You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-07-16 15:21:52

Pootles

Hello - advice pls on junction query

Hello

I've been driving for some time (UK), but find the learning never really stops.  I'm pleased to have found this forum.

Sorry I can't post a diagram directly into this post.  On this link, the road layout is the same as the 4th diagram (Figure 7-8).

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk

If there are two cars - Car A leaving the major road turning right; Car B leaving the minor road turning right.  Does one have priority over the other?

I have searched the Highway Code, but cannot find the answer.

Thanks.

19-07-16 15:21:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hello - advice pls on junction query

#2 19-07-16 21:51:40

Joe24
Verified Member

Car A has priority over car B in the side road. Just like a normal right turn. Car B might pull out and wait in front of car A. In that case car A would have to wait depending on how car B positions himself.

We have the exact same layout at a junction locally. (Skipton)

My advice to pupils (presuming we are car A) is give way to oncoming traffic as normal. Keep an eye on car B but they "should" give way.
We have had some bad accidents at this junction. I personally think the side road should be a STOP junction. There was an incident on a test where pupil was car B turning right. They pulled out with car approaching at 60mph from left and the rookie examiner failed to press duals.......... and examiner had to be airlifted to hospital.  yikes

Last edited by Joe24 (19-07-16 21:55:20)

#3 19-07-16 23:59:44

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

I don't agree...probably.  The mere presence of the give way line on the major road implies to me that priority is being changed from the normal where they would have right of way to a different system where they don't.  However, I would advise any driver to exercise extreme caution.

#4 20-07-16 05:10:48

Triplea35
Verified Member

Totally agree with Lady-Hynarc. We have also have one very similar. If car B waiting to come out of side road Car A waits and allows them to cross into the central reservation. Ours is on a brow of a hill and vision is a bit restricted and ok for Car A to move forward beyond The Give Way lines if no one waiting to emerge right from the side road, to have a better look before turning across oncoming traffic.
Our junction is on a test route and have seen pupils turning right from the minor road faulted for not moving into the central reservation whilst cars waiting to turn right from the central reservation.
Obviously treat with care and expect other road users to do the unexpected!

#5 20-07-16 21:09:24

Joe24
Verified Member

For us car A gives way at the diagonal give way if a car is waiting to turn right in the middle. If not car A proceeds.

It's was brought up with local examiners who said major road has priority over minor road but approach with caution because as this thread proves everybody has differing ideas.

#6 21-07-16 06:26:03

kaf
Verified Member
Website

The closest parallel to this is a crossroads.
With both cars on minor road from opposite sides.
Both have give way lines.
Both have to cross a major roads.
I would consider dealing with it in the same way.
No priorities, watch and take care.

#7 30-07-16 09:16:23

Pootles

Wow - thanks for all the replies!  It's interesting to see the differences in opinion on how to handle this junction.

My son is now learning (although he has yet to tackle this gem) which has prompted me to question whether there was a definitive answer.

I shall continue to approach it with extreme caution.

Thanks again.

Board footer