You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-12-15 10:55:23

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

"Scramble Cossings" at light-controlled intersections

Darwin CBD (Central Business District) has a small grid of traffic light-controlled crossroads.
I'm keen to know how our traffic light system compares with, say, London.
Darwin is tiny compared to London of course.

There’s already one difference I’m aware of – ours go directly from red to green whereas UK traffic lights show an amber (I hope I’m right).
I’m OK with this, if an amber was introduced the local drivers would treat the lights like a countdown to start a drag race – well, more than they usually do anyway.

The order of precedence at “standard” intersections is as shown in my training handout http://www.drivingnt.com/downloads/CBD% … Lights.pdf
Turning vehicles give way to pedestrians.

This system has worked without attracting much criticism but recently Darwin Council has introduced “scramble crossings” in a bid to improve pedestrian safety.
Vehicles have a red while pedestrians have a green (they can cross diagonally if desired).
This has resulted in a longer wait for vehicles and has caused general outrage as seen in the NT news at
http://www.ntnews.com.au/ (read the article “Going Nowhere”).

Council’s cardinal sin is the greatest imposition that one can commit in the eyes of the poor suffering Darwin motorist – COUNCIL HAS SLOWED THEM DOWN AND CAUSED THEM TO WAIT A BIT LONGER AT LIGHTS!
In a similar vein, when the NT authorities lower speed limits, the public outrage is such that some complainers fall just short of committing self-immolation on a public road to make their point.
Forget issues such as road safety, roads shared by all types of users etc one must NOT slow down the Aussie motorist! Never ever ever!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

23-12-15 10:55:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: "Scramble Cossings" at light-controlled intersections

#2 25-12-15 21:40:17

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Hi Zipper, from quick look at your diagram I think our system is similar as far as the cars but we don't have green crossing lights for the pedestrians when cars also have green. In the situation you have in the diagram ALL traffic would have a red light whilst the pedestrians have their green. Some junctions may allow pedestrians to cross at one road when a filter is active on another but never with live traffic going into the road with the pedestrians if that makes sense.

I can't think of any crossings where pedestrians would officially cross diagonally but many do at crossroads

We get red AND amber together before the green.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 28-12-15 02:17:22

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

CantThinkofaName wrote:

... I think our system is similar as far as the cars but we don't have green crossing lights for the pedestrians when cars also have green. In the situation you have in the diagram ALL traffic would have a red light whilst the pedestrians have their green. Some junctions may allow pedestrians to cross at one road when a filter is active on another but never with live traffic going into the road with the pedestrians if that makes sense ...

Thanks for the info.
Yes it makes sense - Darwin Council introduced the "scramble crossings" on the 3 main sets of lights that carry the most pedestrian traffic so it was obviously done to improve pedestrian safety.
But Darwin motorists don't want to know that!
Even the local rag, usually a strong advocate of road safety, disappoints by complaining about the new crossings (again, from a motorist's point of view not a pedestrian's).
The Aussie "cult of the car" is alive and well down here!

Have a happy & prosperous New Year

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#4 29-12-15 02:08:18

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I've noticed the orange box with cross-hatches in some of your intersections, I presume these are where it is OK for cars turning right to stop in the box to give way to oncoming traffic?

In 2000 the Australian Federal Government "forced" the states & territories to adopt a common set of road rules as a model, they were also re-written using plain language instead of lawyer-speak, and they were SIMPLIFIED* (yay!).
All right hand turns are done the same way - a car can pause in the intersection while waiting to turn if necessary.
The paused car is "blocking the intersection" and cars behind can't cross the line until the front car has completed turning.

I haven't noticed arrow-shaped lights in UK diagrams, I would assume you have them because a lot of Australian traffic-control systems are borrowed from the UK.
Down here, following a green arrow-light means that all traffic crossing your path including pedestrians, have a red light (emergency vehicles and drunk morons running red lights are still given way to, of course)

* In the new road rules, even the term "junction" was dropped, they are all "intersections" now.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer