You are not logged in.

#1 02-04-17 07:15:38

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Leg Shake

I have a pupil who suffers from SEVERE leg shake (clutch only).  Obviousy I've encountered this before and normally associate it with nerves but this seems ridiculously bad and it doesn't get better through the lesson.  Does anyone know whether there are any causes other than nerves or have any suggestions about how to reduce or resolve it?  I am somewhat flummoxed (and no, that's not my real name  big_smile )

02-04-17 07:15:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Leg Shake

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-04-17 12:17:10

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi Somewhat Flummoxed Lady-Hynarc, is the heel of the pupil's foot resting on the floor (although it doesn't work if they have petite feet)?
I have only had 1 case I remember with bad leg shake, and the the foot trembled even when it was resting - from memory I think he eventually went to automatic.
If it's only the clutch not accelerator or brake, it is probably due to nervous tension ("I hate the clutch!") which would make it very hard to fix.
I wish I could help but I can't think of anything - I'm interested to read what others post on here.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 02-04-17 16:00:35

Triplea35
Verified Member

It can be physical  rather than nerves alone.I had a young lad, very confident driver but had really bad left leg shake. He had been involved in a very nasty road accident a few years before and stated it was a result of nerve damage. It was a little disconcerting to watch but he managed to deal with it and ended up quite smooth on the clutch. Keeping heel on the floor did help.

#4 02-04-17 17:35:35

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Weak ankle and calf muscles can also play a part.
Amazingly some people are incredibly weak!

Does she find the clutch an effort to slowly push and to hold halfway down/up.
Ask her to try it both ways, it does make a difference.

If so, she could do a few heels raises over the edge of her stairs to build up muscle control.
Ball,of foot on step, raise up onto toes, down third of way hold for 5 seconds, down another third, hold 5 secs. Fully down. Up third hold five secs, up another third hold for five, up onto toes again.
Repeat five times.
Do this twice a day for a week, she will gain strength and muscle control in her lower calf.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 02-04-17 19:32:07

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

kaf wrote:

If so, she could do a few heels raises over the edge of her stairs to build up muscle control.
Ball,of foot on step, raise up onto toes, down third of way hold for 5 seconds, down another third, hold 5 secs. Fully down. Up third hold five secs, up another third hold for five, up onto toes again.
Repeat five times.
Do this twice a day for a week, she will gain strength and muscle control in her lower calf.

It's a he!  yikes

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 03-04-17 07:11:17

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Lady-Hynarc wrote:
kaf wrote:

Repeat five times.

It's a he!  yikes

Same answer  big_smile

Last edited by kaf (03-04-17 07:11:32)

#7 27-07-17 08:44:47

Wanderer

I have had a few pupils over the years who's leg has shaken uncontrollably and I have put it mostly down to nervous tension as after a few lessons the problem disappears.
However I do agree it could be down to weak ankles and leg muscles, I've lost count how many young lads and lassies have getting out the car at end of their first few lessons and commented on how sore their lower legs and ankles are.
Petite feet could also be the problem, its best to have heel on the floor when using clutch control, a pivot point for the foot on the clutch pedal.
Lots of people come for their first lesson in very flat footwear, which can be good and is for most people, so sometime I recommend the pupils wear footwear with heels, not too crazy high just a couple of inches. This can give the purchase required to keep foot steady on the clutch pedal.

#8 27-07-17 16:16:08

Pjc

There is an instructor near me that has cut and shaped a piece of thick plywood onto which he has glued a piece of carpet which he uses to raise the height of the floor for people with small feet. I was quite impressed by the solution.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the messing around and I require my clients to struggle and they have always overcome the difficulty in the end.

Board footer