You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-12-16 12:53:38

natty

question on signaling at a roundabout

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and a learner driver. My instructer is away for a couple weeks so I thought I'd come here to ask.

my question is ... when approching the round about from A to B on the image, what would your lane positioning and signaling be from approach to exit. do we not signal on approach at all cause its straight ahead ? or is it considered just third exit hense we have to signal right on aproaching fromA and left when exiting at B?

thank you in advance

Screen_Shot_2016_12_26_at_11_25_11.jpg

Last edited by natty (26-12-16 12:56:00)

26-12-16 12:53:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: question on signaling at a roundabout

#2 26-12-16 16:26:42

VandADI
Administrator

Hi there natty,
I have looked on Google maps and there is only one lane as you are approaching from Cotteswold Road, so your positioning would be a metre away from the kerb, if you zoom in you can see the correct positioning of a car already at the junction. There will be no signal as you approach as you are following the road ahead, third exit.     When you enter the roundabout in the left hand lane, follow the curve of the roundabout and then just as you pass the second exit, carry out your MSM routine, to take the third exit which is ahead.
Hope that helps.
Happy New Year.

#3 26-12-16 20:32:10

kaf
Verified Member
Website

As Vanda has stated, if the road is straight ahead, then no signal on approach.
Leaving a roundabout always involves a left turn, so mirrors and left signal as you pass the second exit.

#4 28-12-16 12:05:03

natty

thank you both for your responses. my instructor got back to me with this response today as well. 

You got two options
1) signal right then give a left exit signal to go down B and this would be safest option ,

2) would be to not signal right but you may find people from Finlay Road (the second exit from A or the exit before B) may pull out in front of you.
People use both these options but option 1 would be by far the safest and most clear one.
As far as your lane positioning when you are on the round about, for Option 1 position to the right lane and option 2 position on the left lane.

Last edited by natty (28-12-16 12:05:47)

#5 28-12-16 18:27:04

VandADI
Administrator

I would agree that most drivers would use both options, however a learner might not feel confident enough to execute option one safely. I would suggest trying both these options on lessons to see which you feel is the safest and easiest method.

Board footer