You are not logged in.

#26 26-02-14 00:21:38

AUTAX
Verified Member

Re: Should elderly drivers be re-tested?

Look, I'm not singling out the elderly but where young drivers learn and get better, elderly do deteriorate. We've all seen the old dodderer that seems to just look ahead completely oblivious on what's going on around them.

Yes there are youngsters that cause collisions or crash but it's not because they are loosing their faculties it's because of lack of experience but the majority do learn enough to become good drivers. The elderly will loose their faculties as they get older.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

26-02-14 00:21:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#27 26-02-14 06:56:27

Roadmaster
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

How many elderly get where they going? Not because of their good driving skills but because of the good driving skills of others in avoiding these drivers?

What a load of rubbish autax.    So everyone on the roads are safe except oaps?
They are alrteady being assessed by the fact they have many years of no claims on their insurance.

My 84 year old neighbour is the only one, apart from me, who obeys the 20mph speed limit on our estate!

Last edited by Roadmaster (26-02-14 06:58:04)

#28 26-02-14 07:22:07

AUTAX
Verified Member

RM it is not rubbish. You cannot deny that as people get older their motor skills deteriorate. There are always exceptions, rare exceptions but that is where periodic testing or assessing will benefit.

I'm no spring chicken and I can quite happily drive down an Autobahn at 110 MPH when the conditions allow but I know it will not last forever because I will not last forever. Before I shuffle off this mortal coil I know that there may be a day when I am no longer in control of my faculties as I once was and will have to stop driving.

Get involved with NDAC and you will be surprised how many people of all ages really should be periodically assessed. I would welcome it; it could involve ADIs in the assessing which would secure the livelihood of those that are struggling against the tide of 10 for £60 brigade.

Last edited by AUTAX (26-02-14 07:22:56)

#29 26-02-14 08:12:05

Triplea35
Verified Member

Many older people are savagely independent and refuse to give up their licence until after considerable pressure from family members or  are forced to.

My wife's uncle in his early 80's should have stopped but continued. On his way to his weekly shop he caused what potentially could have been a very serious accident. He escaped prosecution by agreeing to give up his licence. The officer dealing with the incident, in a rural location, told my wife that this was becoming an ever increasing occurence. No doubt with an ever ageing population.

My wife's stepmother  in her mid 80's has hit her garage door post three times recently on her weekly shopping trip and has finally agreed to consider stop driving. Getting a taxi once a week will be far cheaper than running a car and the repair bills!

Last edited by Triplea35 (26-02-14 08:17:44)

#30 26-02-14 08:17:11

Roadmaster
Verified Member

So it's all about money?   Do you not think the 10 for 60 brigade would see it as a good opportunity to sell their cheap assessments?

Years ago I played football and was pretty good.   I'm knackered now and my skills have dimiished, should I go for an assessment to hone my skills again?  Driving skills do not diminish with age.  You don't forget how to drive because you get older. 
Many oaps have loads of years of claim free insurance, which suggests that they  must be driving safely.   Insurers agree because premiums are lower.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#31 26-02-14 08:37:35

AUTAX
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

....Driving skills do not diminish with age.  You don't forget how to drive because you get older. 
Many oaps have loads of years of claim free insurance, which suggests that they must be driving safely.   Insurers agree because premiums are lower.

Come RM, it's a medically known fact that your reactions deteriorate with age. You said it yourself you are knackered. Thats the physical side of it. Some one with arthritis would not be able to get on the brake as quick as a nimble younger person. Their brain takes longer to assimilate information the older they get. It is a very slow degeneration. People don't realise it's happening.

Many oaps may have years of claims free motoring but look at some of their cars. Dents & scratches off of gate posts, garage doors, cars in car parks. Just because they don't claim or are not caught doesn't mean they are safe, accurate drivers. A lot of oaps will pay for the repairs themselves rather than go throughout the insurance company. You cannot assume that because their premiums are low that they are careful attentive and alert drivers. They have passed the peak of their performance and are slowly getting worse.

#32 26-02-14 08:42:54

Triplea35
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

Driving skills do not diminish with age.

You cannot be serious RM?
It comes to us all sooner or later, some sooner than others! Its just the current systems in place does not always identify when the time has come.

#33 26-02-14 09:02:59

AUTAX
Verified Member

@RM, are you in denial old boy?  smile

Lets grow older and more wiser gracefully yes but there must be a realisation that we are not going to be as fit and agile both mentally and physically as we used to be.

It is not about money and I am not singling out the elderly. As has been said before, a good time to get an assessment is during the 10 year licence renewal time. Certain ADIs qualified and under the police/DVLA umbrella could well be the guys to carry out this task. I do it now for Dorset police. It is in my remit to report a person who I think should surrender his or her licence because they have become a danger to themselves and others on the road whilst carrying out on the road driver assessments. It's happened once but there have been a few border line cases and they have responded by getting further remedial tuition from an ADI.

People ask where can we get this sort of help from. They do not realise that they can lift the phone and talk to a local ADI who should be only to happy to re tune their driving skills. Maybe that's all it takes but there is no National campaign to encourage the elderly to take driving lessons with an ADI. There should be.

#34 26-02-14 10:31:55

Roadmaster
Verified Member

What would be the point of an 'assessment'?

Would it be

a) to see if they were ok at driving
b) to improve their standard
c) to give ADIs a new income source

If it is a) why would you want to check someone who hasn't got a problem with the driving?
if it's b) I already asked this above, is OK not acceptable?

You want to mass check every driver over a certain age just because a minority might not be up to it.  That's nonsense.  It's a waste of time, money and effort.  Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.   There are already arrangements for those who need to be assessed.

#35 16-08-16 10:58:32

RSMDrive

Hi there, this question is one I struggle to answer with a definite answer, I have mixed views on this and after speaking with my pupils on the matter my opinion changes from time to time. Whilst getting older our reactions can slow down, we can become more confused and vulnerable and also our eye sight in many cases can weaken. I would say a retest may seem a bit harsh but I think maybe eye test being done and sent to the DVLA to show that its still fit enough to drive would help on the matter and if its a certain result then maybe a retest should be done. I generally think that its up to the individual, they know their abilities so if they feel that they are no longer fit to drive then they should not.

#36 16-08-16 21:02:42

Evan
Administrator

I see very few elderly drivers, texting and driving!!
It's easy to point the finger at a certain group in society and say this law or that law should apply.

Deal with those causing the risks, irrespective of age, if you buy a bag of potatoes and one is rotten do you throw the whole bag away?

#37 18-08-16 15:14:11

VandADI
Administrator

I agree with Evan.
It is the ability to drive safely, irrespective of age.
So should there be some sort of compulsory driving assessment every xx amount of years then?

Board footer