You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-03-17 20:28:20

Match2learn
Website

The most hated topic to date

Hi Guys,

Initially i had no intention of making an account on here or to post anything on this or any other Driving Instructor forum.

I regularly read posts from ADI's on forums,blogs, social media and their own websites. Reason being is that a year ago one of my close friends (who is a psychologist by trade) approached me asking what problems I faced when searching for an instructor a few years ago. I told him mine and we then did a short survey in the office we worked in at the time and came a conclusion. We then reached out to a senior developer to help us solve these minor problems.

We were very student orientated at first but over time naturally also focused on delivering a solution to instructors to assist where we could. The problems I mentioned earlier is that I had to rely on word of mouth or approach a driving school who doesn't give much information on their instructors online or I would have to go to the various instructors websites just to find one that i was willing to spend £1000+ on . I've grown up in the age of technology so finding things online is the norm for me. Safety was also a concern when doing our survey.

Our platform is now finished but i'm not going to dwell on that too much so as to not break any forum rules or to annoy instructors as I've seen the backlash other people have got from their 'instructor listings' plans.

My question is - Why are Instructors against having themselves listed on these sites? Is it because they are not well known? Or is it because Instructors are afraid of people being 'in it to make a quick buck'? If sites like yell/yelp and other business listings work well for businesses why is it met with such a negative light when someone wants to create a listing for a particular market? Or...is it plainly because Instructors just gain enough business through traditional methods? (despite the dawn of the internet)

Any positive comments would be appreciated so we can adapt and learn (but feel free to tell me to do one if I've annoyed you with yet ANOTHER post on this topic)

15-03-17 20:28:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The most hated topic to date

#2 16-03-17 18:42:49

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Hi, I nearly stopped reading when I realised that you were promoting a(nother) driving instructor website. wink However, I did get to the end and will now explain why I believe most instructors are not interested.  In terms of young people probably 90% of them come to us by recommendation.  Therefore you are competing for about 10% of our business before even starting.  If I start 100 pupils a year (which I don't) only 10 of those are not from recommendations - does that justify signing up?  Probably not.  For some age groups recommendation may not be so much a business driver but those potential customers tend to be organic in terms of internet searching i.e., they would rather go direct to the school website than via a third party.

In order to make a name for yourself as a supplier of pupils and other services to instructors you have to have something pretty outstanding as a unique selling point otherwise we are not going to be interested.  There are many suppliers out there.

Finally, as self-employed/franchised instructors we baulk against handing over money to any third party.

I hope that helps.

p.s. I'm so busy that I'm constantly turning people away!  I don't need or want any third party assistance to give me more people that I need to turn away.

#3 16-03-17 18:53:25

kaf
Verified Member
Website

You have wasted your time and money for reasons stated above,
Goodbye.

#4 16-03-17 21:20:57

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Teaching style:

calm
Inspiring
Supportive
Interactive
Firm

I'm all of those!   Don't know if you have done much research, but those who don't get recommends search the web and are usually looking for  the following rather than the above

How much
How quick

#5 16-03-17 22:43:15

Match2learn
Website

Okay.So -in a nutshell - any sort of listing would only benefit those instructors that have not yet built a reputation for themselves and therefore cannot rely as strongly on recommendations.

I appreciate what you are saying but if recommendations are such a driver then why do Instructors sign up to large Franchises (and their fees). Why then do Instructors create any online presence either social or web based? I've seen a lot of threads on handing out fliers - only to get 1 response from say 500 flyers. All this leg work and marketing efforts surely must mean then that an instructor , maybe not yourselves in particular, could see value in pupil finding services? (If that service knew what they were doing that is)

Year after year online purchases increases by a steady 10% and at some point in the near future people may not ask their friend who taught them to drive - if they have the online resource to find someone themselves.  Are instructors 'tech savvy' enough to build a big enough online presence to continue thriving? Or will they embrace using third party 'experts' as many other self employed people do ---- food for thought.

#6 17-03-17 08:12:33

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Is your system tech savvy enough to avoid sending leads which are over 25, or 50 or even 100 miles away from an instructors address?
Because that is an experience that many have had with other listing sites.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 17-03-17 08:44:26

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

pegasus wrote:

Hi
Is your system tech savvy enough to avoid sending leads which are over 25, or 50 or even 100 miles away from an instructors address?

Hey, I'm in Medway, Kent and they send leads that are only 10 miles away...across the river... in Essex!  10 miles plus all the rest going through the Dartford tunnel!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-03-17 09:22:57

Match2learn
Website

pegasus wrote:

Hi

Well our system in particular eliminates these sort of problems - for example Medway and Essex are two different areas to us and our database. we only find you work in areas you tell us to. Instructors set their own prices and we reward a student for purchasing member instructors lessons- all lessons are prepaid as well.

Its unfortunate that other people have left a bad taste in Instructors mouths. Off the same bat would you offer any advice as to what would actually make you consider signing up, to ours or any other third party service.  Or what would make an Instructor think, actually , this is worth my time?

Last edited by Match2learn (17-03-17 09:25:13)

#9 17-03-17 21:48:44

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I wouldn't consider signing up because I don't need it.  The business I get which isn't from recommends comes via the free advertising sites which I signed up to years ago, and my own website.   

Your biggest problem is that you are competing with many other similar sites, and as mentioned above by the good lady, it needs something very special to attract both pupils and ADIs. To be honest a go-karting offer would be of no interest to those wanting driving lessons.

Last edited by Roadmaster (17-03-17 22:00:09)

#10 17-03-17 22:59:36

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I've just been  perusing the website and I am gobsmacked that you are showing the date of birth of instructors.

What on earth are you thinking about?    Have you ever heard of identity theft?      Why do you think posting someone's DOB is useful to anyone other than those who want to clone an identity?

#11 18-03-17 15:21:44

Match2learn
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

I've just been  perusing the website and I am gobsmacked that you are showing the date of birth of instructors.

What on earth are you thinking about?    Have you ever heard of identity theft?      Why do you think posting someone's DOB is useful to anyone other than those who want to clone an identity?

Thanks for your feedback. DOB on our platform is not mandatory. There are roughly 900 million users on Facebook most of whom display their date of birth. You would get a notification on all social sites when it is someones birthday as well. We aimed to create 'profiles' for instructors as this is this is the trend for young people of today's age.

#12 18-03-17 21:32:12

Mentor
Verified Member

I'm with Roadmaster. The D.O.B of an instructor is spurious information in the context of your website. Having an instructor profile  on Facebook will be far more useful to any Driving Instructor seeking new business locally than any national find an instructor website.
As has been said before, 90% of our business comes from referrals and the rest from Facebook and our own Websites.  I can't see any need for yet another find an instructor site.

#13 19-03-17 16:16:22

Triplea35
Verified Member

Even if I were to use the site (and I don't intend to) I would want to know the charges up front, a 'small charge' is not sufficient.

Last edited by Triplea35 (19-03-17 16:34:43)

Board footer