You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-11-15 09:16:23

whodareswins
Verified Member

Heads Up

If you should receive an e-maill purporting to come from HMRC and awarding a tax rebate (as I  did yesterday), DO NOT rspond. The email asks yoiu to follow a link to confirm your bank's sort code and your bank a/c number to enable them to transfer the money. Be careful out there.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

19-11-15 09:16:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Heads Up

#2 19-11-15 12:27:53

VandADI
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up, whodareswins smile

#3 19-11-15 14:20:28

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Been getting them for years. Simple answer never click on links on emails like that no matter who they are from.
Don't know if this works on all browsers but on mine if you hover the cursor over the link it then shows details of the destination and it very rarely matches the supposed sender.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 19-11-15 14:40:51

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

pegasus wrote:

Don't know if this works on all browsers but on mine if you hover the cursor over the link it then shows details of the destination and it very rarely matches the supposed sender.

Good tip but even then people need to be careful as they sometimes use sub domains that look very similar to the site they are trying to trick you into believing. For example "hmrc.taxrefund.com" looks like it is part of the HMRC web site but 'refund.com' is the actual domain you would go to.

Last edited by CantThinkofaName (19-11-15 14:42:37)

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#5 19-11-15 22:28:36

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Nearly every day I win a lottery, or come into an inheritance, or become eligible for a refund on my tax/phone/whatever bill, or have an unknown foreigner personally select me to look after his cash, etc etc etc.

Phishing scams seem to be on the increase so there must be plenty of people who succumb to them.
Some people are fools or downright lazy but others are vulnerable through no fault of their own.
My younger brother has a touch of autism, tends to accept things on face value and uses his computer daily, he's 3,000km away in South Australia and we don't converse much but I often wonder if one day he's going to become a victim.
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/09/21
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/09/22
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/09/23
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/09/24
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/09/25
http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2015/11/12

CantThinkofaName's comment on domains is very important: recently I received an email asking that I update the details of my account with PayPal.
I always reject ANY attempt to get me to provide bank account details - it's the basic defence against phishing - and sure enough a check of the sender's email address showed it wasn't from the genuine PayPal organisation (even though the words PayPal actually appeared in the address).

I also get a lot of "hello cutie* I want to get to know you" type of emails.
These are not a threat as such, but they are irritating.
(*Cutie ???? Obviously they don't know my age or what I look like lol )

My Outlook "blocked sender's list" is getting quite big, it's not unusual for me to hit the receive mail button I watch a large number of emails flash onto the screen only to immediately disappear as they are send to the junk email file.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer