You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-11-16 13:54:33

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

What is it?

http://www.drivingnt.com/downloads2/What%20is%20it.jpg

Last edited by Zipper (19-11-16 13:55:28)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

19-11-16 13:54:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What is it?

#2 19-11-16 13:56:03

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Re: What is it?

Last week while on giving a lesson in my usual “nursery area” (a complex of sporting stadiums with a road looping around it – it was a quiet weekday afternoon with no one else in sight) I briefly saw something that has been playing in my mind ever since.
I noticed something moving along a few metres above the tree tops, parallel to the car in the opposite direction.

At first I thought it was a bit of lightweight debris floating on the breeze but then I changed my mind …
It was a gold-brown “tube” about 70cm high(?) with two or three kinks and some small protuberances.
It floated in a somewhat vertical position; the top was bent sharply forward with a round vertical “face” roughly like a periscope – the “face” had a black hole or button in the centre and what looked like pleats radiating out from it (rather like the ends of the armrests on certain plush sofas).
I couldn’t see whether the bottom of the tube was hollow or closed off.

As we drove slowly towards a speed bump in 2nd gear I had to crane forward and look up into the top right corner of the windscreen to keep it in sight as it floated past going the other way.
Just before I lost view of it, it suddenly twisted sharply to the right with the round “face” pointed directly down at us, and then it was out of sight.
After we completed the loop and came back to the same piece of road, I was unable to spot it again. (the student was a first-timer looking mainly at the road, he caught a quick glimpse of it but couldn’t help me identify it).
The attached sketch was drawn several days after the event – I wish I had the presence of mind to snap it with my camera phone.

So, what was it? Here are some of my thoughts.

Kite? No, I couldn’t see strings or attachment points, there was no-one else about in the open grassed area, and anyway it seemed to go with the breeze, not held against it on a tether like a kite.

Free floating balloon? Possibly, it did look like an inflated tube with a few small wrinkles and it was moving in roughly the same direction of the light breeze. What seemed unusual though was its constant upright position, and that sudden “twist” to face us was very un-balloon-like.

Remote controlled balloon (i.e. a drone)? Perhaps, and that sudden twist before it went out of sight startled me and made it seem controlled I wonder if the local army base was playing around with drones in the area, the button or hole in the centre of the face could have been a lens.

An alien? Very fanciful (no I hadn’t been drinking!) but it was certainly weird looking and acted like it was sentient if not controlled. That black hole/button could’ve been a single eye looking at us. On the other hand, if it was actually twisting AWAY from us, perhaps we were being mooned by an alien (exciting thought)! (I like this last explanation best).

Has anyone any idea what it was?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer