You are not logged in.

#1 14-04-16 18:40:41

John56

Gap in Dual Carriageway Priorities

If I am in the centre gap of a central reservation of a dual carriageway correctly positioned on the left of the centre gap wanting to turn right onto the dual carriageway and directly opposite me there is a car at a give way line of a side road wanting to come straight out and into the same centre gap that I am presently in who has right of way ?
Many thanks.

14-04-16 18:40:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Gap in Dual Carriageway Priorities

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 14-04-16 19:45:49

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Dangerous to think right of way, what happens if the other guy doesn't agree?

Right of way doesn't actually exist, nobody has a right to do anything.

Think of priority instead.

In such a situation priority cannot be taken, it can only be given. You need to make eye contact with the other driver, judge if they are going to move or not, if not then start to move slowly, watch thier reaction and be prepared to stop if they try to race you for the space.

If it was me I would give priority to the car already on the dual carriageway, but there is no guarantee the person you meet will be me  big_smile

Last edited by kaf (14-04-16 19:46:36)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 14-04-16 19:56:13

John56

kaf wrote:

Dangerous to think right of way, what happens if the other guy doesn't agree?

Right of way doesn't actually exist, nobody has a right to do anything.

Think of priority instead.

In such a situation priority cannot be taken, it can only be given. You need to make eye contact with the other driver, judge if they are going to move or not, if not then start to move slowly, watch thier reaction and be prepared to stop if they try to race you for the space.

If it was me I would give priority to the car already on the dual carriageway, but there is no guarantee the person you meet will be me  big_smile

Many thanks Kaf.

Guess I was trying to balance that in a head on type situation the person going straight on or left normally has priority over the person turning right against the fact that I'm already in the centre gap of the dual carriageway though there was plenty of room for him to come out from his side road opposite me and fit in the centre gap. My gut feeling was to do as you suggested and watch carefully as me turning right at the same time as him setting off to come straight into the centre gap could be dangerous.

Board footer