You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-02-04 15:38:50

jonks

Driving Instructors Democratic Union

I'm not sure how interested in this you guys will be but I have come accross a website for the driving instructors democratic union.

http://www.didu.org.uk/

Might be worth a read. I would be interested in you opinions of this union.

29-02-04 15:38:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving Instructors Democratic Union

#2 29-02-04 23:29:59

skier

Seems like a grandly named organisation suitable for the cantankerous bunch of misfits trying to run it.
What do Self Employed Professionals actually want a Union for? Surely we are above the flat cap mentality. Well WE are, it's for that other bunch.

Cheers, Skier.

#3 29-02-04 23:37:42

jonks

I might say here that the opinions of our members are not necessarily the opinions of the UK driving schools forum.

big_smile

#4 01-03-04 09:12:53

DAVE-ADI

It's that sort of attitude which has got the ADI profession into the mess it finds itself now in.

Fortunately,  a rapidly growing number of ADIs are realising just how serious a threat their livelihoods are in because the other organisations who supposedly respresent us have been looking after themselves.

They have passed their sell-by date, and it's time for a new approach.

For information,  the group of 'cantankerous bunch of misfits'  consist of 6 working professional ADIs who care passionately enough about the profession to want to improve conditions for everyone. (even those who disagree) by giving their free time,  and using their own expenses, to form an organisation which is run by, and therefore truly represents, the feelings and wishes of members.

The chairman is an ex DSA examiner trainer, now ADI,  who is very well respected by the top brass at DSA.   

The union intends to persuade the DSA to drop it's plans to introduce it's draconion retesting regime, and to instead introduce proper and structured  development training, which will benefit everyone.

In the two months since the union was formed, it has  already had a meeting with the TUC,  and has a meeting soon with the T&GWU, in addition to  being invited to present a case for ADIs to the Chairperson of the Transport Select Committe, Gwyneth Dunwoody,  and a planned meeting with DSA top brass.

There are no flat caps,  or talk of strikes in our union, and anyone who thinks like that probably won't benefit from membership of this union.  From what we are seeing,  its a very tiny minority anyway.

£15  for union membership is less than the price of a lesson.   Spend that now and secure a better future.

#5 01-03-04 09:44:16

Badger

Well said Dave ADI,  the voice of reason and tolerance is going to get us a lot further along the road to being respected and treated as a true profession.

The unselfish and dedicated attitude of the small group of people who have committed hours of hard work and personal expense to getting this essential representative body up and running is much appreciated.

Badger

#6 02-03-04 23:13:16

Midge
Website

I wonder what made Skier think that the union was run by a "cantankerous bunch of misfits",  does he know any of them.
I joined the union anyway, the first time in my life I have belonged to one, but needs must

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#7 02-03-04 23:21:58

jonks

I think if there are ADI's that think there is need for a union, then there is need for a union.

But you must remember that everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

I would like to thank the Union for adding The UK driving schools forum to thier links page.

I know that a couple of union members use this site and if they would like to post a little information about the union, please feel free. Please however just post information and not a sales pitch.  smile

#8 03-03-04 00:14:37

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

Well i've never belonged to any sort of union and didn't think i would need one, but  the cheque is in the post  because i think it is time to stand up and not be pushed about like we have been for years by the Double Standards Agency. Some may say "We dont need it " but who will be the first to cry if jobs and livelyhoods are lost. I for one am proud of what i do and know i dont need the threat of losing the job i love just to fill the pockets of the D.S.A. After all that is what will happen if we all end up paying £50 for a £10 Theory test ( which is what it cost's the D.S.A ). To play a video game with a very dodgy score system.

#9 03-03-04 07:58:12

DAVE-ADI

But you must remember that everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

Fully agree with you there Jonks.  But it would be better if posters kept the personal insults off this forum.   There's enough of that going on at other sites.

#10 04-03-04 21:36:10

jonks

Thats very true! I would hate this forum to become like that.

This is a strictly friendly forum!  big_smile

#11 07-03-04 17:28:00

Force
Verified Member

Firstly Hi,
joined today and first post.
What are people like Skier afraid of?
If You dont like it dont join. Thats your choice.
But hurling unfounded insults for no reason at people who are giving time and money to help, is out of order.

#12 07-03-04 17:42:05

jonks

Welcome to the site force.

Please put a quick message in the "say hello" forum.  smile

#13 07-03-04 22:26:08

churchy

So how is this going to affect a newbie like me?  I am just about to start training and need to know what to expect when I finally qualify.  :?:

Board footer