You are not logged in.

#1 21-04-04 10:53:44

TimApps

ADI Training in the Portsmouth Fareham area

I need some anecdotal advice.
I'm looking at signing up for ADI training with one of two companies: First Class Driving in Fareham or BSM in Portsmouth.
Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to perhaps help me toward a decision? perhaps based on their own experiences?
It's a lot of money so I'm collecting all the info I can in the hope of making a good decision.
Thanks.

21-04-04 10:53:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI Training in the Portsmouth Fareham area

#2 09-05-04 14:57:41

Morb

Hi, I'm new to these boards (brilliant idea by the way). I live and work in the Portsmouth area and I trained to be an A.D.I. there. I can't say I've heard of First Class but it may be they are new. B.S.M. seems to do a good job of training instructors but can be very expensive to work for.

Some advice that I learned through bitter experience.

1. Never sign a contract until you have shown it to a solicitor. I learned this the hard way. The contract had a sixteen week notice period and a large number of penalty clauses. When I tried to leave the school (due to lack of work) I was presented with a bill for thousands of pounds that I apparently owed them. I had to get a solicitor to prepare a counter claim due to lost earnings and false advertising. Luckily in the end it was all sorted out but it was months of stress that I could have done without. I won't mention the school but it isn't either of the ones you looked at.

2. Talk to instructors in the area. Most Portsmouth guys are very friendly and happy to offer advice - It's stopping them talking that's the trick wink Take a trip up to the test centre and talk to the guys whose pupils are on test. Also don't be afraid to talk to the examiners, the ones at Portsmouth have always been helpful to me.

3. Don't pay money up front unless you rally have to. If you don't get on with your trainer give yourself the opportunity to change.

If you there is anything else you'd like help with please let me know.

Morb

A.D.I. Portsmouth

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-05-04 18:12:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

This 16 week contract that you mention sounds familiar! Not a company from Littlehampton is it?

I've successfully advised a few instructors on how to get out of this mess.

To summarise a long story when instructors sign the contract they are also given some 'promotional' materials which state all pupils will be handed out on a pro-rata basis. If when an ADI hands in their notice the company stops giving them pupils they are in breach of thir own contract as these publicity materials form part of the contract.

Additionally the company claims that the pupils belong to them. In that case they will have to answer to the VAT man who has kindly allowed franchised schools not to have to pay VAT on lessons because the pupils belong to the ADI. We only pay VAT on franchise fees.

These instructors have been able to walk away without the Company taking any further action.

Don't sign with these nasty nasty people! As morb says

Never sign a contract until you have shown it to a solicitor.

Oh, Just realised that's not the main point of this thread. But on that basis check out the contracts of BSM and 1st class carefully. It may help you decide.

Regards,

Regards

#4 10-05-04 17:16:22

Morb

The school I had problems with had their head office in Fareham but what you describe sounds very familiar. I was told that the pupils belonged to the driving school and could not be taught for a period of twelve weeks after you left the school or you faced a lot of penalty clauses. My solicitor told me that there was no way this would hold up in court as you cannot dictate to a member of the public who they learnt to drive with.

I was rushed into signing the contract by the school owner who printed it out and told me it was just a formality. Don't let them put pressure on you. If they need you to sign it right away you REALLY want to get it checked out just in case.

Regards Morb

Board footer