You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-03-16 20:16:12

amy2angelic

Advice on correct Roundabout lane please.

Hi guys,

I hope someone can offer some advice regarding the best lane to use on a local roundabout.
I will attach a photograph to make sure I explain myself properly.
There is a small roundabout (A)with only 2 exits, one at 9 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock ( the latter basically coming back on yourself). The first exit to the left has two lanes, and these lead to a much larger roundabout (B) where I always turn right.
My question is, if I Plan to leave the smaller roundabout to turn left but then head right on the larger roundabout, do I use the right hand lane on the smaller roundabout to turn left, then stay in the right hand lane ready to go right on the large roundabout. Or do I use the left lane to turn left and then change lanes once I am in between both roundabouts. Then move into the right lane (indicating correctly) before I reach the large roundabout.
I want to get this right as I do not want to cut people up, many have told me I should use the right lane when I turn left but that feels wrong as anything before 12 should be left.

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/amy2a … sort=3&o=0

Thanks!
Amy

27-03-16 20:16:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice on correct Roundabout lane please.

#2 28-03-16 05:42:21

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Hi Amy,

Let me say what I would do.  Generally I would use the right hand lane on roundabout A in preparation for turning right on roundabout B.  That's the easy answer...

What may happen now is that you will get a whole host of other answers/opinions, some contradictory, because driving instructors rarely agree about anything wink

Every roundabout has to be judged on its merits according to local conditions and what others do.  The 12 o'clock rule is only a guide which falls down on roundabouts like this and generally should be used with caution.  Personally I don't like it because it can lead novice drivers to be in the 'wrong' lane in respect of roundabouts like this.  I prefer to encourage learners to think for themselves and to make judgements based on what they see and not some predetermined guidelines which may or may not be applicable.  Others will disagree.  Oh, the joys of driving!

#3 28-03-16 06:39:50

Triplea35
Verified Member

I won't disagree with Lady-Hynarc and was in the process of typing a similar reply regarding that you were unlikely to get total agreement.

I would only add, that the 12 o'clock rule is a 'general rule' and that road signs or road markings might indicate otherwise.

Looking at street view on the approach to the first roundabout there is a road sign which indicates that you are on a two lane approach, with a two lane first  exit and the wording 'All Traffic' so suggests that you can use both lanes. With local knowledge that I was turning right at the second roundabout I would likely use the outer lane for the approach and exit at the first roundabout. If you are staying in the outer lane on the approach to first and second roundabouts you would need to be reasonably progressive and not holding other traffic up.

Having said that if I didn't know the area, the second roundabout is not signed on approach to the first, so unlikely to know it is there, so may well approach and exit in the nearside lane and safely move over into the offside lane when see the signs on the approach to the second roundabout.

Primarily though, Be Safe!, effective observations and signalling appropriately.

Last edited by Triplea35 (28-03-16 06:51:48)

#4 28-03-16 07:57:55

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I have never used the 12 o'clock rule because it doesn't work for the roundabouts in my area.

In answer to the question it doesn't matter which lane you use, the important factor is to negotiate the situation safely.  There is no right or wrong answer to this situation. 

If I was teaching a learner I  would probably show them the layout before getting to the roundabout then let them make the decision on which lane to use.    If I was driving I would use the right lane on approach.

#5 28-03-16 08:23:39

amy2angelic

Hi All,

I just want to thank you all so much for taking the time to comment.
Your opinions really have cleared things up for me. I have been looking at this with the wrong perspective. I didn't realise that 12 o'clock was just a general rule and can be negotiated with care.
Thanks again!

Amy

#6 28-03-16 11:15:43

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I agree with the previous comments.
The 12 o'clock rule is not a rule, it is a GUIDE to be used unless the set up of the roundabout demands a different course of action.

Board footer