite quickly up to bite point in first gear as long as you are careful from bite point until your foot is of the clutch.  Do the same when you've selected second,  not quite as slow.   The lower the gear, the slower you come of the clutch.   Another way might be to hesitate for a second  just before the foot is completely off the clutch.   Your left foot shaking is a common problem,  so don't worry too much about it,  and it will cure itself  soon.  The more you tense up the longer it will take.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#5 17-05-04 20:07:00

Masteralios

thanks for the help guys

i'll tell you how i get on in my next lesson which is one friday

#6 18-05-04 06:40:23

DAVE-ADI

The car can also  be 'jumpy' when bringing the clutch up if the gearchange is left too long.     You should change into 2nd very soon after moving off before the engine revs get too high, and before it statrts to scream.

#7 18-05-04 10:25:36

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

A good general rule of thumb is to change gear every ten miles an hour or so.  In first up to 10 then change to second, stay in second up to 20 then change to third etc.

Board footer