You are not logged in.

#1 13-05-04 18:14:30

Leanne

What gear approaching roundabouts

Feeling a little confused maybe somebody can help. Had my first lesson last week and as i have had some driving experience in partners car was driving myself for most of the two hours. I had to do lots of roundabouts and not sure which gear i should be in approaching a roundabout. I thought it was second gear but ADI said not always the case. HELP!!!

13-05-04 18:14:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What gear approaching roundabouts

#2 13-05-04 18:50:44

Bob_FOADS

The only definitive answer to your question is 'the aproprate gear'
Not much help I know but I'll try and explaine...

As you aproch a roundabout (or any situation really) you need to slow down and asses the situation.

Is the roundabout small and requres lots of steering?
is it big and open?
Is it busy or clear?
can you see that it's busy / clear nice and early or do you need to be quite close to it before you know for sure?

A very open roundabout with clear visibility and little traffic might well be able to be done in 4th gear.

A tight roundabout with little vision and heavy traffic may require a slow first gear manover and / or stopping.

All in all, slow down till you know the situation then select the gear for the speed you are doing. To start with you may well find yourself using 2nd most of the time but as you gain experiance you'll find yourself using more approprate gears (2nd can be very versitile even when it's not really appropriate)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 13-05-04 19:10:55

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Good answer Bob - Not a lot I need to add to that - So I won't!

Good luck with the roundabouts, but don't forget to smile when you leave them.

Regards,

#4 13-05-04 19:17:04

Leanne

Thanks Bob, thats great. Your explanation was very clear and i suppose the more experience i get the more i will realise that each situation is different.  big_smile

#5 13-05-04 19:19:29

Leanne

Cheers Big Red. Only when leaving roundabouts never before. Before  :cry:  and after  big_smile

#6 13-05-04 19:34:13

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I've always taught my pupils to smile when leaving roundabouts with the phrase "Mirrors, Signal, Smile" but if when they check their mirrors there's something there that shouldn't be there they mustn't smile!

I now have hundreds of smiley people driving around Folkestone.

Regards,

Board footer