You are not logged in.

#1 11-09-17 10:49:57

Wanderer

"Car Dooring" training and test

There have been eight deaths, three car users and five cyclists, and three thousand one hundred and eight reported injuries between 2011-15 caused by drivers and passengers opening vehicle doors without reasonable observations.
Cycling groups now want to mount a campaign to make car users more aware of the dangers of opening car doors without appropriate checks that can cause injury and death to others.
Apart from heavier penalties for the person who injures others, currently the maximum fine is £1000, even if someone is killed, they would like better training on opening car doors and incorporated into the driving test.
They would like a technique taught that's called "Dutch Reach", this is simply, after having a good look round, opening the door latch with the hand that's furthest away from the door, left hand for offside doors, right hand for nearside door. This method only allows the door to open a few inches allowing the person opening the door to look through the gap to make sure its clear before they open the door fully.
Apparently it is called "Dutch Reach" because this method is part of the Dutch driving test.
Even though I stress to my pupils the dangers of opening car doors and ensure the do make good all round observations I do not teach them the "Dutch Reach", simply because I did not know of it. Yet on reflection I use this method myself in many situations, mostly on narrow roads or very windy days were the door can be wrenched from your hand causing damage to yours and others vehicles.
I feel now I have been made aware of this method of opening car doors I will use it for sure on lessons, anything to make our roads safer.

11-09-17 10:49:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: "Car Dooring" training and test

#2 11-09-17 12:58:12

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
It isn't just part of the Dutch driving test, it is taught to Dutch children from a young age as bTHE way to  open car doors when getting out of the car on whichever side they are using.

#3 11-09-17 17:48:51

Triplea35
Verified Member

Picked up this method when training to be an ADI. Can't remember if my training school taught this but also used Blaine Walsh drivinginstructor.tv site and he certainly did. Just watched his video to confirm.

#4 12-09-17 06:35:30

reddragonbus
Verified Member

That has been part of my lesson plan for first lesson since I started teaching. Is it not covered by Part 3 PST 1 controls?

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 13-09-17 10:28:49

kaf
Verified Member
Website

The technique on its own will actually achieve nothing.

What matters is that car occupants think to check first.

Students 'look' in the mirrors, but if you ask them what they saw, often they can't tell you.

Just having an automatic action is no substitute for thinking.

#6 13-09-17 20:12:05

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Admittedly technique on it's own is not sufficient, but, using the opposite hand does force the head round to the blind spot check position and also prevents the door going to far out on the initial unlatch.

#7 13-09-17 23:25:38

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Good posts above.

When I was giving truck lessons my boss (ex-army Major in logistics group) was very "hot" on closing doors by initially pulling it in with the right arm, then using the left arm across the chest for the final closing stage (a few inches); it prevented doors slamming and wrecking the rubber seals over time*.
He was also hot on his road-train drivers using two fingertips and the thumb tip to move the gear lever (if they closed their fingers around it they were put on a charge) - and *** help them if they were caught getting out of the cab by jumping forwards, they had to climb down backwards "with at least 3 points of contact (hands & feet) with the cab" - I loved working for him.

I found door-slamming is a hard habit to break - most students still slam it after the lesson even after I've just said "see you next time and please don't slam the door" (I look around nervously to see if the Police Response group are on their way to investigate the loud bang).
Years ago in Alice Springs I taught a young 16-years old girl from a desert tribe, she had the matchstick-thin arms & legs those youngsters typically have.
She had trouble pushing the gear lever against the spring loading but when she got out she could slam the door so violently the car car shook.
Probably used to slamming the doors of old Land Cruiser 4WDs in the desert camps.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer