You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-16 19:35:53

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Private Practice

Having given up with Facebook groups because they are full of arrogant know-it-alls, I suddenly realised that I now have no-one to ask when I get a problem.  Not too clever really.  So I thought I'd post here, probably more in hope than expectation.

Private Practice - It's one of those things that the DVSA recommends and we all encourage but recent experiences have made me start to question the unquestionable wisdom of those views.  I find that private practice can be as damaging as it can be helpful and that actually a learner with examples of good driving at home is in a better place than someone who practices with a bad driver. 

I wonder what the best approach is to private practice.  It is difficult to establish whether a parent's involvement is likely to be good or bad without evaluating them - unlikely to happen!  Furthermore, is it best for the learner to go out to practice specific things or, as I did when I was learning, just drive?  Whenever my mum needed to go somewhere, I drove.  She didn't try to teach or guide me - just let me get on with it.  In fairness it wasn't quite so dangerous in those days.

So, what is your view of private practice?  Good, bad?  How should it be done?

07-06-16 19:35:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Private Practice

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-06-16 06:51:53

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I usually judge the parents driving by how my student reacts to private practice. If they start producing faults they didn't have before, i know why!
I usually talk to the parents and tell them a few things.
1. Only practic things they have already done, don't take on new subjects. Teaching is my job,mothers is to allow practuce.
2. Don't tell the offspring what to do, it will only cause confusion and arguments. Instead if they see a situation they are not sure about, ask the student what they are going to do. This encourages the student to make decisions for themselves and reduces arguments

I have on occasion been quite firm with telling parents to shut up and let the kid drive!

I find giving them a short list of things to watch for can help. Eg. Focus on mirror checks, changing up earlier, road position, can help. It enables them to target certain skills.

Ultimately where a parent has harmed learning I have told the student to stop doing private practice, it's pointless if practice means I have to spend the next lesson stopping them from doing things that are unsafe.

#3 08-06-16 08:59:06

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Thanks Kaf, that firms up my thinking.  I've also strongly suggested to pupils that they should stop private practice where I feel it is counter-productive.

#4 08-06-16 09:16:40

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

I agree with KAF.

I sometimes find it productive or counter productive so you need to keep a close eye on it.

I had a pupil who was nearing test, really good standard and she started driving erratically..too fast towards roundabouts, cutting corners, braking hard... then one day I arrived to pick her up a bit early and this white Renault Megane came sreaming down the street well above speed limit and screeched to a halt. Out got my pupil as a passenger and of course she was copying her boyfriends crap driving.

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

#5 09-06-16 17:19:02

DonT
Verified Member

Not in the job now but what KAF says is right. In fact you yourself are right because you have the training and qualifications.

Board footer