You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif RDAC

#1 20-07-16 00:23:31

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Technology

With the advent of new in-car technologies there seems to be a general dumbing down of the skills required to drive.  For example, front and rear parking sensors, automatic headlights and wipers, hill assist, electronic handbrake, city brake assist etc.  Should we as instructors use these by default on our lessons with the knowledge that most of our pupils will not have cars that have the latest in-car technonogy?  Or should we teach them to use them but not rely on them?

20-07-16 00:23:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Technology

#2 20-07-16 05:37:27

Triplea35
Verified Member

My current car has cruise/limiter, and parking sensors with audio and visual warning on screen. Fortunately I can teach pupils with and without these options activated. A bit different when we get cars and can't deactivate and use conventional method, such as electronic handbrake, but we can't drive around/teach in old cars and resist progress. I think most newly qualified pupils have the where with all to adapt to new technology, more so than some of their parents!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 20-07-16 10:52:11

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

It's a good topic to bring up, Lady-Hynarc (can you tell us how you came by your user-name?)

People down here in the NT tend to hang on to old cars as long as they can, generally giving or selling them to their kids (after hours the suburban streets are crowded with parked cars, nothing unusual to have 4 to 6 cars even more belonging to the same house, I suspect even the dogs & cats have their own cars sometimes).

So a lot of my young students will have older cars without all the gizmos, and I like to teach them to get by as much as possible without modern driver aids.

It's good if the aids can be switched off e.g. my ageing Golf has an electronic self-dimming centre mirror, and I can only explain how to use the simpler "flip the little lever" double-image type mirrors without demonstrating it.
And if the car is press-button start, how do I teach them to "defeat a jammed steering lock" on a keyed ignition system?

Cruise controls - they're pretty much standard these days, I make sure all my students know about them and when NOT to use them.
I'm thinking about the situation in the US where a man bought a motor home with cruise control, the salesman didn't explain how it worked and of course being a male he didn't read the manual (as a fellow male, am I allowed to forgive him for this?).
He got up to speed and settled down on a highway, set cruise the control, and stepped into the back of the motor home to "fix himself a cawfee".
Luckily he survived the aftermath although his moror home didn't.
I often give my students an A4 handout based on my website cruise control page: http://www.drivingnt.com/tips/cruisecontrol.html

Triplea35 is correct, youngsters are quick to adapt to technology, by certain drivers of ANY age group can't adapt so well.
Like the tourists who drove into the sea or river or something like that, because the GPS told them to do so.

We can't do anything to slow or stop the forward march of technology, we just have to learn how to deal with it - especially when teaching.

P.S. Triplea35, you have a speed limiter? What make/model of car has those?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 20-07-16 11:04:25

pegasus
Verified Member

I have recently heard of a 30yr old company CEO who usually drives a car with an Automatic stop feature, not just proximity sensors, when driving a hire car of the same make but lower spec he just sat there waiting for it to stop but it didn't and drove straight into his garage doors.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 20-07-16 19:04:06

Triplea35
Verified Member

Zipper wrote:

P.S. Triplea35, you have a speed limiter? What make/model of car has those?

Hi Zipper, It's a Citroen C3. They have been fitted as standard on most models for quite a few years. The cruise/limiter use the same hand controls with just a rocker switch to swap over. The limiter is a very useful teaching tool both for those who unintentionally speed and I find on occasion those who fail to make progress etc. Most only use them for a lesson or two, and sensibly state they don't want to become reliant on them, a few have used them even for test.

I was looking at a top end VW recently and they wanted £255 extra for cruise and didn't even offer a limiter.

#6 21-07-16 21:01:41

Evan
Administrator

The way things are going I think that both pupils and parents will just buy a full licence from Amazon or Ebay, why go to the trouble and expense of learning?  smile  smile

This is obviously a sarcastic comment but sometimes I do wonder what parents and pupils expectations are!

#7 21-07-16 21:44:42

Joe24
Verified Member

Move with the times. driving test changing to align up with modern driving. We need to do the same.

#8 31-07-16 21:23:59

whodareswins
Verified Member

This phenomenon is called Risk Compensation or (alternatively) Risk Homeostasis. Too tired to elaborate - suggest you Google it. Very interesting phenomenon which can be encountered in all aspects of our lives and not just driving.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#9 31-08-16 19:06:05

Macallan

I dont think we should use parking sensors when first teaching. You have to prepare your pupil for handling a car that doesnt have any fancy electronic aids first, otherwise they will have no all-round observational skills when reversing.
I dont mind any of the electronic technology in my car, but draw the line at using parking sensors.

#10 02-09-16 15:39:34

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Use all the aids on the car, that's what they are there for and usually assist with safety.
Car tech is progressing rapidly, if you don't teach them how to use it there's no point having it.  If it isn't on the car they buy it doesn't matter, they will adapt, but if it is at least they will know how to use it.

Board footer