You are not logged in.

#1 15-06-16 06:21:20

CrystalAK

Hi All - New Learner here

Hi

Just thought I'd pop a line to say hello.

I'm an older learner (34), I did have a few lessons back when I was 18yrs, but I was unconfident and nervous. I'm learning now as it's becoming apparent that my mother may have to give up her licence due to health issues at some point in the near future. So I'd figured if I knew how to drive then, it wouldn't be such a huge shock to the system.

My main concern is getting over the nerves I had when I learnt previously. I just have to get it into my head, that I'm not the person I was at 18yrs anymore. I'm more confident now than I was back then. I managed to get my CBT for a little scooter (still would love a bike, though)

However me & dad have decided that it is best not to let my mother into the secret. As it would get her back up, she's already edgy about the thought of giving up her licence (and she's the one that brought it up). Hopefully, the instructor might be able to pick me up from work.

15-06-16 06:21:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hi All - New Learner here

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-06-16 06:44:27

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Welcome.
I've no doubt an instructor will be able to pick you up from work and probably drop you off where mum can't see smile

You will find a difference learning to drive at the ripe old age of 34.
Generally, you may take a bit longer to pick some things up.
On the flip side you will have a much greater awareness of the dangers and risks on the road.

Driving is a great new skill,to have. Don't put yourself under pressure of time. Go into it with the attitude that you goal is to become a safe driver and that it will take as long as it takes.
Don't focus on or think about a driving test. If you focus on becoming a good driver then passing your test will be a doddle.
Good luck.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 15-06-16 10:13:05

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Welcome Krystal (I'm from Down Under).

Don't worry about being an "older" driver, the oldest person I've taught was 66 (my current age) and I'll bet some UK instructors have taught older people.
If you've read other forum posts you'll see that learners in your age group have in general, a couple of advantages over the younger learners namely: a more mature outlook (meaning more common-sense), and following on from this, better observational skills.
The youngsters often need to be specifically taught to analyse and recognise danger whereas the older learners with their longer life experience have a better understanding of real and potential hazards even when they're doing something new such as learning to drive.
And youngsters have to be taught to LOOK and to SEE - this is a lot easier for the older learners.

Excellent advice from Kaf and nicely put:

kaf wrote:

... Driving is a great new skill to have. Don't put yourself under pressure of time. Go into it with the attitude that you goal is to become a safe driver and that it will take as long as it takes.
Don't focus on or think about a driving test. If you focus on becoming a good driver then passing your test will be a doddle.
Good luck.

Last edited by Zipper (15-06-16 21:59:14)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 15-06-16 14:18:36

CrystalAK

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice that I have a place to ask questions in

I have brought the AA Theory Test & Highway Code book, as well as a book for Traffic Signs.
I think making a start on getting the theory test, is the better course of action. As I need to get the TEFL Course that I'm currently enrolled on finished, but only got 3 assignments and 2mths before I need to be finished by. Which is easily achievable. And it gives me time to do my homework on finding the right driving school.

#5 15-06-16 15:05:39

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Those books are a good start. Consider signing up for http://theorytestpro.co.uk/student/ for some practice tests once you feel you are almost ready for your theory test.
Ask around your area for instructor recommendations, research on google as well.
Ask whichever one you are interested in using to visit you at home to discuss how they go about thier training, your specific needs and to check that they are a fully qualified instructor, not a trainee. Ask to see their ADI badge, they should show you a green one if they are fully qualified. Pink badge means trainee.
Remember, you are th customer, they should adapt thier training to suit how you learn.
Ultimately if you are not happy with them remember, you can and should fire them!
It's your training take control of it.

Board footer