You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-07-16 12:01:28

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Twin v Twin

I’ve given some lessons each to twin girls, each got a similar lesson because their rate of progress is much the same (they are very similar in outlook and ability).
Both are doing well in my manual diesel Golf and I try to make sure I don’t show favouritism.

The parents are cooperating by giving them quality private practice, but find it hard to accommodate both of them, so they have decided to concentrate on getting one twin through to her driving test and when that’s been accomplished, concentrate on the other twin.

This is where I come into it, they want me to decide which twin “goes first”, and I wish I’m not the one to decide as they are both lovely girls and both want their licenses ASAP.

Last week I picked up the first twin – before we drove off she explained the situation and “pleaded her case” so to speak.
Next day the 2nd twin did the same on her lesson.
I didn’t make any promises.

The following day the mother rang me to explain the situation – she asked me to consider who should go first.
I tried to wriggle out of it by asking her to sit in the next lesson for each twin to gauge their rate of progress for herself.
Nope! I think Mum feels about the same way I do, and doesn’t want to be the one to cause dissention within the family.

OK so it’s up to me, I have to give them one more lesson each then make a decision.
Do you think I’m being “over the top” by worrying about this?

PS
I’ve always been this way.
In my younger days while working in the outback gold mining town of Tennant Creek I joined the Australian Apex young men’s service club – apart from dinner meetings and practicing oration & debate, we did things like maintain public kid’s playgrounds, raise money for community service, clean pensioner’s gardens – and build a freshwater recreation dam with help from the “oldies” in the Lions Club.
(I was the Commodore of the Tennant Creek Yacht Club* for a couple of years*).

One of our projects was to run an amateur weekly town newspaper, we all wrote articles, helped with the layout, and took turns to be editor for the week.
My permanent job was to design and judge the kid’s weekly colouring competition.
I always agonised over this, every time I chose a winner (whose parent probably helped with the colouring) I would think of the disappointment of the youngsters who didn’t win.
We didn’t have the money to give a consolation prize to every entrant.
And I have never liked to encourage competitiveness in the very young – think of the American “Little League” baseball or soccer** games where the little ones who usually don’t really care who wins or loses, stand around watching their parents come to blows.

** After 2 years of inactivity, (no yachts, no water in the dam, this is bang in the middle of arid Australia don’t forget) a good wet season finally filled Tennant Creek, dry most of the year, with enough water to float my mate’s little catamaran in the dam.

The “cat” was made of two flat surfboards joined together when they weren’t being used as surfboards (waves in the little dam rarely got higher than half a centimetre).
It went well but with a tail wind had a tendency to nosedive and dig the front in, finishing bum-up and mast-down (the intrepid yachtsman finishing bum-up, nose down and under water).

The First Commodore of the Tennant Creek Yacht Club i.e. me, has the distinction of being the first member to dig the mast into the bottom of the dam and to swim (unknowingly for a while) round and round in circles in a vain attempt to drag the thing ashore.
The spectators on shore wet themselves.

** Sorry to use the “S” word in a UK environment (John Cleese would murder me) but I come from a land where “soccer” isn’t football, Australian Rules football is.
Some misguided people also play rugby.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

09-07-16 12:01:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Twin v Twin

#2 09-07-16 16:47:49

Mentor
Verified Member

Toss a coin. Paper Scissors Rock or anything that means you don't have to choose.

#3 09-07-16 18:37:04

kaf
Verified Member
Website

No way do I choose.
They find their own way to resolve it.

#4 10-07-16 09:52:56

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Personally I woulld say if they are both progressing the same, make test application for both at the same time and let the authorities take the hit.
I had twins and did that and they  actally got back to back tests. Both passed but examiner needed persuading tyhat he wasn't taking the same person again.

#5 16-07-16 12:58:48

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your comments everyone.

The decision has been made!

After 5 lessons each in the manual, there wasn't a lot of difference, Byrtne perhaps being very slightly ahead of Shiyon.
It was a mutual decision between the mother and myself - I suggested alphabetically with Brytne first then Shiyon, and also because I had taken Brytne out first.
I had explained to the twins that I was very uncomfortable being in the position of making a choice, and being nice girls they were both sympathetic.

So Brytne did her first lesson in a series today, an introduction to the dreaded reverse parallel park (using poles to simulate a car in a quiet carpark), and a turn-in-the-road (we call it a "3 point turn" even if it needs 5 movements), and a re-visit of the slanted parks and the 90 degree bay parks (we call them both "angle parks", I think you call them bay parks in the UK).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#6 21-08-16 21:10:40

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

After 10 lessons with me and a lot of driving with her parents, Brytne passed her driving test yesterday with only 2 minors, in my manual.
She's a happy young lady.

She'll be driving a little family car around, until twin sister Shiyon passes her test.
Who knows what will happen then ... share the car? ... a car each? ... I'm glad I don't have to sort that one out myself (or pay for a second car either).

Last edited by Zipper (23-08-16 23:25:27)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#7 23-08-16 21:20:56

Mentor
Verified Member

Well done Zipper. A good result!

Board footer