You are not logged in.

#1 31-03-04 17:59:07

learner1

Lesson price for test?

Hi,

I've just managed to book some lessons with an Instructor prior to taking my test in two weeks time. I've been driving my Dad's car up till now. My Instructor says that on the day of my test it will cost me £55 for the lesson before the test and to use his car while I am on my test. Do you think this is too much? I am thinking I might need to find another Instructor. I was very surprised as my friend told me she only had to pay her Instructor for the lesson she had which cost £20.

Please help as I don't won't to be paying out lots of money. It's costing me enough to have lessons.

Thanks

Learner1

31-03-04 17:59:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lesson price for test?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 31-03-04 19:31:54

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Driving schools differ in how they charge for tests. It sounds like the instructor is quoting a hire charge for the use of his car, which is fair enough if he hasn't been teaching you upto test standard. Personally i charge for two hours worth of lessons on the day of the test. You may be able to find an instructor who charges lesson time rather than 'hire' time. The problem is that most instructors wont provide their car for test if they have not seen your driving beforehand. When you go for test you are representing the good name and reputation of the instructor so most will only allow you to go for test in their vehicle if they have had some input into your learning. So in answer to your question, if the instructor is allowing you to use his car for test and he hasn't taught you, it sounds a reasonable deal to me. Best of luck for the big day! 8)

#3 31-03-04 20:06:28

ivorbro

£55 sounds a good deal to me.

#4 31-03-04 21:13:56

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

You will have paid £39 to the DSA which is their Examiner and Admin fee for the Driving Test.

If you take the test in your own car (without using an instructor) than that is all you pay.

If you wish to use a driving school car then you also pay for the lesson before your test, use of the car during the test and getting home afterwards ?

The amount you have been quoted is reasonable.

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#5 31-03-04 23:47:00

jonks

If you have paid the DSA for your test and your instructor is charging you £55  for an hour before hand and your test, then it sounds to me like he is charging you £27.50 per hour, which is not very competetive.

I know a few instructors will dissagree with me for this but I think you could get a better price.

Pick up the yellow pages and make a few phone calls.

#6 01-04-04 12:07:46

learner1

Thanks for all your advice this is a great site. I am still a bit confused though. Some of you are saying the price I have been quoted is ok and others say I could do better.

I've just had a lesson and I asked my Instructor about the cost. He says as I live a long way from the test centre he is going to pick me up an hour and half before my test. He thinks there will be a lot of traffic. I still don't know if he is charging too much though because if he charged me for 2 lessons it would not cost £55 it would only be £42.

I appreciate all your help I geuss I will just have to phone another driving school to ask what they would charge and then make a decision. Thanks again. smile

#7 01-04-04 12:51:25

jonks

If he is picking you up an hour an a half before the lesson then the price is about right.

My previous post, I was going on an hour before hand and an hour for the test.

So yes, it is an OK price, and if you get on well with the car you are learning in, you would do well to stick with it and not change to another instructor who's car you may not get on with so well.

My advise would be to pay the £55 and do the test with your existing instructor.

#8 01-04-04 13:15:04

Liesa

Hi Learner1

The price your being charged sounds pretty fair to me. I always try to arrange for learners to take their test at, the closest test centre to where they live. That way a 2 hour time slot is uaually sufficient, but ocasionally if they do live a fair way from the test centre, then I would charge for an appropriate length of time. Your not only paying for the use of the car, but also your instructors time, while your on your test, he wouldn't be able to give anyone else a lesson!

I hope this helps to clear it up for you!

#9 01-04-04 18:39:54

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Learner1,

A mixed bag of responses maybe, but overall I think £55 for 1.5 hours plus the test time is OK.

What I would say is that you should have been told of the extra charges for the test day, either when you started lessons or at least when you booked your test.

Don't change instructors just because of this! :!:  it would cost you a lot more to start with different instructor and perhaps a different car. But if your not happy with the way you have been treated then don't recommend him/her to your friends.

Good luck with the test and do let us know how you got on.

Regards,

#10 04-04-04 17:08:49

Force
Verified Member

It is normal to be charged 2 hours at normal cost, but this can vary.
At £55 for 2 and a half hours it seems you are being charged fair.

Must say though I am suprised that with 2 weeks to test you managed to get a schoolcar at any cost.

I have never taken anyone unless the decision to take test was mine. I dont know of any instructor that would allow it either.

Were you given a lesson before decision to allow use for car granted? So as to asses if you are in fact at test standard.

I think you would find it nearly impossible to get another car for test at short notice from a reputable instructor.
After all £55 is not a lot for putting your reputation and Livlihood vehicle on the line for what after all is really an unknown entity.

I wouldnt do it. At any cost.

#11 04-04-04 20:18:36

DAVE-ADI

You are attempting to get a licence which will last you for life.

For £55 you are getting an hour's practice and use of a fully insured, well maintained car.   You need to remember that the instructor has got to be paid for his time as well as the car hire.  You wouldn't work for nothing, I presume!

Bear in mind that if you go for test in your own car,  your  normal car insurance does not cover a driving test because you are driving unsupervised.  So you need to inform your insurers, who may make a charge.

If you think £55 is too much, phone around.    But that seems reasonable to me.

#12 14-05-04 23:08:21

Darren

i thought i would restart this post lol

BSM have told me that it would cost the price of 1 lesson for the use of the schoolcar. approx £18 + DSA £38 test money which i thought was very good. Shop around.

#13 15-05-04 06:52:55

Liesa

Hi Mclaren

What do you have to do to get £18 + test fee for the day of your test?

I think if you went to them at short notice like learner1 did, you'd have to pay their full price, which in some areas is around £25 per hour, for the use of the car and you'd also have to pay the test fee on top!

Just to clarify the DSA test fee is £39 during normal working hours i.e 8.40 - 3.27 tests, and any time outside of this it's £48.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 15-05-04 09:36:11

Darren

Liesa wrote:

What do you have to do to get £18 + test fee for the day of your test?

I started my lessons with BSM, so mabee thats why.

#15 17-05-04 10:05:32

keslo66

hiya. £55 is about average for the lesson before the test, using the instructors car. bear in mind that the instructor wont be able to give any other lessons while your on your test so your also paying for the lesson that he would loose with another student. my instructor has told me it would cost £43, so if your not happy seek another instructor. also bear in mind that you could use your own car for the exam, which is what im considering because im more used to my own car. but if you decide to do that then your dad will have to check with his insurance that there wont be an extra fee for the test because sometimes the insurance doesnt cover the test and the insurance company may charge. check out this avenue and compare the prices. good luck for the test.
steph xx

Board footer