You are not logged in.

#1 31-03-16 20:49:15

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Changing Down

A bit of a strange question from someone who is not a newbie.  How do I get a pupil to judge when to change down through the gears.  A particular pupil this morning decided to take a generous left turn in 3rd gear because she didn't realise she was in 3rd...thought she was in 2nd!  In my car it is almost impossible to detect by engine noise slow third or not so slow second gear, until you accelerate when it becomes very obvious.  Speedo isn't practical because it means taking the eyes off the road ahead, car lengths seems too rigid.  Any suggestions about how to get her to remember?  Thanks in advance...

31-03-16 20:49:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Changing Down

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 31-03-16 21:22:34

Laurence Jacquemin ADI
Verified Member
Website

Personally I often forget which gear I am in, my coping strategy is to 'feel' the gear stick when even I approach a junction/hazard. If it is up it is 1, 3 or 5, down and ti is 2, 4 or 6. Then use road speed and engine noise to work out the gear. I.e. if I have just been on a 30mph road and car sound normal then I am in 3rd, if gear is down and engine is revving then I am in 2nd, if it is labouring then I am in 4th.

Hope that makes sense?

Last edited by Laurence Jacquemin ADI (31-03-16 21:22:55)

#3 02-04-16 20:16:18

Evan
Administrator

If it doesn't happen every time I would just prompt when they forget, if it becomes more regular I would go back to left right turns and the MSPSGL procedure and get it reinstated.
I think the best of them forget occasionally!

#4 03-04-16 09:11:30

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Agree with all of the above, even I do it sometimes..and I tell my pupils this, it helps them realise that we all make mistakes occasionally and with time and patience the problem goes away, practice makes perfect....

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

Board footer