You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-05-04 06:10:33

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

SEAT Ibiza

:shock:  :shock:  big_smile  big_smile

I was just wandering if any of you out there had a seat ibiza?
I have taken one for a test drive and got a good finance package, i also think they are a nice car, and found it easy to drive and very user friendly!
The car i had in mind was a 1.2 S or SX, 3 door, probably in ovni yellow, or red!

All i want to know is how reliable they are, and whether learners find them easy to drive?

Either that or its a renault clio or another corsa!

Robbie
:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  8)  8)  8)  :?  :?  :?  :?

07-05-04 06:10:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: SEAT Ibiza

#2 07-05-04 21:43:59

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Robbie

Ran a Seat Ibiza 1.4clx for 4 years (non instructional) and found it to be one of the nicest little cars we have ever owned smile , would have bought one last September as an instructional car but no diesels were available so bought it's stablemate, the Skoda Fabia SDi which has exceeded all expectations big_smile .

Only problems in 4 years was the radio which packed up twice.

Can strongly recommend either of the above.

Corsa, ran one as a school car for 1 year (01 Y GLS 1.7Di)
It led to great depression :cry: , It was in the repair shop costing me a fortune in lessons lost on numerous occasions during the year :evil: .

All the usual faults,  Handbrake, Gear linkage, Power Steering, Suspension.   All fixed under warranty The words Bargepole, feet and forty spring to mind :?

Never owned a Clio.

Best of luck in your deliberations, it aint easy!

Cheers

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#3 08-05-04 05:30:44

Ozzie

Hi,

I owned a Renault 5, a predecessor to the Clio, and that was a nightmare, and the best thing I did to that was right it off, it constantly went wrong, and cost a fortune to fix.

The Ibiza impressed me too, and I nearly bought one, the only reason I didn't was that the dealer was 30 miles away, and it was a fair way to go if there was a problem, also no other instructors locally had one, so if I had a problem on test day it was hard to get cover for the test.

I'm one of the milions that runs a Corsa, yes you get a few problems, but this is the 7th Corsa, they are excellent value for money, the warranty sorts out most problems which are mainly minor annoyances. Although I have convinced myself to have a look at the Japs next time, maybe a Civic!

Ozzie

#4 09-05-04 22:15:03

Matt

i actually learnt to drive in a seat ibiza!! Was a couple of models ago (was about a 1995 car i think) and I had absolutly no complaints about it and that was pretty much a pre VW influence seat too so i can only see them as getting better from then!! I liked the fact it was bigger than say a micra/corsa/fiesta as I was gong to drive my dads hyundai once passed my test. The one i used was a 1.4 petrol and had enuff poke to it. I think to get the best out of an ibiza you made need more than a 1.2, personally I've heard good things about the diesels seat are currently doing and I think the ibiza range has a 1.4TD which i reckon would be ideal for learning to drive in. Mind youi'm not an ADI (yet!) but I am a car enthusiast.

Matt

#5 10-05-04 06:31:05

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

thanks matt for a point of view from an Ex learner!
That is probably better than from instructor, as its learners that need to be able to drive the car not me!!!

#6 10-05-04 09:14:15

Matt

Yeah I can totally recommend the SEAT, my mate has a "53" reg SEAT Leon 1.4, seems very well built and layout is good. Personally I think it's an advantage to learn a slightly bigger car, gives a better idea when using larger vehicles on the road. And a SEAT is much cooler than a corsa and cheaper than the same spec VW but just as well made  big_smile

Matt

#7 10-05-04 22:48:10

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

I wouldn't advise you to get a clio unless the garage is very reliable.  I've owned one for two years and it has been nothing but trouble from day one.  the only good things are that the fuel economy is very good (i have the diesel) and the pupils seem to like it.  a friend of mine had a seat ibiza turbo diesel years ago and his economy was great, it was a comfy car to be a passenger in and went like stink, he would still have it but he neglected to ever service the car over the ten years he had it.

#8 11-05-04 05:13:04

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

At the moment i'm leasing a Corsa from ADI car rentals. yesterday the starter went right at the end of a lesson (10mths old & 16700 miles!  03 plate!)
While i was talking to the guy from ADI about getting me a replacement we got onto the subject of me buying an Ibiza, and he said good job you told me first, as they are rubbish!
Apparently they used to hirs them out to instructors, and they had loads of problems so stopped using them.
Now personally i think they are nice looking cars and lots of room inside, and easy to drive....
He also went onto say that resale value in 3 years would not be as good as corsa of similar spec, because of it being a cheaper car, although it would cost more to buy now!
The only thing that swings me away is that us LDC instructors get 20-25% off a new Corsa if we buy through them, which means a good saving on the road of  about £2500.
which is a damn good saving which Seat garage cannot match!

#9 14-05-04 05:58:51

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Well i would just like to say thanks to who all helped me decide!

Yesterday i went and ordered a 1.2 SX 3 door Ibiza, in extreme blue.
£8350 OTR, (including mats, height adj. seats, and duals)

They also told me if i knew anyone else interested, they would do the same deal for other instructors!

Just hope i did the right thing!!!   I think i have as the Ibiza seemed a more solid and comfortable car to the corsa, with better seating position and good all round visibility

#10 14-05-04 11:47:41

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Having owned both the Corsa and Ibiza I know you will be very happy, though my preference would be diesel.

Will be looking at Ibiza and Fabia in September, so keep us advised on how the Ibiza fares.

Cheers

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#11 14-05-04 13:34:16

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I once hired a car and got a seat, It was a all round good car nothing special but then nothing wrong with it either, Quite nice to drive etc...

#12 15-05-04 06:30:56

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I would have preferred diesel too, but my budget wouldn't stretch to the diesel!
If i had gone for corsa i could have afforded a diesel, (£8,800), but the Ibiza diesel was still going to be over £10,000, and i only got a loan for £9,000

Still never mind its still going to be ok for 3 years or so, until i buy a new one then i will keep this one as my family car and get rid of my (now) 11 year old cavalier!!!

#13 15-07-04 22:01:55

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

I've bought myself a Seat Ibiza diesel. Hope I've done the right thing. It isn't new but is in good condition. I will be giving my Corsa back when my franchise agreement finishes at the end of July.

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#14 16-07-04 05:08:08

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Hi John,
I think you should be very happy with your purchase!
I have had 3 weeks with it now, 1 test and 1 pass in it.
My pupils all like it better than corsa, and its much more refined!
i'm even considering selling my Cavalier, and buying a used one for family use, as there is sufficient space to get the 2 seats in back and loads of boot space, compared to Corsa!

LOVELY!!!!!!

#15 21-07-04 07:04:03

MichaelLee
Verified Member

I had one
2 clutches in 14014 miles
never have one again
got a corsa now, fine no problems.....so far

Board footer